Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Manchester United, k/o 14.05 Jan 17th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We Wuz Mugged

CZDSOYt.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

J. Marston wrote: »
    Must be particularly grating for Liverpool fans to see Fellaini absolutely dominate them in every aspect.

Yes what a wonderful footballer who really is keeping with the spirit of how utd play football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Fantastic win. Rooney is back.

To be fair to Klopp he needs time to get his own squad with players like Caulker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Liam O wrote: »
    Ah he was left a load of rubbish, Firmino, Benteke and Coutinho. We'll see what he does in the Summer.

Should be interesting seeing as his first move is to get caulker on loan and plays him up front:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Nope.

1-0. Full time. We were better, far superior in second half.

We weren't great but Liverpool were pretty awful throughout. How they left 4 on Fellaini and 0 on Rooney.

Ah will ya stop. Liverpool were the better team overall, but what does it matter. You's won, end of story.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Souness "Ibe asleep"
    Carragher "the result is what matters"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Toobz wrote: »
    As a united fan I think that's a bit of a sh*t comment...Liverpool are literally only missing a top class striker

That's a rediculous comment, Liverpool only missing a top class striker ? You mustn't watch them much or have much of an understanding of football if that is your view they are a seriously flawed side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

monkey9 wrote: »
    Ah will ya stop. Liverpool were the better team overall, but what does it matter. You's won, end of story.

Liverpool should of scored in the first half, united took their only clear cut chance.

Games like that happen a lot, happy enough with the win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Fellaini gets a lot of stick, rightly so, bit to be fair to him he keeps fronting up, made himself available all day in midfield, and won a lot of ball. He's no Beckenbauer but in a match between two mediocre teams he did enough to justify the win. As an away team I think we did OK, Pool made a few chances but not many. Made one scored one ain't great but as with any Pool game, will take one of those any day. Now let's start stringing some results together

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Dozyart wrote: »
    1 shot on target,1 goal,3 points.....massive lols

Efficiency at it's finest.

• Advertisement

If there is a silver lining and I'm very upset at least this result will keep van gal at utd for the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Ha, how many goals in the history of football would be undeserved if that criteria applied? Perhaps you should stick to the cycling.

I think it's a perfectly valid opinion. I don't think the best team on a particular day is always the winner. I think Liverpool should definitely count themselves unlucky to have gotten nothing from that game, they were far better going forward. 19 shots to 7 and superior possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Lucas "fúcking" Leiva losing Rooney there for the goal. Class player.
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Yes what a wonderful footballer who really is keeping with the spirit of how utd play football

Exactly. No nonsense kick-the-shít-out-of-you football. I love it.

Liverpool can keep doing.....whatever it is they do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

I think it's a perfectly valid opinion. I don't think the best team on a particular day is always the winner. I think Liverpool should definitely count themselves unlucky to have gotten nothing from that game, they were far better going forward. 19 shots to 7 and superior possession.

United were clinical indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Wish we play these lot every week. Double again this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

In the Short term Man Utd have won the game today but that is a long way from the full story. It's the 14th game for Jurgen Klopp who took over this team during the season. In those 14 games we have seen evidence of the foundations which he is laying at that club to succeed in the long term. On the other hand this is a Man Utd side that cost an eye-watering amount of money and are into the second season of Van Gaal and there are no noticeable signs of improvement. The Man Utd performance today is another that should have alarm bells ringing despite the positive result.

Purely in terms of that game, Liverpool were the better side by a considerable distance. Their football had far more purpose, their ideas were clear to see. The disappointment for Klopp will be that Man Utd were hanging on for over 60 minutes and the chance to put the game to bed was there but Liverpool were unable to take it. There are a few areas in the squad which Klopp must address, goalscoring probably the most pressing of them all. A poorly defended corner kick has undone them today and was one of the very few chances Man Utd had all day.

Short term it's a disappointing loss for Liverpool. Long term you can see what Liverpool are trying to do and where they aim to go. Meanwhile Man Utd stay in the wilderness, searching for an identity post Ferguson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Two poor teams, Liverpool can count themselves very unlucky today. Utd were absolute muck, improved in second half but that isn't saying much.

I can't believe there are Utd fans on here saying that Utd deserved the win without being on the wind up, and to be fair the ones I've seen saying it aren't the usual suspects when it comes to that.

**** game to watch though. The quality was awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Poor game. United seemed to come for the draw not even attempting to test Mignolet for the first hour which is bizarre seeing as he's been so dodgy. De Gea kept the score at 0-0 but in reality Can's shot wasn't all the way over to the corner so other keeper's would have saved it. That was Liverpool's best chance.

United took advantage with a superb cross. I have no idea why you would want to start Jesse Lingard ahead of Juan Mata? He was woeful and Mata made his class count when he came on - excellent cross. Rooney had to finish but you always knew he would. Too little too late for Liverpool to make the changes.

Overall neither team look like challenging for a title anytime soon but both managers are world class so the boards should be looking at this and backing their managers because the players on both sides are not good enough.

Congrats to United. Hate to say that but it was a fair game at least and they did the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Looks like I didn't miss much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Lucas "fúcking" Leiva losing Rooney there for the goal. Class player.

Exactly. No nonsense kick-the-shít-out-of-you football. I love it.

Liverpool can keep doing.....whatever it is they do.

Yes but aren't you used to winning leagues. Is this what you are reduced to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Wonder how long this thread will last seeing as UTD won. No City/Lpool group **** to be had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

8-10 wrote: »
    Poor game. United seemed to come for the draw not even attempting to test Mignolet for the first hour which is bizarre seeing as he's been so dodgy. De Gea kept the score at 0-0 but in reality Can's shot wasn't all the way over to the corner so other keeper's would have saved it. That was Liverpool's best chance.

United took advantage with a superb cross. I have no idea why you would want to start Jesse Lingard ahead of Juan Mata? He was woeful and Mata made his class count when he came on - excellent cross. Rooney had to finish but you always knew he would. Too little too late for Liverpool to make the changes.

Overall neither team look like challenging for a title anytime soon but both managers are world class so the boards should be looking at this and backing their managers because the players on both sides are not good enough.

Congrats to United. Hate to say that but it was a fair game at least and they did the job.

Just so you know, that is not United coming for a draw. That is just how we play. Whether it was Villa or Man City we play that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

niallo27 wrote: »
    If there is a silver lining and I'm very upset at least this result will keep van gal at utd for the future

Aye, keep that good record going v Liverpool for another season at least.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

M!Ck^ wrote: »

I wonder what injury Phil picked up celebrating :p

adox wrote: »
    Two poor teams, Liverpool can count themselves very unlucky today. Utd were absolute muck, improved in second half but that isn't saying much.

I can't believe there are Utd fans on here saying that Utd deserved the win without being on the wind up, and to be fair the ones I've seen saying it aren't the usual suspects when it comes to that.

**** game to watch though. The quality was awful.

Totally agree I'm sitting here with a Leeds fan and he is was just saying how **** the game was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Van Gaal is simply a better manager than Klopp
    Bizarre post. Both teams are very evenly matched as evidenced by the game today. The massive difference is that Klopp as taken over his team from the manager who built it and could not get it to perform, whereas Van Gaal has built his team to his own specifications and philosophy, spending 200m in the process. And I think you would find it very hard to find any neutral who would say Utd played better football or were more exciting than Liverpool today. Because they weren't, and they scored with their first shot on target of the game.
    Must be particularly grating for Liverpool fans to see Fellaini absolutely dominate them in every aspect.
    Must be particularly grating for Utd fans to see Herrara substitued once again while Fellani remains on the pitch, when most Utd fans constantly complain about Fellani and claim that Herrara is one of their best players and reflects the kind of football they want to play. I mean, which is it? You can't just change the narrative because of a lucky 1-0 win over Liverpool. There is something seriously systemically wrong at Utd and silly remarks like that achieve nothing in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Wonder how long this thread will last seeing as UTD won. No City/Lpool group **** to be had.

Ask the mods i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭cwboy

Two very poor sets of players. Crazy the amount of money spent by both clubs on very average players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

No excuses, United defended when they had to. We went asleep from a corner AGAIN!!! Well played to the winners. Huge work for Klopp in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Character.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Schwiiing wrote: »

Plenty Liverpool **** from what I saw :(

• Louis loves beating Liverpool :)

Massive win

Get in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Fantastic to see Louis continue his 100% record against Liverpool. If only we could play them every week

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

In the Short term Man Utd have won the game today but that is a long way from the full story. It's the 14th game for Jurgen Klopp who took over this team during the season. In those 14 games we have seen evidence of the foundations which he is laying at that club to succeed in the long term. On the other hand this is a Man Utd side that cost an eye-watering amount of money and are into the second season of Van Gaal and there are no noticeable signs of improvement. The Man Utd performance today is another that should have alarm bells ringing despite the positive result.

Purely in terms of that game, Liverpool were the better side by a considerable distance. Their football had far more purpose, their ideas were clear to see. The disappointment for Klopp will be that Man Utd were hanging on for over 60 minutes and the chance to put the game to bed was there but Liverpool were unable to take it. There are a few areas in the squad which Klopp must address, goalscoring probably the most pressing of them all. A poorly defended corner kick has undone them today and was one of the very few chances Man Utd had all day.

Short term it's a disappointing loss for Liverpool. Long term you can see what Liverpool are trying to do and where they aim to go. Meanwhile Man Utd stay in the wilderness, searching for an identity post Ferguson.

I think this is a sensible post.

United didn't deseve the win but got it and that's all that matters now, they go home with all 3 points. We had a slim hope of 4th if we won today but now that is gone now.

Like you say Liverpool are 14 games(I thought it was a few more) into a new project with Klopp. Since he has come in you can see the improvements and hopefully they will keep coming.

Given time and a few players of his choosing I think we can challenge for top 4 again.

Also to all the above posters who are saying Van Gall is a mastermind etc, over the last few weeks lots of you have been calling him poison/spoofer/berate of ideas, you changed your mind quickly didn't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No excuses, United defended when they had to. We went asleep from a corner AGAIN!!! Well played to the winners. Huge work for Klopp in the summer.

Ye really miss Sturridge, for me he is possibly Liverpool's best player, but he is a bit like our Phil Jones, made of china and breaks too easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Quite often the home team is always going to have the better statistics. It's silly to suggest an away side must match a home side's shots tally before deserving a goal of their own. What about sides that are simply weaker than their opponents? Were Ireland undeserving of their goal and win against Germany last year?

Shots and possession statistics mean little and don't win games. If teams deserved to win based on possession then United would be out of sight at the top of the league. Liverpool failed to convert their chances - which were mainly half chances - either through their own poor finishing or United having a world class keeper in goals. Some of their shots were never likely to go in. Henderson practically passed the ball to De Gea at the edge of the United box yet that counts as a shot on target and is a supposed indication of Liverpools superior attacking play. They defended poorly for United's goal and were punished for it.

If United didn't deserve that goal, are you also of the opinion that Liverpool didn't deserve to concede it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Poor game. Great result.
    Louis keeps the 100% record over Liverpool in tact :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

RobertKK wrote: »
    Ye really miss Sturridge, for me he is possibly Liverpool's best player, but he is a bit like our Phil Jones, made of china and breaks too easily.

I wonder could both teams fund a project where we develop a new stronger invincible type of China/glass :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

FutureGuy wrote:
    1-0. Full time. We were better, far superior in second half.

Deffo watching a different game.United were their drab dull selves,would have been well out of it only for de gea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Well done Rooney. Good result for United, demoralising one for liverpool . Maybe next year chaps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

FutureGuy wrote:
    Superb victory. The pressure must be on Kloop now. I really like the guy but a pretty poor start gmbeing honest.

Haha, pressure on Klopp ? That's mad

magentis wrote: »
    Deffo watching a different game.United were their drab dull selves,would have been well out of it only for de gea.

Meh, they were as bad as each other. Liverpool's style of play leads to more chances than the more measured approach of United. They both played their game averagely, De Gea didn't have to do anything amazing, Liverpool just aren't great in front of goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Quite often the home team is always going to have the better statistics. It's silly to suggest an away side must match a home side's shots tally before deserving a goal of their own. What about sides that are simply weaker than their opponents? Were Ireland undeserving of their goal and win against Germany last year?

Shots and possession statistics mean little and don't win games. If teams deserved to win based on possession then United would be out of sight at the top of the league. Liverpool failed to convert their chances - which were mainly half chances - either through their own poor finishing or United having a world class keeper in goals. Some of their shots were never likely to go in. Henderson practically passed the ball to De Gea at the edge of the United box yet that counts as a shot on target and is a supposed indication of Liverpools superior attacking play. They defended poorly for United's goal and were punished for it.

If United didn't deserve that goal, are you also of the opinion that Liverpool didn't deserve to concede it?

I didn't mean or say deserving of the goal, I meant the result. When I think of a team deserving a win, I generally think of them having played better or at least matched their opponents, which I think for most of the game United did not do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Meh, they were as bad as each other. Liverpool's style of play leads to more chances than the more measured approach of United. They both played their game averagely, De Gea didn't have to do anything amazing, Liverpool just aren't great in front of goal.

The Can save was good, everything else you'd expect a Prem keeper to save, except Mignolet

So nothing amazing about that save then?

RobertKK wrote: »

Hope Jones survived the Anfield road celebrations ok!!

United aren't dependent on Jones, our attack is on Sturrige unfortunately. Don't even think Coutinho would have made a difference today. The pattern was set and I always felt United were happy to wait for a set piece. For all the sh1te Van Gal gets he got it spot on today imo.

Looking at some of the comments here,I reckon some did not even see the game.They possibly listened to it on the radio......in arabic.

Unearthly wrote: »
    The Can save was good, everything else you'd expect a Prem keeper to save, except Mignolet

It was a good save, I'd be disappointed in him if he didn't keep it out though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement