Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of going to Canada

• 14-01-2016 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,786 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys
    Im 32 and never lived away from Ireland
    But iv decided its something I really want to do before I buy a house here and really settle down here,
    I'm really open to going anywhere but at the moment Canada seems like a good bet,
    I'm thinking about going to Canada on the 2 year holiday visa,
    iv worked in the Transport industry , office and computer side of things for over 10 years but I don't have any really college degrees behind me,
    I find it easy enough to change well paying jobs here because people know me or have worked with me at different stages but if I go to Canada would I find it difficult to get work with out a college degree behind me ?

Any one have any advice at all ,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

The adage 'It's not what you know, it's who you know' is the best advice that I can give. With all the jobs that you have had there, and all the people you worked with, do any of them now work in Canada or know anyone there?

A recommendation from someone you know, who knows a potential employer (or one their employees) will be worth more than a college degree.

Scope out where you'd like to go. To say you are going to Canada is akin to saying you are going to Europe, e.g. Quebec or France? Ontario or the UK? :pac:

Typically most jobs are not advertised to the general public; a company will often (or usually) first look to fill a position from within. If a current employee is aware of an opening, a recommendation from one of them will give a potential candidate a huge boost. Next a company may look at CV's already on file or people they previously employed or interviewed. Then they may try to use an agency to source candidates, and (or) failing that they might finally advertise the job to the general public.

My main point with all that is that you are probably seeing only a small percentage of the available jobs if you just look on jobs.com and the like.

Build a list of companies which may have positions that suit you. You will increase your chances 1000 fold if you know someone in that company or send a CV to the right person versus sending a CV to hr@company.com.

Advertisement