Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Iron Banner Megathread - Guide in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

On a lighter note. Congratulations to Stephen on his 320 Iron Shell drop. I'm certain those 2 kills were game changers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

PetKing wrote: »
    I was stepping away and playing solo because I turned embarrassingly ****e.

There's 2 things I learned (or bettered) from this Iron Banner which I see as positive.

I got better at my whole "Fight or Flight" response, running away when I'm down to 1/3rd health so not feeding the other team kills. Or just completely avoiding engagements if i'm on my own on a map and there's only 3 kills in it to win. Basically playing a lot more cautiously so as not to be handing away points.

And "Managing Tilt". If I had a game or two that went badly or caused me frustration (losing when you are 9,700 to 9,000 is sickening), I'd just leave for a while. What I've also done in the past (for example when I was pushing for Salvage Grimore wins) was to leave the game mode and go try something like Control and use a different load out or subclass etc.

I didn't really have a single evening where people were laughing and joking playing IB they way we would in Rift or Control, I think everyone was a lot more conscious of how SBMM was affecting things, all sweaty all the time.

I had a game where I was agains 5 of the lads, I thought it would generate some banter afterwards, I've never come into a quieter chat in my life.
    In hindsight, I can see how it would have appeared from the other side.

I can only think of 2 games where we Properly wrecked the other team (as in winning by 3k or 4k points), out of like 70 games and TBH, one of those games I was just unplayable.

On a lighter note. Congratulations to Stephen on his 320 Iron Shell drop. I'm certain those 2 kills were game changers.

He's gotten 2 320 ghosts to drops now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Cormac... wrote: »
    There's 2 things I learned (or bettered) from this Iron Banner which I see as positive.

I got better at my whole "Fight or Flight" response, running away when I'm down to 1/3rd health so not feeding the other team kills. Or just completely avoiding engagements if i'm on my own on a map and there's only 3 kills in it to win. Basically playing a lot more cautiously so as not to be handing away points.

And "Managing Tilt". If I had a game or two that went badly or caused me frustration (losing when you are 9,700 to 9,000 is sickening), I'd just leave for a while. What I've also done in the past (for example when I was pushing for Salvage Grimore wins) was to leave the game mode and go try something like Control and use a different load out or subclass etc.

I didn't really have a single evening where people were laughing and joking playing IB they way we would in Rift or Control, I think everyone was a lot more conscious of how SBMM was affecting things, all sweaty all the time.

I had a game where I was agains 5 of the lads, I thought it would generate some banter afterwards, I've never come into a quieter chat in my life.

I can only think of 2 games where we Properly wrecked the other team (as in winning by 3k or 4k points), out of like 70 games and TBH, one of those games I was just unplayable.

We've managed one Mercy so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

How much of this is down to the MM and how much the game mode? Clash, with no clear objective points, requires that bit more concentration. It's not a bad thing in and of itself, but it does reduce the banter to the between match time.
    I had a game where I was agains 5 of the lads, I thought it would generate some banter afterwards, I've never come into a quieter chat in my life. In hindsight, I can see how it would have appeared from the other side.

Saturday Night, Rusted Lands. We had the lead, we lost it, we had it. Twas a close game up to the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

He's gotten 2 320 ghosts to drops now :D

In that case I would ask the Ceann Comhairle that my previous comment be struck from the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Also lads,
    If you're having trouble in Iron Banner - don't forget to use your vertical space!

#ProTips

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Pretty awful IB all round, got to rank 5 and got a cloak lol. One good moment:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

If nothing else, at least you were able benefit from me demonstrating the proper way to maximise your armor loadout for the Warlock. Valuable insight that will stand to you going forward.

Always happy to bring light into darkness.

:pac:

AdamD wrote: »
    Pretty awful IB all round, got to rank 5 and got a cloak lol. One good moment:

"Good" moment, **** sake man, leave some kills for the rest of us :p

• Advertisement

Some guy played 280 matches of IB clash and recorded his findings

BKxc8dD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Fair play to him. Nice to see a fairly even spread on the map rotation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The map name escapes me but its the one with the railway bridge along the middle. Some lad was sniping into the spawn and they were up by 1300 points, told my young lad to pop hammers, he flung 1 all the way across the map from the spawn and got a 3 in 1 out of it and to make matter worse he complete turned the game around from there on out to win the match by 30 odd points.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    The map name escapes me but its the one with the railway bridge along the middle.

Frontier, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

jonny24ie wrote:
    The map name escapes me but its the one with the railway bridge along the middle. Some lad was sniping into the spawn and they were up by 1300 points, told my young lad to pop hammers, he flung 1 all the way across the map from the spawn and got a 3 in 1 out of it and to make matter worse he complete turned the game around from there on out to win the match by 30 odd points.

Cormac... wrote:
    Frontier, probably.

The types of game I played on Frontier in IB Clash varied wildly. Spawn in at start you'll always manage a quick snipe against opponents who run for bridge centre. Other games they rush you and flank from back via sides. I like that map.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Frontier, probably.

Yeah thats the one, a blind hammer from the opposite side of the map it was awesome. BTW Cormac your on Xbox with destiny aswell arent ya? Im gonna set my lad up a profile on here later and get him to join the clan. Some of his PVP skills would put most to shame on here, i know he puts me to shame all the time now haha

jonny24ie wrote: »
    BTW Cormac your on Xbox with destiny aswell arent ya?

Nope, I only played the Beta on X-Box 360.

Ah I thought you were dual format with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Did you not buy an xbone and destiny there a few months back?

Did you not buy an xbone and destiny there a few months back?

I got an X-Box One alright and was gonna get Vanilla Destiny but just never got around to it in the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

When is the next IB scheduled for?

When is the next IB scheduled for?

No confirmation yet. Wouldn't be suprised if we hear something over the next few days.

Maybe it'll be in tonight "This week at Bungie"

If not, one of the Devs might tweet about it not being on

• Registered Users Posts: 45,675 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It will probably be next week because next week doesn't really suit me at all.

And also cause I think this week (didnt happen) and next week would be on schedule - if it is pushed out past next week it is a long enough gap (though not unheard of).

Just for the record, we're hopefully due a run of standard control this time:

23rd February (currently "5 weeks ago" if it starts on Tuesday coming) - Clash
    26th January (4 Weeks) - Rift
    28th December (4 Weeks) - Control
    17th November (6 Weeks) - Clash
    13th October (5 Weeks)
    25th August (7 Weeks)
    28th July (4 Weeks)
    30th June (4 Weeks)
    2nd June (4 Weeks)
    28th April (5 Weeks)
    17th March (6 Weeks)
    17th February (4 Weeks)
    13th January (5 Weeks)
    16th December (4 weeks)
    18th November (4 weeks)
    7th October (6 weeks)

According to the weekly update, Iron Banner will return on Tuesday

Pistol, MG, Chest piece and Gauntlets by the looks of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

Looking forward to this later. I'm curious to see how well I do seeing as I've jumped up quiet a few light levels since this was last on.

Knowing my luck I'll get obliterated, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,675 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No interest in any of the drops this time around - to be honest only the scout rifle interests me in general - a nice roll on that is what I want.

Will still look to play it as much as I can cause I love me some 6vs6 control, and easier to get a group of 6 together during IB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

No interest in any of the drops this time around - to be honest only the scout rifle interests me in general - a nice roll on that is what I want.

Will still look to play it as much as I can cause I love me some 6vs6 control, and easier to get a group of 6 together during IB!

But It'll be the 3oC drops that will make it worth while. I cleaned up the last time dropping them. Have about 30 of them so should get something good even if it's just for the infusing.

• Advertisement

Just don't use the Raid weapons and you'll be fine :P

Advertisement