Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Package sent through Courier badly damaged

Options
  • 14-01-2016 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I sent a package via Nightline the other day, via next day delivery. I didn't insure it as I figured the odds of it getting lost were slim within Ireland, and the value of the item meant that insuring it to the value would have cost a silly amount (I sold a PC to someone in Dublin).

The item was sent in its original box, with foam inserts, extra bubble wrap, and a significant amount of fragile stickers. I never take chances with packaging, more is better.

It arrived and the PC itself was extremely badly internally damaged - hard drive cages twisted, graphics card broken out of the motherboard, etc. The exterior of the case is okay, which suggests that the box was literally just flung around.

Given how well it was packaged, it would have required serious abuse to get it into that state - and obviously the fragile stickers didn't even come into it.

I have used Nightline before and it was fine, so this is incredibly upsetting, as I'm now down an expensive PC .

It was also not delivered to the recipient, but a house across the road.

What should my next step be? I've made a 'claim' but it's all automated and it's just telling me the most I can claim is €50.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I think that is your lot I am afraid, parcels through couriers get thrown into vans, onto conveyor belts etc. but your damage does seem to be on the extreme end, but I think that is probably all you can claim for if it was not fully insured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

You can't have your cake and eat it.

You decided not to declare value and insure it and now the worst has happened, you don't have a soapbox to stand on.

It's unpleasant, but you took a chance and that's how these things sometime end up. Don't blame the courier. If you insured it for actual value, the depots and drivers would have seen it flagged for careful handling. Otherwise it could have been a box of dunlop pillows for all they'd care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Fair enough, I just thought I could expect a little more care when the box was covered in fragile stickers.

The funny thing is that they automatically guarantee 50 euro if the item is lost or damaged, so surely by just flinging everything around, they're liable to lose a lot of money? I paid 25, so if nothing else, if will actually cost them 25 euro for the whole affair.

I've sent a few PC's with Nightline this way before and all were fine, this is the first time I've had an issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 BattleReady

It's a pretty bad situation alright.

A little tip for anyone sending things in their 'Original Packaging'.

All those boxes are designed to be safely shipped on a pallet. That is, they are safe enough, once packed together in a block and shrink wrapped.

Most of the boxes only have styrofoam at the corners and no other protection otherwise. That makes the box weak, and liable to damage from any pressure from any other point than the corners.

This includes sending TV's also.

What to do? Open the box and pack it out with loads of balled up newspaper. Guaranteed to protect your TV or computer from external pressure. Also the guys at parcel direct are much better to deal with for this sort of thing

An oldy but a goody!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Good advice, but I actually did that! Both side were packed with bubble wrap to avoid exactly that scenario. The case itself is perfectly OK and the outside box is perfect also, so it was just being thrown around violently that did the damage, not any crush type of situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

You decided not to declare value and insure it and now the worst has happened, you don't have a soapbox to stand on.

It's unpleasant, but you took a chance and that's how these things sometime end up. Don't blame the courier. If you insured it for actual value, the depots and drivers would have seen it flagged for careful handling. Otherwise it could have been a box of dunlop pillows for all they'd care.

Bit harsh. Regardless of whether it was insured or not the sender should still expect some duty of care from the courier.

Lesson learned though I'd imagine.

Good advice, but I actually did that! Both side were packed with bubble wrap to avoid exactly that scenario. The case itself is perfectly OK and the outside box is perfect also, so it was just being thrown around violently that did the damage, not any crush type of situation.

Yeah just saw that in another post. I've been to a few of these depots and have been shocked at how they treat parcels.

I mean literally thrown 15feet into a pile of parcels. They don't give a s**t in some places.

Another bit of advice if you are shipping high value delicate items. Take a few photos on your phone of the item, how you pack it and then the packed box.

They can have no argument then when you show them the evidence

Collie D wrote: »
    Bit harsh. Regardless of whether it was insured or not the sender should still expect some duty of care from the courier.

Lesson learned though I'd imagine.

Yeah a bit harsh alright.

Anyway, under the Warsaw convention, you are entitled to compensation for an amount per kg, not sure what it is, but I always quote it when dealing with courier companies.

They should also refund the shipping charges

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yeah a bit harsh alright.

Anyway, under the Warsaw convention, you are entitled to compensation for an amount per kg, not sure what it is, but I always quote it when dealing with courier companies.

They should also refund the shipping charges

Warsaw convention covers the carriage of goods by air, not domestic road transport.

whiterebel wrote:
    Warsaw convention covers the carriage of goods by air, not domestic road transport.

Ah, didn't know that. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Bad luck :( you should never ever ship a pc with the graphics card slotted in though, not even taking it in your own car unless you are extremely careful.They break very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

regardless of whether you insured it or not, they still have a duty of care to treat your package correctly. If its in the state you say it is and wasnt delivered to the correct address, I'd be claiming the whole cost off them. threaten small claims court ..solicitors letters ...the whole lot.

they probably wont care...or try defend it.

If the pc was that expensive its probably worth your while spending a few quid to go legal with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

It's not harsh at all. No need to sugar coat the truth.

The OP took a chance and it didn't work out. He knows that.

Live and learn.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

daheff wrote: »
    regardless of whether you insured it or not, they still have a duty of care to treat your package correctly. If its in the state you say it is and wasnt delivered to the correct address, I'd be claiming the whole cost off them. threaten small claims court ..solicitors letters ...the whole lot.

they probably wont care...or try defend it.

If the pc was that expensive its probably worth your while spending a few quid to go legal with them.

They'll point to their standard trading conditions which limit liability to €50. Op has agreed to this by shipping it without taking the additional insurance. OP would have to prove negligence, or it maybe wilful neglect? Courier will say it was like that when they got it, in the absence of proof if its original condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

My Dad had a similar incident with nightline last year. Now he uses An Post if at all possible even though it is a bit pricier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

if they picked it up at your house they should have been aware immediatly it was fragile and handle with care .

delivering to a house across the road is not good enough either , even though it was probably done because there was nobody at your address.

other than get onto them strong , thats your next step

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

I used to work for a company and we used a certain courier company, we called them dint a link!
    Every time the item came back damaged , my Company was bought out.

And then we used numerous others, they all came back.
    You have to realise that you send it off, it ends up in a depot. And they do t care, it just gets thrown about because they have so much to do in a small amount of time. Thank God for this, why?
    Well I got a job back with a company because they know this. And to keep customers happy we have to supply them the goods as it is meant to be :)
    I'm sorry to hear about the hardship it's caused you.
    But it's a lesson learned, be it the hard way. Tell all you're mates, maybe then these companies will take note and stop ripping people off, way too much of this kinda thing happening lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rock22

Not true,
    Similar happened to my partner a number of years ago with same response from Courier. She went to Small Claims Court, won, and courier compensated her.
    You are due a duty of care from the courier. They were paid to safely deliver your goods, not to "throw them around in the van" .
    Go to SCC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

How does the OP know it was the courier? It was accepted by a third party and then the recipient got it and then the recipient obviously contacted the OP.

Plenty of unscrupulous "buyers" or "nasty neighbours" who would have no issue damaging a product.

Its just something else to consider before rushing to judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

rock22 wrote: »
    Go to SCC

I think this was a business transaction and not a consumer issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement