Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

83,84,85 Patrick Street Planning (Gloria Jeans)

Options
  • 14-01-2016 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Noticed planning application for redevelopment of three premises on Patrick Street (Gloria Jeans occupying the middle one).

"Development will consist of:
    Amalgamation of 83, 84 and 85 Patrick Street into one building with retail over two floors with storage and ancillary uses at second and third, to include demolition of all internal structures with façade retentions only. To include minor changes to ground floor elevations to incorporate new combines shopfront arrangement with central access from Patrick street, and minor changes to side elevation facing Careys lane, restoration of all retained façades and reconstruction of existing roof profiles and all associated site development works."

Anyone any idea of who's behind it or if there's any anchor tenant lined up? The planning seems to have been submitted by an agent.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

They are aiming for a fashion retailer apparently. No names yet. They will use the central (Gloria Jeans) building as the entry to the new store. The plans they have come up with are actually pretty tasteful and appropriate, all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

They are aiming for a fashion retailer apparently. No names yet. They will use the central (Gloria Jeans) building as the entry to the new store. The plans they have come up with are actually pretty tasteful and appropriate, all things considered.

I'd expect strong resistance to the application though - in respect of the amalgamation of separate historic structures - in conservation terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

A lot of building owners in Cork and elsewhere are moving towards this.
    Larger retailers want big, bright stores. If you own three small buildings you will do far better creating a single larger unit.

Penneys have bought out their entire block and will move out Tiger and Jack & Jones for a major extension.

Also Merchants Quay, they are redeveloping and moving the central mall alongside Mark's & Spencer which will allow them create much larger retail units facing the river.

The owners of The Savoy have bought Quills and they also own the Three store on the other side and that pop up Christmas Halloween store. I would expect a planning application there as well to merge some of those units, once again to create larger stores.

mire wrote: »
    I'd expect strong resistance to the application though - in respect of the amalgamation of separate historic structures - in conservation terms.

Perhaps you're right. The western most structure is hardly historic but I understand your point completely. I think, in this case, it's justified.
    Pitcairn wrote: »
    Penneys have bought out their entire block and will move out Tiger and Jack & Jones for a major extension.

I think this is going to be a BIG controversy coming down the line. Planning application due to go in any day now.
    Jack and Jones has an historic interior as well as exterior. Whats going to happen that?
    The amalgamation of numerous structures on Cook Street.
    Lack of active shopfronts on Cook Street (and to an extent, Patrick Street).

Will be an interesting one.. mark my words.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Perhaps you're right. The western most structure is hardly historic but I understand your point completely. I think, in this case, it's justified.

I think this is going to be a BIG controversy coming down the line. Planning application due to go in any day now.
    Jack and Jones has an historic interior as well as exterior. Whats going to happen that?
    The amalgamation of numerous structures on Cook Street.
    Lack of active shopfronts on Cook Street (and to an extent, Patrick Street).

Will be an interesting one.. mark my words.

Yes, it certainly will. I suspect the Planning Authority will be concerned about having extensive 'dead' frontages along Cook Street - (for example similar to Merchant's Quay) resulting from the Penney;s store being completely 'internalised' but I am sure that Penney's will be advised accordingly - I hope that they would be proposing active facades and an entrance or two on that Street. I suspect they will try to reconfigure the Pana entrance - into a much larger and more central, high profile space. I did not know that the Jack and Jones building had an historic interior - you are right - it will be interesting.

I wonder where Jack and Jones and Tiger will move to? Mothercare Building?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I was only wondering yesterday how Starbucks were affecting Gloria Jeans. Did they ever do much business in the Savoy location?

More to the point, where will Penney's move to during redevelopment? There is talk of another city centre location but I can't think of any that would be suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

More to the point, where will Penney's move to during redevelopment? There is talk of another city centre location but I can't think of any that would be suitable.

Will they need to move? I think when Penneys went through refurbishment 10years ago at this stage that there wasn't any time where it was closed, just sections boarded up.

I'm just going by media reports that they are looking for alternative accommodation. You may be right. Some sort of solution may be possible with them staying put. Messy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Yes, it certainly will. I suspect the Planning Authority will be concerned about having extensive 'dead' frontages along Cook Street - (for example similar to Merchant's Quay) resulting from the Penney;s store being completely 'internalised' but I am sure that Penney's will be advised accordingly - I hope that they would be proposing active facades and an entrance or two on that Street. I suspect they will try to reconfigure the Pana entrance - into a much larger and more central, high profile space. I did not know that the Jack and Jones building had an historic interior - you are right - it will be interesting.

I see Specsavers are moving to Opera Lane, they're fitting out a unit at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

Does anyone have an update of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fiload

Construction going on there right now, not sure when it will be finished though

fiload wrote: »
    Construction going on there right now, not sure when it will be finished though

Do you have any idea of possible tenants?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

DylanGLC wrote: »
    Do you have any idea of possible tenants?

Probably another "cut price" bottom end of the market shop like those going in to The Capitol.....

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fiload

Probably another "cut price" bottom end of the market shop like those going in to The Capitol.....

If you've nothing good or useful to say then don't say it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

fiload wrote: »
    If you've nothing good or useful to say then don't say it at all

welcome to the internet, a place where people may voice opinions different to your own, you'll find life to be like that also, get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Current state of play there.

2rmurlc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

I see the buildings further down are up for sale where sostrene green abra and others but tenants are staying some rents are around 130k a year!!

I really like the clean, coloured design they're going for!

Looks like Duke Coffee is going in there?
    https://twitter.com/corkcitycentre/status/839835743749038080

• Advertisement
Advertisement