Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Iron Banner Megathread - Guide in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I dont really play that much pvp, Ive heard that lowering my sensitivity might be handier for getting to grips with the sniper rifles, and I've disabled the controller vibration to stop it throwing off my aim.

anything else worth trying?

(i've my controller connected by usb, and my nat is fully open, so input lag shouldnt really be a factor.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I dont really play that much pvp, Ive heard that lowering my sensitivity might be handier for getting to grips with the sniper rifles, and I've disabled the controller vibration to stop it throwing off my aim.

anything else worth trying?

(i've my controller connected by usb, and my nat is fully open, so input lag shouldnt really be a factor.)

Might be a bit unnecessary depending on your situation, but I have my in-game Music completely muted so I have a bit more awareness, also given I pretty much always play in large groups on Chat, it just helps keep me sane by not bombarding my ear canals with Game SFX, Game Music and People Chatting/Shouting etc. :)

If you have a decent headset, it can really help, I'm able to use the virtual surround sound on my PS4 headset to pretty accurately assess where any given super is being popped on the map (approximately).

It's not unusual for our party chat on Ps4 to go a bit like this:
    *KKKKHHH-CCCCHUUUUNNNNK*
    Me: "Whose Hammers are they?"
    Conovar: "Did one of you pop hammers?"
    JCD: "Are they our Hammers?"
    Me: "Lads what is going on with those hammers? Lads? Hello?"
    Chimp: "Oh those are my hammers guys"
    Everyone: "Well say it next time!"

:pac:

But as I say, some people see stuff like muting volumes or disabling vibration as unnecessay and removing too much of the immersion.

cool, I don't have a headset but I have a set of earbuds that came with my phone that i can plug into my controller. I think they might only be stereo though.

it might be cheating slightly, but I've heard that if you have a laptop on your broadband connection thats watching netflix or something, you can get a bit of an advantage? not sure if its true or not or even how it'd work, but might be worth a shot if things are going badly.

cool, I don't have a headset but I have a set of earbuds that came with my phone that i can plug into my controller. I think they might only be stereo though.

I'd invest in a proper headset (not talking €300, even just a €40 one) if you have the option to get one, it would be a good solution for helping you be a bit more aware of whats happening around you though
    it might be cheating slightly, but I've heard that if you have a laptop on your broadband connection thats watching netflix or something, you can get a bit of an advantage? not sure if its true or not or even how it'd work, but might be worth a shot if things are going badly.

Honestly mate, I wouldn't bother with that kind of garbage, just play the game and give it your best shot, worst case scenario: you'll get better as the week goes on.

Regardless, doesn't really work, my missus is often using Netflix and it makes no odds

yeah you're probably right, looking forward to getting off work in a few hours, pop to the shop for a few cans of red bull, some snacks and perhaps a shoulder of brandy.

have a good one!

• Advertisement

yeah you're probably right, looking forward to getting off work in a few hours, pop to the shop for a few cans of red bull, some snacks and perhaps a shoulder of brandy.

have a good one!

I wouldn't necessary bother practising in Clash this weekend cause IB isn't until Tuesday.

If you're still just finding your feet in PvP, stick with Control (it'll be much better for your Sniper Rifle play if you're hearts set on that *cough* sidearms *cough*) cause there will actually be a vast gulf in difference in how Clash will play out when Iron Banner isn't on (headless chicken team death match) versus when it is on (like my top post on this page).

Control is a great way to get used to playing PvP overall since you always have an idea of where the enemy is and can plan your encounter around that a bit better.

Just on a side note, I had a look at your PvP stats and would defo recommend staying in Control even just for one evening to adapt to the changes in the game now overall.

I can see you usually used to use either a Handcannon or Auto Rifle coupled with a Shotgun.
    Since you haven't played PvP in 3 months you may need time to move adapt that play style.

If you have a nice scout rifle, consider taking that out for a spin. Same with high stability Pulses.

Also, don't bother practising with any Year 1 weapons this weekend, since you probably won't be using them next weekend

Since you appear to have unlocked Bad Juju and Mida, try using the Year 2 versions of those, Mida with a Hunter is GREAT

Enjoy! :)

Cormac... wrote: »
    I wouldn't necessary bother practising in Clash this weekend cause IB isn't until Tuesday.

If you're still just finding your feet in PvP, stick with Control (it'll be much better for your Sniper Rifle play if you're hearts set on that *cough* sidearms *cough*) cause there will actually be a vast gulf in difference in how Clash will play out when Iron Banner isn't on (headless chicken team death match) versus when it is on (like my top post on this page).

Control is a great way to get used to playing PvP overall since you always have an idea of where the enemy is and can plan your encounter around that a bit better.

Ah yeah, i'll still be making the most of it this weekend as the mrs is away and I'll have the telly to myself so I'll get a bit of practice in.

I've been watching a few youtube videos and the skill level from a lot of them seems to be through the roof, one lad, triplewreck is a complete beast! mtashed seems very good also.

Ah yeah, i'll still be making the most of it this weekend as the mrs is away and I'll have the telly to myself so I'll get a bit of practice in.

I've been watching a few youtube videos and the skill level from a lot of them seems to be through the roof, one lad, triplewreck is a complete beast! mtashed seems very good also.

If you're actually interested in bettering yourself in an Achievable way in 6v6, Mtashed is the way to go for players who aren't "MLG" or whatever

Even just the other day I reminded Conovar of the whole "use your vertical space" thing half-jokingly :pac:

The simplicity of the ways he presents feasible improvements are something lots of players can benefit from.

I'd probably played 3000 matches before I considered jumping around corners :o

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVHacqixRV3Eo83gPpSesKjfkzlFRLwK1

whats this 7th column thing? there seems to be loads of vids of fellas getting it or just missing it?

• Advertisement

whats this 7th column thing? there seems to be loads of vids of fellas getting it or just missing it?

Getting 7 kills in VERY quick succession, which in 6v6 as you may imagine is very tricky, that being said, I wouldn't feel right to not just dump my vid of me doing one here :D

:eek:woah that warlock super is mad OP! , you were lucky to get them to spawn right in front of you like that, and mayhem clash was a nice boost to have your super up so quick. I don't think it'd happen so handy in a regular gamemode. If you can post a clip of that I'll be really Impressed!

:eek:woah that warlock super is mad OP! , you were lucky to get them to spawn right in front of you like that, and mayhem clash was a nice boost to have your super up so quick. I don't think it'd happen so handy in a regular gamemode. If you can post a clip of that I'll be really Impressed!

Yeah, I was doing some sneaky tactics (Tier 5 Intellect, Electrostatic Mind, Transcendence, Amplitude and just rushing B or their Spawn) to finish off the Jolly Holiday quest and just got lucky there. I'd say the one of the only ways to get it otherwise would probably involve a Sunsinger Self-Ressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

It's not unusual for our party chat on Ps4 to go a bit like this:
    *KKKKHHH-CCCCHUUUUNNNNK*
    I just assumed that sound effect was someone cracking open a beer, which happens about as often as popping hammers... #NewDrinkingGameIdea

Chimp: "Oh those are my hammers guys"
    Everyone: "Well say it next time!"

When Chimp gets into the kill-zone, nothing else matters!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I just assumed that sound effect was someone cracking open a beer, which happens about as often as popping hammers... #NewDrinkingGameIdea

When Chimp gets into the kill-zone, nothing else matters!

Everytime someone pops hammers then its law to open a beer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Finding it difficult to get keyed up for IB this time round. I've become less Destiny addicted. Really hooked on Borderlands 2 and The Walking Dead games I've found to be brilliant. Actually considering getting After Dark as a result. If Plant v Zombies 2 is delivered this week I may not have time for IB. Who knew there was life after Destiny? Have to admit this game has saved me a fortune over the past year and a 1/2.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Finding it difficult to get keyed up for IB this time round. I've become less Destiny addicted. Really hooked on Borderlands 2 and The Walking Dead games I've found to be brilliant. Actually considering getting After Dark as a result. If Plant v Zombies 2 is delivered this week I may not have time for IB. Who knew there was life after Destiny? Have to admit this game has saved me a fortune over the past year and a 1/2.

Wash your mouth out you soap you cheating hussy :P
    Borderlands in gone cheap everywhere but nobody has stock of it so Bought Drage Age goty edition for 20 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

ah I've plenty of bounties (& medalions) from last IB so I'll probably jump on. I've had the RL though for some time and it's dire

Considering how easy it was to get all my characters to level 5 the last 2 times IB came round, I think I'll play.
    Although that being said, I thought the gear was great, the light levels they dropped at was terrible for the last 2 IBs.

I havent been near destiny since early last week so Im hopping on this evening to play a good bit :D

• Advertisement

I've some bounties from last season knocking around too.
    At least with Clash, I don't mind playing one match solo per day (with my 2nd and 3rd characters) just to complete the daily bounties later in the week.
    Will just do the same ole level-leapfrogging thing as last time

• Registered Users Posts: 45,952 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm looking forward to it simply because thre is a good chance of some PvP groups happening - been very limited casual PvP play over the last few months. Trials gets some good play from what I see in the messages on PSN - but i don't have the skills to pay the bills there so I don't play it. I still play control a lot, but will be nice to be in groups and having a laugh while doing it.

Clash though..... and that 2500 bounty. I think I got it twice last time around, and it was a sweaty struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Clash though..... and that 2500 bounty. I think I got it twice last time around, and it was a sweaty struggle.

Clash has become my fav PvP playlist. Think I burned myself out on control.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,115 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Everytime someone pops hammers then its law to open a beer :D

You would have been scuttered after 1 game for the first month of TTK :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,952 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PetKing wrote: »
    Clash has become my fav PvP playlist. Think I burned myself out on control.

I like the control element of control - more tactical and plannable. Clash can confuse me too easily, people coming at me from all angles!

I like the control element of control - more tactical and plannable. Clash can confuse me too easily, people coming at me from all angles!

I like the fact, in control, there's an objective. People work towards that objective.

In Clash, its a free for all and the teams become less organised, there's no real need to team up and charge on, say, B point to capture it (With the exception of charging heavy ammo). The only real objective becomes to steam roll the other team and spawn kill as many as possible before the spawns flip.
    And I don't like that aspect of it.

Clash was nice for a change of pace before.
    But I don't want it there as a regular thing every 3 seasons now.
    I would say it's my least favourite of the 3 IB modes thus far.
    I would not be averse to a rotating playlist, but wouldn't like them to be equally weighed
    Something like 50% Control, 30% Rift and 20% Clash would be just swell if you ask me
    I feel like atm they are trying to gauge demand for a given game mode and the success of the SBMM / CBMM changeovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,115 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Clash was nice for a change of pace before.
    But I don't want it there as a regular thing every 3 seasons now.
    I would say it's my least favourite of the 3 IB modes thus far.
    I would not be averse to a rotating playlist, but wouldn't like them to be equally weighed
    Something like 50% Control, 30% Rift and 20% Clash would be just swell if you ask me
    I feel like atm they are trying to gauge demand for a given game mode and the success of the SBMM / CBMM changeovers.

Clash is better than the other two if your solo. But I prefer Control.

Two things about IB though, they need to use more maps and the 2500 Clash bounty needs to come down to around 2000. 2500 is to hard to get if more than one person on your team is clearing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

emmetkenny wrote: »

Two things about IB though, they need to use more maps and the 2500 Clash bounty needs to come down to around 2000. 2500 is to hard to get if more than one person on your team is clearing up.

they could probably do with tweaking all the bounties when they change it to rift/clash, they are really based around control.

I'd agree that solo players have more of a chance in clash, but looking forward to the craic in a team of 6 aswell.

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »

I would not be overly shocked if some sort of Hybrid Clash Iron Banner Freelance mode became a thing.

Like when IB is on, you can either go in Solo for a Freelance game or if you have a Fireteam, it's just like normal

The funny thing is, Iron Banner is really moving away from what it was meant to be back in the day (not that that's a bad thing). It was meant to be "Team Tactics" yadda yadda yadda, now it's more "Come one, come all, guaranteed rewards" (which is a good way of pleasing players, and kind of seems like what they want since december)

A mixed Playlist (Control, Clash, Rift) for IB for Teams coupled with a Freelance Clash version for Solo players would satisfy most people.

Can't see it dragging any players back for good though.

Agreed on the maps thing. Sick to my back teeth of Cathedral of Dusk now to be honest

Advertisement