Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC feminists outraged at cup size reference...

• 14-01-2016 2:42pm

...apparently the student centre is flogging coffee with the "what's your cup size" tagline...and in some cases using the follow up "cheap looking" mock retort.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/examviral/real-life/ucc-feminist-society-outraged-by-disrespectful-advertising-376185.html

Not sure it should upset the feminists that much, the first thing that struck me was just how puerile the line is. "Ooooooooh someone made a boob reference, snigger snigger". But surprised that someone somewhere didn't point out that not only is it incredibly stupid and clunky, but it IS 2015 and while the feminists shouldn't get too hysterical on the other hand we can actually live without such efforts. The Wonderbra stuff was 20 years ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Perhaps it's a reference to cups worn to protect men's genitals.

Pesky feminists never thought of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I have a new game. The aim is to try spot a sentence containing the word "feminists" that doesnt also contain the word "outraged".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

but it IS 2015

It's 2016 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Sounds like a scene from a Carry On film

Kenneth Williams; I'd like a coffee please

Hattie Jacques; Would you like one of my extra large cups?

Sid James; That stupid laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

It is a well known fact that all feminists have small boobs.

keano_afc wrote: »
    I have a new game. The aim is to try spot a sentence containing the word "feminists" that doesnt also contain the word "outraged".

True.

But I guess in this world, mild objection gets drowned. It's all about catastrophisation or aggrandisation, everything is the best or the worst.

c_man wrote: »

I usually start to recognise and remember it around the start of February!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Perhaps it's a reference to cups worn to protect men's genitals.

Pesky feminists never thought of that.

The cups and posters in question are hot pink and have the outline of a woman's body. If I can find the images again on Facebook I will link to them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

They should stop pretending they don't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Just a storm in a c-cup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

ITS THE CURRENT YEAR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

So glad I went to college during the times when the feminist society didn't even exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

The only thing offensive about this is how stupid and unfunny it is. These ads were devised by adults who got paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The adverts are shíte from a creative standpoint but the reactions are funny.

Have they complained this one, too?

And this one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Bio Mech wrote: »
    So glad I went to college during the times when the feminist society didn't even exist.

they existed, twitter and online 24 hour news didn't.

miamee wrote: »
    The cups and posters in question are hot pink and have the outline of a woman's body. If I can find the images again on Facebook I will link to them here.

Could be a transsexual body. Don't discriminate and assume its a woman. People will get incredibly outraged.

strelok wrote: »
    they existed, twitter and online 24 hour news didn't.

They didn't exist in the college I went to.

Bio Mech wrote: »
    They didn't exist in the college I went to.

institute of technology riyadh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It is a well known fact that all feminists have small boobs.
    I'm confused, I thought it was a well known fact that all feminists were short-haired land whales.

Does not compute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Outraged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'm confused, I thought it was a well known fact that all feminists were short-haired land whales.

Does not compute.

In general they are

I wonder which comes first, the ugliness or the feminism, there is a definite link between the two

Mod: banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Bulbous Salutation

That continuous need to be outraged can't be good for a person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It's getting to the stage now where the only place you'll be able to see a bit of brassiere-inspired schoolboy humour is in Garda stations and insurance offices. :pac:

institute of technology riyadh?

No I didn't have the points to get in there, Irish University in late 90s. There just wasn't a feminist society. There was a biology soc, fencing soc, LGBT soc, wrestling soc and a chess soc but no feminist soc.

It was quite harmonious, I even went to an LGBT night in the union and they let me in even though I am straight. Simpler times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

...apparently the student centre is flogging coffee with the "what's your cup size" tagline...and in some cases using the follow up "cheap looking" mock retort.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/examviral/real-life/ucc-feminist-society-outraged-by-disrespectful-advertising-376185.html

Not sure it should upset the feminists that much, the first thing that struck me was just how puerile the line is. "Ooooooooh someone made a boob reference, snigger snigger". But surprised that someone somewhere didn't point out that not only is it incredibly stupid and clunky, but it IS 2015 and while the feminists shouldn't get too hysterical on the other hand we can actually live without such efforts. The Wonderbra stuff was 20 years ago now.

You know, I actually agree with them tbh, stupid ad campaign to have in a university. People deserve better. Outrage is probably the wrong word for them to use.

The comments on their facebook post are filled with 'hilarious' intellectual heavywights, posting ****ty memes they read on american sites about the spooky SJWs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

That feminist society is shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

nokia69 wrote: »
    In general they are

I wonder which comes first, the ugliness or the feminism, there is a definite link between the two

All the feminists I know are total rides.

RWCNT wrote: »
    All the feminists I know are total rides.

would they be comfortable with you objectifying them like this on a public website?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

would they be comfortable with you objectifying them like this on a public website?

Im not posting pics or names and I'm under an alias, so probably, yeah.

To be fair, the sign in the article has a drawing of a woman's boobs with 'Cheap Looking!!' written beside it in huge print.

It's tacky and tasteless but it doesn't offend me. I repeat, IT DOESN'T OFFEND ME.

I'd like to see the reactions if there was a drawing of testicles with 'Nasty Looking' or something similar beside it though.

Them ugly landwhale feminists though, being offensive by being offended and all that stuff. Again. Sure they're only jealous.

Candie wrote: »
    ...It's tacky and tasteless but it doesn't offend me. I repeat, IT DOESN'T OFFEND ME...

That would be like Ginny Rometty or Carly Fiorina being offended by Beavis and Butt-Head.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd like to see the reactions if there was a drawing of testicles with 'Nasty Looking' or something similar beside it though.
    Work away. They're pretty bloody daft looking anyway. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

... I'd like to see the reactions if there was a drawing of testicles with 'Nasty Looking' or something similar beside it though.
    Which reactions?

The feminists reactions? I'm betting there'd be none.
    The patriarchy's reaction? I'm still betting none.
    The Boards reaction? Easy - the usual rabbit hole echo chamber, with someone else posting "I'd like to see the reactions if there was a drawing of tits..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Wibbs wrote: »

dont you oppress me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That continuous need to be outraged can't be good for a person.

And then you've the outrage at the outrage, and the whole becomes outrageous.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

From the article/ArseBook page;

UCC Feminist Society are incredibly outraged by this so called 'advertising' seen in the Student Centre advertising the smart card service.
    This campaign is not only disrespectful and overly sexualised, it also slut shames women with the 'cheap looking' poster.
    We are shocked that the Student Centre would feel the need to stoop so low to advertise to students, more than half of whom are women. We have already taken action and will continue to be a thorn in their side until this is rectified.

"incredibly outraged", Incredibly folks. Apparently this also "slut shames" women. :rolleyes: :D "More than half of whom are women", indeed, it's a bit more than half, but you don't hear the harpy harridans noting that disparity. Doesn't suit them. A "thorn in their side" eh? Sounds a bit phallic and penetrative too. I'm incredibly outraged at your cisgendernormativesexualised reference. OUTRAGED!!! I tells ya. :pac: Must be hard to go through life walking around like an open wound surrounded by perceived salt on all sides. Sheesh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

After Hours has gone weird recently, feels like there's a concious effort from a group of MRA's to try and stir up outrage against 'feminists'.

Some group of fringe student feminists says something, the anti-feminists run to their keyboards to try and whip up ill feeling and we end up with 20 page threads going around and around in circles. It just seems tedious.

...I'd like to see the reactions if there was a drawing of testicles with 'Nasty Looking' or something similar beside it though...

Do you want "Last Chicken In The Shop"? Do you?? Because that kind of talk is how you get "Last Chicken In The Shop"!!

Wibbs wrote: »

Oh you can say that, but I wouldn't dare!

I might be thinking it though, so there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

After Hours has gone weird recently, feels like there's a concious effort from a group of MRA's to try and stir up outrage against 'feminists'.

Oh please. Yes everything is the fault of MRA... Or you know, it could be like 50% of AH threads where a boardsie reads a story while doing other browsing (particularly on national paper sites) and links to it here because they think it's funny/interesting. But nah, conspiracy it is.

I got a hearty laugh from the link in the OP to the story in the Examiner. It's childish but c'mon, the Feminist society have a big fist as their logo?! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Scary to think these hysterical women will actually be released into the real world in a few years time

After Hours has gone weird recently, ...
    "recently"? Really??

...the Feminist society have a big fist as their logo?! :D

<SNORT>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Any time I see something in the news or on here to that has the word "feminists" in the title, I immediately roll my eyes as I know it's some ridiculous new thing they're outraged about. The evil men are at it again. :rolleyes:
    I've no problem with old school "equal rights" feminism. I'm all for equal rights. But these imbeciles that get offended about everything and bang on about being "mind raped" or whatever new bullshít they come up with.....
    Well they can go fcuk themselves tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

jimgoose wrote: »
    Do you want "Last Chicken In The Shop"? Do you?? Because that kind of talk is how you get "Last Chicken In The Shop"!!

is red dwarf back this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Some group of fringe student feminists says something, the anti-feminists run to their keyboards to try and whip up ill feeling and we end up with 20 page threads going around and around in circles. It just seems tedious.
    i had to look up MRA
    do you think MRA's are anti-feminisim? surley that would be mysogonists

El Guapo! wrote: »
    I've no problem with old school "equal rights" feminism. I'm all for....
    Stop mansplaining, and check your privilege. Yo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If this was a discussion on say, breast feeding; those same feminists would be shouting about how breasts are not sexual objects etc etc

But a picture of cleavage on a cup is 'overly sexual' to them? You've gotta laugh really

99% of the problem these days is that too many of the daft have too much of a voice because of the interwebs. A mindless minority of morons who shout/tweet/blog/Like the most. The vast majority of people, men/women/other don't give a tuppence hapenny about such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Eh, okay, from the opening post it looks very puerile and silly - but actually reading the link, nah, I think it's a bull**** bit of advertising with a rather unpleasant and -totally- unnecessary poster that frankly, doesn't even make a great deal of sense.

It's not so much the cups or the smartcard, it's the posters with "what's your cup size" showing the silhouette of a woman on pink with a low-cut top and the caption "CHEAP-LOOKING!". This relates to coffee..er...how?*

Speaking of outrage, perhaps people could a) read the source material and b) not be so quick to get outraged at the mention of feminists making a point. It's not the aggravation that they're showing that's puerile, it's the fecking advertisement.

https://www.facebook.com/UCCFemSoc/photos/a.544390752323596.1073741825.326727754089898/916142168481784/?type=3&theater

Seriously, can anyone who's mocking the feminists for being "outraged" explain to me why exactly this is a bit of advertising that would make them want to buy a coffee? Are you -really- so easily swayed by the silhouette of boobs that you'll buy anything that has them on it? I'm honestly curious to know.

*And to the people saying "lol, easily-offended feminists!", I'd just like to point out again that this is actually insulting. It's an advertising campaign for COFFEE based around a woman in a low-cut top - or with large breasts, either/or being cheap-looking. Given the rest of it is "what's your cup-size", it very much implies the latter and all I can say is "well, that's just bloody charming." I want a cup of damn coffee, not to be told that the size of my breasts mean I look cheap, thank you. Now gimme my coffee.