Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frongoch Internees 1916 Galway Men...

Options
  • 14-01-2016 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello:

I am seeking any information on three Dunmore Co. Galway men who were eventually interned at Frongoch Internment camp after the 1916 Rising.
    They were Thomas Kilgarriff, Michael Ronayne (Ronan) and William E. McGill.

I have already gathered some information on them from statements in the Bureau of Military History.

Thanks,

-Patrick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

eiffel19 wrote: »
    Hello:

I am seeking any information on three Dunmore Co. Galway men who were eventually interned at Frongoch Internment camp after the 1916 Rising.
    They were Thomas Kilgarriff, Michael Ronayne (Ronan) and William E. McGill.

I have already gathered some information on them from statements in the Bureau of Military History.

Thanks,

-Patrick
    Can you post some of the information you already gathered? links- etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eiffel19

Let me add to my original post. I am interested in learning more about the lives of these men. As far as I know, they were the only men together from the same North Galway [Dunmore] region "out" in 1916. (They were captured during Easter Week 1916 and eventually sent to prison in England). I would like to know more about their lives during the Irish revolutionary years (1913-1924) and beyond.

Neither Kilgarriff, Ronan nor McGill made a statement to the Bureau of Military history. However, other people that made statements mentioned their names. (e.g. BMH.WS1219, BMH.WS1408, BMH.WS1489).

Looking in the library at microfilm of regional newspapers such as the Tuam Herald and Connacht Tribune, I came across an obituary for Thomas Kilgarriff on Oct 7, 1933. Couldn't find anything on Ronan (Ronayne) or McGill. I do know that Kilgarriff is buried in Dunmore Cemetery (Galway).

The 1901/11 Census of Ireland have limited info on these men.

I am hoping that these "boards" may have readers that are related to any of these men or know where I can get more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fifi_gaillimh

Hi, Tom Kilgarriff was my great-grandfather. He fought in the War of Independence when he was released from Frongoch. His house, a Public House, called The White House in Garrafrauns, Dunmore served as a safe house during this time. He took the Anti-Treaty side during the Civil War and a man who fought alongside him during the War of Independence, but subsequently joined the Pro-Treaty side, revealed the safe area (in the chimney breast) which resulted in Tom being arrested by the State. He owned a building contracting company and contracted blood poisoning from a cut in his hand contracted when was inspecting the pebble-dash of a church; he died of blood poisoning in 1933 leaving behind his his two young sons, Kevin (from his first marriage - his wife died of cancer when Kevin was 2 years old) and Frank (of his second marriage). We have a series of letters from him to and from Mick Collins and other individuals with whom he was interred at Frongoch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Have pm'd you. Also great granddaughter of Tom Kilgarriff. Visited his grave today for the day that's in it.

Keano89 can you PM me please. You have been in touch with my sister via PM and I can't locate you here on boards....I am the person who has access to all the letters etc. There are even really old tapes with hours of recordings of the family history. I have to get them digitised.

• Advertisement

Gravestone in Dunmore cemetery,

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eiffel19

Thanks for the reply. Since my original post. I have gain a lot of info on Thomas Kilgarriff. I have pm'd your sister with a reply to her query about my research intentions.

Advertisement