Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2kW Convector Heater Cost

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Less than 2kWh, as the thermostat will cycle on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Thanks.

How does 2kWh translate into units?

1kWh = 1 unit. The kWh is the unit.

I did rough calculations before (verrrrry rough!) and i think it was something like 20c an hour or thereabouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

about 33 cent per hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭rob w

The ‘unit’ which you are charged for is a ‘kWh’ of electricity.

To use a ‘kWh’, you would have to run an 1kWh appliance for a period of 1 hour.

So, for a 2kW heater running continuously at maximum, it would use up 1 unit or ‘kWh’ every half hour.

But as the previous poster said, the thermostat will switch the heating element on and off while the heater is on, so it will not be constantly running at 2kW!

So it will use less than 2 units (< 2 x €0.1665) every hour it is in use!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Depending on the area being heated, the outside temperature and heat loss, it could very well run continiously. You should budget for 2 units per hour. Your hourly charges are probably more than stated when you take all the other charges into account.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Thanks for the replies.

Wearb wrote: »
    Depending on the area being heated, the outside temperature and heat loss, it could very well run continiously. You should budget for 2 units per hour. Your hourly charges are probably more than stated when you take all the other charges into account.

Indeed. When I stated less than 2kWh what I really ought to have said was up to 2kWh (but probably less).

Advertisement