Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Manchester United, k/o 14.05 Jan 17th

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

magentis wrote: »
    Looking at some of the comments here,I reckon some did not even see the game.They possibly listened to it on the radio......in arabic.

I watched it. It was great because United won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I remember when this used to be a big game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Klopp is pretty lucky to have a team with such low expectation tbh, all the fanfare with his arrival and he has been very underwhelming overall so far. Maybe it will be different next year?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

magentis wrote: »
    Looking at some of the comments here,I reckon some did not even see the game.They possibly listened to it on the radio......in arabic.

Both sides wanted to win so whatever happened on the field was secondary to the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Klopp is pretty lucky to have a team with such low expectation tbh, all the fanfare with his arrival and he has been very underwhelming overall so far. Maybe it will be different next year?

I'd like to give a new manager a chance to get at least one of his own players in before rushing to judgement. Not to mind having to manage during the worst run of injuries at the club in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'd like to give a new manager a chance to get at least one of his own players in before rushing to judgement. Not to mind having to manage during the worst run of injuries at the club in years.

His new striker Caulker?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Agreed with Fred. Not sure that DDG was anything special today. Made some saves I would expect a good keeper to make but that was it. Having watched games were DDG kept us in it singlehandedly, this was not close to one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I didn't mean or say deserving of the goal, I meant the result. When I think of a team deserving a win, I generally think of them having played better or at least matched their opponents, which I think for most of the game United did not do.

But what really matters though is the score. United didn't concede any and scored 1. Liverpool, for all their shots, couldn't score any and failed to defend United's only real chance. Who's the more deserving of 3 points there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

You could say the same for Van Gaal, relatively speaking at least. The rest of your assessment definitely applies as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It'll still be Rodgers fault when they're 9th in February next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Canadel wrote: »
    You could say the same for Van Gaal, relatively speaking at least. The rest of your assessment definitely applies as well.

Van Gaal is probably the luckiest manager in top flight football at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

J. Marston wrote: »

K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Canadel wrote: »

But Van Gaal has lowered that expectation himself. The summer of 2014, Van Gaal was a tactical genius to some folks, who subbed a keeper for a penalty shootout. Now those same folks don't like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hopefully football will be the real winner today.

... and it wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

But what really matters though is the score. United didn't concede any and scored 1. Liverpool, for all their shots, couldn't score any and failed to defend United's only real chance. Who's the more deserving of 3 points there?

Like I said, I don't think the most deserving team always wins, and I don't think it happened today. I'm only repeating myself at this stage so I'll leave it there. And I won't just stick to the cycling ;)

Agreed with Fred. Not sure that DDG was anything special today. Made some saves I would expect a good keeper to make but that was it. Having watched games were DDG kept us in it singlehandedly, this was not close to one of those.

In a game like that, all you can do was give MOTM to De Gea. He kept Man U in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

J. Marston wrote: »

Nope it's moved onto the squad now. They're the ones to blame these days apparently.

quarryman wrote: »
    Nope it's moved onto the squad now. They're the ones to blame these days apparently.

Who's to blame for what now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

monkey9 wrote: »
    In a game like that, all you can do was give MOTM to De Gea. He kept Man U in it.

Isn't that what he's paid to do?

• Advertisement

Isn't that what he's paid to do?

Em...yeah? :confused: You get what you pay for.

I just don't remember many clear cut chances where he pulled off a great save. Henderson put it straight at him first half and it nearly squirmed under him, but he managed to save it. Other than that, the Can shot was decent but jeepers should be saving that.

I just don't remember many clear cut chances where he pulled off a great save. Henderson put it straight at him first half and it nearly squirmed under him, but he managed to save it. Other than that, the Can shot was decent but jeepers should be saving that.

I'm not saying it was a good quality game, but De Gea was Man U's best player. For me, Lucas was MOTM, but once Man U scored, the MOTM award had to go to one of their players, hence De Gea.

For example, if Brad Jones was in goal for Man U, Liverpool would have won.

I'm not saying it was a good quality game, but De Gea was Man U's best player. For me, Lucas was MOTM, but once Man U scored, the MOTM award had to go to one of their players, hence De Gea.

For example, if Brad Jones was in goal for Man U, Liverpool would have won.

Why use a terrible keeper that Liverpool got rid of as an example? I reckon Mignolet would have kept a clean sheet in goal for United today.

Why use a terrible keeper that Liverpool got rid of as an example? I reckon Mignolet would have kept a clean sheet in goal for United today.

I'm really not sure what the debate here is, to be honest. The Man U goalkeeper was kept very busy and he pulled off some good saves. What's the problem?

I'm really not sure what the debate here is, to be honest. The Man U goalkeeper was kept very busy and he pulled off some good saves. What's the problem?

No problem at all. I think some people are overstating the performance of De Gea in a bid to console themselves on the defeat.

It's par for the course with Liverpool fans though. They seem to always be talking about the blinders that keepers play against them, even the poor keepers, when most of the time it's just poor shooting, straight at the keeper.

I think it's the narrative. For me, the United keeper made some routine saves with only really one chance where I thought he may have had trouble.

I kind of get what you are saying, I just think that this was not a vintage DDG performance and an indictment of a terrible match that he got MOTM for simply being competent, rather than outstanding.

No problem at all. I think some people are overstating the performance of De Gea in a bid to console themselves on the defeat.

It's par for the course with Liverpool fans though. They seem to always be talking about the blinders that keepers play against them, even the poor keepers, when most of the time it's just poor shooting, straight at the keeper.

I'm not overstating the performance at all. It was a poor game in which Liverpool were the better side and De Gea was MOTM. That's not saying Liverpool were unlucky or anything, that's why De Gea was bought and gets his game, that's just what happened in today's match.

Again, i don't see the problem in those sentiments.

I think it's the narrative. For me, the United keeper made some routine saves with only really one chance where I thought he may have had trouble.

I kind of get what you are saying, I just think that this was not a vintage DDG performance and an indictment of a terrible match that he got MOTM for simply being competent, rather than outstanding.

I agree. I'm really not saying otherwise. Look, Man U won so nothing else matters in this particular fixture.

• No problem at all. I think some people are overstating the performance of De Gea in a bid to console themselves on the defeat.

It's par for the course with Liverpool fans though. They seem to always be talking about the blinders that keepers play against them, even the poor keepers, week most of the time it's just poor shooting, straight at the keeper.

Well said, De Gea as motd was the only hype sky could generate in what was honestly an awful game.
    Has given Liverpool fans something to latch on to but at the end of the day utd just about deserved the win

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Well said, De Gea as motd was the only hype sky could generate in what was honestly an awful game.
    Has given Liverpool fans something to latch on to but at the end of the day utd just about deserved the win

What are we latching on to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Scratches head.....United deserved the win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Based on what? If you base deserving the win on who scored the goals than sure. But if you base it on any number of other criteria like attacking play, chances, etc there is no way United "deserved" to win.

That often doesn't matter in football but don't act like the better team won Mick. Liverpool were poor today. United were awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

There is no latch, we were poor.

• monkey9 wrote: »
    What are we latching on to?

Some dumfounded notion that you should have got a result and De Gea was the only person that prevented it

He made one or two goods saves and that was about it, but considering how poor the game was its being over highlighted and Sky pundits haven't helped the situation

Utd deserved the win, they limited Liverpool who were at home and utd capitalised on there defensive frailties, especially from cornors

Van gaal got his tactics right

Even blind copped on as his cornor delivery was so poor. Passing it for a short cornor to mata was a good move

Kirby wrote: »
    Based on what? If you base deserving the win on who scored the goals than sure. But if you base it on any number of other criteria like attacking play, chances, etc there is no way United "deserved" to win.

That often doesn't matter in football but don't act like the better team won Mick. Liverpool were poor today. United were awful.

How significant are chances unless they are converted? They were all either easily saved by United's goalkeeper or just off target. You don't automatically deserve something from a match just for racking up a large number of sh*t shots.

Its fair to say the weekend games were rubbish compared to the mid-week ones. Only midweek games from now on please. :P

The best bit was when the ball went in the net.

How significant are chances unless they are converted?

More significant than the team that created virtually no chances.

I have no horse in this race. I saw it for what it was. United were really, really poor and were lucky to win the game. I find notions of either team, let alone United, "deserving" to win that game preposterous. Both played poorly. United more so as they created nothing and never looked like doing so.

• Advertisement

• How significant are chances unless they are converted? They were all either easily saved by United's goalkeeper or just off target. You don't automatically deserve something from a match just for racking up a large number of sh*t shots.

Funny thing is Liverpool must have been forced to shoot about 7+ times from 40 yards out.

Henderson was guilty of it multiple times

But sure hey that apparently means Liverpool should have won

More significant than the team that created virtually no chances.

I have no horse in this race. I saw it for what it was. United were really, really poor and were lucky to win the game. I find notions of either team, let alone United, "deserving" to win that game preposterous. Both played poorly. United more so as they created nothing and never looked like doing so.

That's just blatantly incorrect. United's "virtually no chances" resulted in a goal, a win and 3 points. How is that of less significance than Liverpool hitting lots of shots wide or giving the ball to De Gea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

A draw would have been the fair result.

It's a stretch to say we deserved it, aside from we had a striker that can actually strike, albeit with the help of some shocking defending.

On another note, are the LFC players taking shooting lessons from Coutinhio?

Some outrageously bad / wasteful shots from a number of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

To be fair the Liverpool fans saying they were the better team only makes it a billion times sweeter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Another poor performance from United again. Stoke caught Utd on a similar day, thankfully Liverpool could not benefit.

Been a strange league so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Every football organisation in the world bases it on who scores most goals and nothing else matters.

Liverpool failed to score. No way they could be called the better team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Its ok the pool are top of the deserved to win league table may find them a trophie or badge.

Overall tho it wasn't a great performance from united it was a very good result and we got the job dob and nice to see rooney carry on his goal scoring form he has vardys consecutive game records in his sights. De gea put in a stellar performance again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Klopp got the better of Van Gaal today

It was just the score line that went against him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Poor game from two average teams saved only by Liverpools consistent inability to defend set pieces.

Some dumfounded notion that you should have got a result and De Gea was the only person that prevented it

He made one or two goods saves and that was about it, but considering how poor the game was its being over highlighted and Sky pundits haven't helped the situation

Utd deserved the win, they limited Liverpool who were at home and utd capitalised on there defensive frailties, especially from cornors

Van gaal got his tactics right

Even blind copped on as his cornor delivery was so poor. Passing it for a short cornor to mata was a good move

Liverpool were the better side, but Man U won the game. That's the main thing for you's, isn't it. That's why you's bought a quality goalkeeper.

Funny thing is Liverpool must have been forced to shoot about 7+ times from 40 yards out.

Henderson was guilty of it multiple times

But sure hey that apparently means Liverpool should have won

I don't think so....Man U scored more goals didn't they?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement