Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Iron Banner Megathread - Guide in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Cormac... wrote: »
    I would not be overly shocked if some sort of Hybrid Clash Iron Banner Freelance mode became a thing.

Like when IB is on, you can either go in Solo for a Freelance game or if you have a Fireteam, it's just like normal

The funny thing is, Iron Banner is really moving away from what it was meant to be back in the day (not that that's a bad thing). It was meant to be "Team Tactics" yadda yadda yadda, now it's more "Come one, come all, guaranteed rewards" (which is a good way of pleasing players, and kind of seems like what they want since december)

A mixed Playlist (Control, Clash, Rift) for IB for Teams coupled with a Freelance Clash version for Solo players would satisfy most people.

Can't see it dragging any players back for good though.

Agreed on the maps thing. Sick to my back teeth of Cathedral of Dusk now to be honest

Connection, Dog Poo

In the beginning it was way to hard to rank one Character to Rank 5 let alone 3 characters. The ranking now is fair enough.

The new games modes were obviously brought in to freshen IB up and I think it's managed that.

Bounties, they could do with few more varied bounties.

Rewards, I like the idea of the Rank 3 and Rank 5 package and the drop rate seems OK at the minute.

Weapons, a little better than Thorn IB in year one.

Maps, bring back year one one maps God dam it.

That's just my thoughts.

Cathedral of Dusk is an OK map but the spawns are waaaaaaaaaay to far away from the action.

Just on your freelance idea, it could work but I think it might also split the player base to much, and then if you group up you could end up playing teams from the other side of the world with there 3meg DL and .5 UL :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I miss Blind Watch and Firebase Delphi and Asylum and Burning Shrine in 6v6

Which one is blind watch again?

Rusted lands is my favourite map so at least I still get to play it once every 15 games.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Which one is blind watch again?

Rusted lands is my favourite map so at least I still get to play it once every 15 games.

Where B is an impenetrable fortress inside a building on Mars

Where B is an impenetrable fortress inside a building on Mars

That's still in the rotation isn't it?

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    That's still in the rotation isn't it?

Yes, but like a lot of Maps it's "Weighted" to appear substantially less than say Frontier etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The map rotation is pretty inexplicable at this point, they are actively denying players the opportunity to use content they payed for. Not to mention, most of Bungie's best design work went into the yr1 content. Any excuse about promoting new content has long worn thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,675 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The map rotation is pretty inexplicable at this point, they are actively denying players the opportunity to use content they payed for. Not to mention, most of Bungie's best design work went into the yr1 content. Any excuse about promoting new content has long worn thin.

but now we get to play Skyhook, Bastion and First Light. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKK OFF with horrid maps bungle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Shores of Time.

"Whose capping "A"? What are you doing down there? Ah it's bluey."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Is it 6pm kick off today yeah?

• Advertisement

PetKing wrote: »
    Is it 6pm kick off today yeah?

I would say so yes

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Mcsirl

Anyone on xbox running this tonight that wants to team up ?

Mcsirl wrote: »

Should be a few from around 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

IB back tonight??? Brillo! I haven't really played it since the last one!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I would not be overly shocked if some sort of Hybrid Clash Iron Banner Freelance mode became a thing.

Like when IB is on, you can either go in Solo for a Freelance game or if you have a Fireteam, it's just like normal

The funny thing is, Iron Banner is really moving away from what it was meant to be back in the day (not that that's a bad thing). It was meant to be "Team Tactics" yadda yadda yadda, now it's more "Come one, come all, guaranteed rewards" (which is a good way of pleasing players, and kind of seems like what they want since december)

A mixed Playlist (Control, Clash, Rift) for IB for Teams coupled with a Freelance Clash version for Solo players would satisfy most people.

Can't see it dragging any players back for good though.

Agreed on the maps thing. Sick to my back teeth of Cathedral of Dusk now to be honest

They could make a hybrid of Salvage and Zone Control, where a capture point would be active somewhere on the map for a set period of time. The only way to score points is to hold the zone. Run in, capture it, other team tries to oust you and capture it for themselves. Back and forth across the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Lads, anyone doing this on ps4 later?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Mcsirl wrote: »

Yup, hope to get a few runs to the warpriest aswell.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Lads, anyone doing this on ps4 later?

Yes, you will probably notice a great many messages in the PS4 Clan Chat.

What's your PSN?

They could make a hybrid of Salvage and Zone Control, where a capture point would be active somewhere on the map for a set period of time. The only way to score points is to hold the zone. Run in, capture it, other team tries to oust you and capture it for themselves. Back and forth across the map.

Well yes, but as regards the existing 3 modes, I actually enjoy how the dynamics of how differently you will play on any given map in a certain game mode.

Clash in Shores of Time will play out Vastly differently to Rift in Frontier.

I actually went and did some Salvage last night (for a bounty), it's a really good mode once you get used to it albeit slightly imbalanced in the number of points rewarded for attacking/defending.

Granted it took me until about 80 wins in Salvage to really warm to it (I'm a slow learner, this has been widely established), but there's a great feeling when you do get good and have a solid team that also knows what they are doing. It's a mode that really punishes attempts at lone-wolfing and going 3v1

One thing I found myself do more and more in 3v3 and 6v6 is to actually delay my own respawn or when I do spawn in, to just wait for back up to do another push.

To wax lyrical here, let's say you die..... your scoreboard shows you as a dead skull and a team mate as a skull/dead (let's call them Conovar). By the time you spawn in you see Another skull on your main screen (indicating a team mate who has just died in the indicated location), that means you now have you and Conovar spawned back in at base camp, and a 3rd about to join you. Waiting 4 or 5 seconds and moving to have you 3 group up for a solid push is much better.

This type of stuff is really hard to explain, but it's generally why I usually come 1st or 2nd in 6v6 most of the time even though my KDR these days would only be about 1.25 (approx). I rack up points getting assists and capture objectives and am generally more protected moving in a group of 3 (as listed in example above).

The last thing you want in a match is to be throwing waves of lone-gunners into a kill zone that the enemy is occupying. And this rings true massively for Salvage.

I've often had to defend a relic (with 1 other) for the remaining 20 seconds, and had all 3 opponents arrive spaced out by about 6 seconds. If only the 1st waited 8 seconds, they would be a group of 3 and would win out, all they would need to do is spam all 3 grenades and they will kill 1.5 of us usually.

I see it kind of like waves crashing againts a rock face.

Where my gun is the rock face and their bodies are the waves :pac:

In Summary, 6v6 with a group (of not total pests) can actually be far more tactical than the likes of Reddits Loudest and Saltiest give it credit for.

Granted it's not absolutely perfect. But I get the feeling people expect to be able to play the mode solo with the same level of advantage as the people like us who play in groups of 6

I have played about 2,500 games of Control, so they must be doing something right :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

6v6 may still be tactical but there are far too many variables with supers and grenades etc. for it to ever work as well as 3v3. The maps/connection issues hinder it too, the game just feels infinitely better at 3v3. Salvage is a poor mode though tbh, the points system is woeful and if the 2 teams are anywhere close to being evenly matched its not worth going for the relic, which is a massive flaw. Hardpoint in Cod is a similar idea but vastly superior.

Also worth bearing in mind in all game modes that you can be top of your team and still be causing them to lose. Even if you get 4000 points, if you gave the opposition 5000 through deaths you've hurt your team. That's why you never lone wolf B, die, then shout at your team. You're gifting points. Make sure your team are with you or do something else that will net gain your team points.

AdamD wrote: »
    the points system is woeful and if the 2 teams are anywhere close to being evenly matched its not worth going for the relic, which is a massive flaw. Hardpoint in Cod is a similar idea but vastly superior

I agree that the points balance is a bit off. It's not worth going for the capture of the relic a lot of the time

#**FAQ:**
    • - Recommended minimum Light for Iron Banner: 230 (according to Bungie, 260 would be more accurate imho)
    • - Only Level 40 Guardians can lead a Fireteam
    • - Gear purchased from Lord Saladin now requires Legendary Marks instead of Glimmer
    • - **You begin at Rank 0, not Rank 1**
    • - You can complete standard Crucible bounties (Get 2 Heavy Kills, Complete 3 Games of PvP in a Fireteam) while doing Iron Banner
    • - **You can use Emblems, Shaders and Class Items from previous Iron Banner seasons (including Year 1) and feel their benefits immediately**
    • - Both Shader types (Rank 2 and 5) and Emblem types (Rank 1 and 3) will give you you the same REP bonuses.
    • - Wearing Iron Banner Armour does not give any additional REP boosts.
    • - If you have no Iron Banner Emblem, Shader or Class Item, please add 20% to the amount of time/games required to level up.
    • - You get Reward Packages for hitting Rank 3 and Rank 5 on each of your characters

#**TL:DR (or What Does GDH do? How does he rank up so fast? What's his secret?)**

Here's kind of how my Iron Banner week plays out since 2.0.
    I hit Rank 5 on all 3 Characters (and have done since launch) in about 8-10 hours over the week.
    I'd normally would stay in a Fireteam of 6 to avoid crippling late-game match-making.
    Overall it takes around 50 matches (over the course of 7 days) and that's NOT counting using the Weekly Bounties (using them reduces it to between 30 or 40 matches)
    Last seasons we had players hit Rank 5 on 3 characters in less than 30 games.

I did a Table on my week went exactly last season and I hit Rank 5 on 3 Characters in 48 Games Total

p5KO4Zm.jpg?1

Character|Tue/Wed/Thur|Friday|Sat/Sun|Mon|
    Main Character|Play for 1 Hour turn in all 3 Bounties|Play for 1 Hour turn in all 3 Bounties|Play for 1 Hour turn in all 3 Bounties and Some Weekly Bounties|Farm Drops|
    Alt Character 1|Grab IB Bounties|Play for 1.5 Hours turn in all 6-9 Bounties|Play for 1 Hour turn in all 3 Bounties and some Weekly Bounties|-|
    Alt Character 2|Grab IB Bounties|Play for 1.5 Hours turn in all 6-9 Bounties|Play for 1 Hour turn in all 3 Bounties and Some Weekly Bounties|-|

#**FOR SALE AND IN THE LOOT/DROP TABLE:**

**For Sale:**
    • - Gauntlets x2 - Rank 3 - Light Level 280 - 40 Legendary Marks *(There's 2 types available on Playstation, one of which is exclusive)*
    • - Helms x2 - Rank 4 - Light Level 280 - 40 Legendary Marks *(There's 2 types available on Playstation, one of which is exclusive)*
    • - Sniper Rifle - Rank 4 - Light Level 280 - 90 Legendary Marks
    • - Rocket Launcher - Rank 5 - Light Level 280 - 90 Legendary Marks

**Available Post-Game Drops:**
    • - Gauntlets x2 - From Rank 2
    • - Helms x2, Sniper Rifle - From Rank 3
    • - Rocket Launcher - From Rank 4

IB_Sony_Exclusive_Gear.jpg?cv=3983621215&av=1852055410

**Important Notes:**
    • - Items that drop as post-game rewards can be **higher than 280 Light**
    • - The Items available in your "Drop Table" are based on the rank of your highest Ranked character - Warlock at Rank 4 means Rank 4 drops possible for all 3 Characters
    • - Any Iron Banner Gun or Armour piece can be rewarded (with a random roll) to you for achieving Rank 5 (doesn't mean you'll get the one you want though)

#**HANDY LINKS:**

- New Damage Curve

level_delta.jpg

- Easier to View Version - Red Line Currently Represents Damage Difference

delta_zoom.jpg

- Thinking of having a few beers? Don't forget the GDH formula!

DcYP8we.jpg?1

#**FOREWORD AND REP BUFFS EXPLAINED - MUST READ!!!**

**WINS AND MEDALLIONS:**
    • - Wins are worth 60 REP with no shader, emblem or class item equipped
    • - Wins are worth 80 REP with shader, emblem and class item equipped
    • - You get a Medallion when you lose, you can get a maximum of 5.
    • - Medallions are worth 50 REP, you cash them in automatically when your team wins

**GENERAL "ITEM" BUFFS:**
    • - Each Iron Banner Emblem, Shader and Class Item account for a 10% REP Increase.
    • - The Emblem becomes available at Rank 1, The Shader at Rank 2 and the Class item at Rank 3.
    • - Buy them and equip them as soon as they become available.
    • - All of the below tables are built on the assumption you have the Iron Banner Shader, Emblem & Bond/Cloak/Towel.
    • - Emblem + Shader + Class Item = 33% Buff NOT 30% Buff (this is because the multipliers are sequential, so (REP x1.1 x1.1 x1.1).
    • - So by Rank 2, you should already have 21% Buff from the Emblem and Shader.

**TEMPERED BUFF:**
    • - The Daily Tempered Buff is applied after the sequential x1.1 buffs (Emblems, Shader, Class Items)
    • - **There is No Tempered Buff on Tuesday**
    • - The Tempered Buff is now automatically applied and continues to grow in effectiveness each day of the event (unlike previous Iron Banner seasons where you had to buy it)

**ALTERNATIVE CHARACTER BUFF:**
    • - The Alt Character Buff is applied after the Daily Tempered Buff
    • - This is used to help your 2nd and 3rd characters 'catch up' with the character you ranked up in IB 1st.
    • - The Catch Up buff works passively and automatically
    • - It accounts for a **100% Increase** in Bonus to REP earned
    • - For it to work, your 1st character must be AT LEAST Rank 2 and your 2nd (and/or 3rd) Character must be AT LEAST Rank 1
    • - So it goes: (Base Rep Amount) x (Shader?) x (Emblem?) X (Class Item?) x (Daily Tempered Buff) x (Alt Character Buff?)
    • - Most of the tables in the bottom half of this post are based on levelling your 1st guardian up

#**BOUNTIES**
    • - All new bounties including 9 Daily bounties (3 per day) and 3 new Weekly bounties which reward Legendary Marks
    • - **It might be best to keep the Weekly Bounties till the end of the week**

**DAILY BOUNTIES** - *125 REP Each - 3 out of 9 will be available each day:*
    • - Iron Domination - Win an Iron Banner match with a score of at least 2500
    • - Iron Hued - Win an Iron Banner match with any Iron Banner emblem or shader equipped
    • - Iron Journeyman - Complete an Iron Banner match while finishing in the top 3 on your team
    • - Iron Workhouse - Defeat 20 opposing Guardians in the Iron Banner
    • - Iron Precision - Defeat 10 Guardians with precision headshots
    • - Iron Light - Defeat 15 opposing Guardians using any ability (melee, grenade, super)
    • - Heavy Iron - Defeat 3 opposing Guardians with a Heavy Weapon
    • - Familiar Iron - Get 13 Primary Kills
    • - Polishing Iron - Reach Iron Banner Rank 2

**WEEKLY BOUNTIES** - *525 Rep Each AND 25 Legendary Marks each:*
    • - Iron Versatility: 50 Primary Kills, 25 Special Kills, 13 Heavy Kills
    • - Iron Marathon: Complete 13 matches, Win 7 matches
    • - Iron Gauntlet: 10 Kill Streak (not sure if 2x5 streaks count), 5 Double Kills, Get the Top Score in a match, **reach Rank 4**

#**TABLES EXPLAINED:**
    • - All tables are based off a playtime of 1 hour per day.
    • - 1 hour of play is 5 matches (12 mins per match incl Orbit Matchmaking, post match breakdown etc)
    • - I’ve built the below tables on the **assumption you Lose 3 Games and Win 2 Games** (with the 5th game being a win, meaning you cash in your medallions)
    • - I have factored in completing each of the 3 daily bounties each day, these bounties are very achievable to complete in 5 matches
    • - None of the tables account for the large REP to be gained by completing Weekly Bounties (since these can be tricky for *some* players)
    • - The 1st 4 Tables show how the main REP gaining values (Wins and Medallions, Daily and Weekly Bounties) are affected each day
    • The following 3 Tables show the optimum ways of levelling up between 1 and 3 characters

**MEDALLION VALUES**

Day|Medallion Value|Daily Rep Buff|Value incl 3 Item Buffs|Value incl Items & Daily Buff|Alt Character?|
    Tuesday|50|0%|67|67|133|
    Wednesday|50|15%|67|77|153|
    Thursday|50|25%|67|83|166|
    Friday|50|40%|67|93|186|
    Saturday|50|60%|67|106|213|
    Sunday|50|100%|67|133|266|
    Monday|50|150%|67|166|333|

**WIN VALUES**

Day|Win Value|Daily Rep Buff|Value incl 3 Item Buffs|Value incl Items & Daily Buff|Alt Character?|
    Tuesday|60|0%|80|80|160|
    Wednesday|60|15%|80|92|184|
    Thursday|60|25%|80|100|200|
    Friday|60|40%|80|112|224|
    Saturday|60|60%|80|128|256|
    Sunday|60|100%|80|160|319|
    Monday|60|150%|80|200|399|

**DAILY BOUNTY VALUES**

Day|Bounty Value|Daily Rep Buff|Value incl 3 Item Buffs|Value incl Items & Daily Buff|Alt Character?|
    Tuesday|125|0%|166|166|332|
    Wednesday|125|15%|166|191|382|
    Thursday|125|25%|166|208|415|
    Friday|125|40%|166|232|465|
    Saturday|125|60%|166|266|531|
    Sunday|125|100%|166|332|664|
    Monday|125|150%|166|415|830|

**WEEKLY BOUNTY VALUES**

Day|Bounty Value|Daily Rep Buff|Value incl 3 Item Buffs|Value incl Items & Daily Buff|Alt Character?|
    Tuesday|525|0%|699|699|1398|
    Wednesday|525|15%|699|804|1608|
    Thursday|525|25%|699|874|1748|
    Friday|525|40%|699|979|1957|
    Saturday|525|60%|699|1118|2237|
    Sunday|525|100%|699|1398|2796|
    Monday|525|150%|699|1748|3495|

**PLAYING FOR 1 HOUR A DAY ALL WEEK - MAIN CHARACTER**

Day|3L + 2W|Turning in 3 Bounties|Total Rep Earned (Matches and Bounties)|Remaining REP to Rank 3|Remaining REP to Rank 4|Remaining REP to Rank 5|
    Tuesday|359|498|857|2843|5243|7643|
    Wednesday|413|573|986|1857|4257|6657|
    Thursday|449|623|1072|785|3185|5585|
    Friday|503|697|1200|Achieved|1985|4385|
    Saturday|575|797|1372|-|613|3013|
    Sunday|719|996|1715|-|Achieved|1298|
    Monday|898|1245|2143|-|-|Achieved|

**PLAYING FOR 1 HOUR A DAY ON THE WEEKEND ONLY - MAIN CHARACTER**

**NOTE:** Pick up 3 Bounties on Tue, Wed and Thur so that Friday you can Turn in 6 to 9 bounties, simply fly to the tower and grab the bounties, no need to play Iron Banner for the 1st 3 days.

Day|3L + 2W|Turning in 3 Bounties|Total Rep Earned (Matches and Bounties)|Remaining REP to Rank 3|Remaining REP to Rank 4|Remaining REP to Rank 5|
    Friday|446|1394|1841|1859|4259|6659|
    Saturday|510|797|1307|553|2953|5353|
    Sunday|637|996|1633|Achieved|1319|3719|
    Monday|797|1245|2042|-|Achieved|1677|

**PLAYING FOR 1 HOUR A DAY ON THE WEEKEND ONLY - ALTERNATE CHARACTERS**

**NOTE:** Pick up 3 Bounties on Tue, Wed and Thur so that Friday you can Turn in 6 to 9 bounties, simply fly to the tower and grab the bounties, no need to play Iron Banner for the 1st 3 days.

Saturday|1150|3187|4337|Achieved|1763|4163|
    Sunday|1437|1992|3429|-|Achieved|733|
    Monday|1797|2490|4287|-|-|Achieved|

**Previous Iron Banner Launch Seasons**
    • 26th January (4 Weeks) - Rift
    • 28th December (4 Weeks) - Control
    • 17th November (6 Weeks) - Clash
    • 13th October (5 Weeks)
    • 25th August (7 Weeks)
    • 28th July (4 Weeks)
    • 30th June (4 Weeks)
    • 2nd June (4 Weeks)
    • 28th April (5 Weeks)
    • 17th March (6 Weeks)
    • 17th February (4 Weeks)
    • 13th January (5 Weeks)
    • 16th December (4 weeks)
    • 18th November (4 weeks)
    • 7th October (6 weeks)

Yeah.... I CNBF formatting that AGAIN any further.... All the important info is there :P

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭CDBWhoop

Wall of text and spreadsheets...

Eh, can we have a TL;DR?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I'm actually excited. Last IB was my first one and my 317 Weyloran's March was my first high LL gun. Don't think clash will be as good as rift though, rift was amazing.

CDBWhoop wrote: »
    Eh, can we have a TL;DR?

Shoot scrubz, get bitchez, blaze up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Why did they have to make the sniper roll so awful??

• Registered Users Posts: 45,675 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Well, that was a tough night last night.

Started with my Titan with an absolute STINKER on Drifter with a .38 KD.... pitiful.

Followed up with 1.4, 1.5, 1.4, 2.7 and 1.2.

Swapped over to Warlock and was average at best - most positive K/D but not by too much most of the time.

Then came the Hunter and FOOK KNOWS what the hell happened to me then - single handedly losing matches - a ZERO POINT TWO FIVE to start off with, and it didn't improve by much - had ONE decent game with a 1.9 KD and Best Around (getting me the hardest part of that weekly).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I've never had that sniper but the RoF on it seems really good. Might be an ok gun for us non-snipers. Don't care that it can't res-snipe 'cos I HATE TRIALS

Advertisement