Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Manchester United, k/o 14.05 Jan 17th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Roon_zps1myitg5g.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

How far utd fans expectations have dropped that today makes their season. Alex Ferguson would be ashamed of you guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

niallo27 wrote: »
    How far utd fans expectations have dropped that today makes their season. Alex Ferguson would be ashamed of you guys

HAHAHAHAHA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Oh Niall, you guys are the epitome of having to rely on United losses to make your season, suck it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

We were crap today but pool weren't much better..just poorer finishing and huge gulf in difference when it comes to keepers. A poor mid table tussle if I'm being honest... but will always take the win over scousers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Nearly up there with your lot celebrating a 2-2 draw with WBA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Alex Ferguson would have been the first to lick the salty tears from ye're faces!:pac:

• What a great win on a great day, 4 wins now for LVG against Liverpool

Not the first time lvg has gotten the better of klopp

Credit to the team, loved the passion and celebrations at the end of the match from the utd fans

Phil Jones in Anfield ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Poor result. Decent performance from Pool but the issues are glaring - a lack of a top class striker especially. We need a new keeper too, that's been obvious for a while, and a dominating midfielder. That's a lot of work and money in the summer. Lallana has been utter garbage and was today was no different, but he's a perfect example of the ridiculous overspend of the last few years on average players that will not lift you into the top 4.

Utd had a striker who could find the net and won the game as a result. Fair play to them. Football is quite obvious at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Poor result. Decent performance from Pool but the issues are glaring - a lack of a top class striker especially. We need a new keeper too, that's been obvious for a while, and a dominating midfielder. That's a lot of work and money in the summer. Lallana has been utter garbage and was today was no different, but he's a perfect example of the ridiculous overspend of the last few years on average players that will not lift you into the top 4.

Utd had a striker who could find the net and won the game as a result. Fair play to them. Football is quite obvious at times.

It's a long road ahead alright. Thankfully we have the right manager in place. I said as much after the Palace, West Brom results etc, we need to accept we're going to have these blips. Patience is required.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

monkey9 wrote: »
    It's a long road ahead alright. Thankfully we have the right manager in place. I said as much after the Palace, West Brom results etc, we need to accept we're going to have these blips. Patience is required.

Patience in football? You're 'avin a giraffe mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Patience in football? You're 'avin a giraffe mate.

Why, i don't Jurgen's getting sacked anytime soon? :confused:

Why, i don't Jurgen's getting sacked anytime soon? :confused:

I never even suggested he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Have the blips/anomalies not been the games against City etc, games like today have been more the status quo I thought?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What a great win on a great day, 4 wins now for LVG against Liverpool

Not the first time lvg has gotten the better of klopp

Credit to the team, loved the passion and celebrations at the end of the match from the utd fans

Phil Jones in Anfield ftw

manchester-united-600x600.jpg

Famous day in Miami.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Have the blips/anomalies not been the games against City etc, games like today have been more the status quo I thought?

Indeed. A blip is something that happens occasionally. This isn't occasional.

Klopp's results have been underwhelming. He's getting a free ride because he's just in the door. If this was Rodgers he'd be gone. Liverpool fans are claiming "He just needs to overhaul the squad". As if it's the easiest thing in the world.

There's a belief that he's the "right" manager. Where is the evidence for that? A new manager (despite inheriting a squad) needs to show some results. Liverpool were 10th when Rodgers was sacked. They are currently 9th.

Liverpool fans keep telling everyone how he's the right manager. At this point I don't think they're even convinced of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Why is a keeper playing well and doing his job worth less than a striker or defender doing theirs? Luckily United had players who stepped up when it mattered for the 4th time in 2 seasons against Liverpool and they didn't.

United in the 2nd half played as they should have from the start. Less nervy moments and when the chance came they took it.

Liam O wrote: »
    Why is a keeper playing well and doing his job worth less than a striker or defender doing theirs? Luckily United had players who stepped up when it mattered for the 4th time in 2 seasons against Liverpool and they didn't.

United in the 2nd half played as they should have from the start. Less nervy moments and when the chance came they took it.

That's the nail on the head there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

quarryman wrote: »

Klopp's results have been underwhelming. He's getting a free ride because he's just in the door. If this was Rodgers he'd be gone. Liverpool fans are claiming "He just needs to overhaul the squad". As if it's the easiest thing in the world.

There's a belief that he's the "right" manager. Where is the evidence for that? A new manager (despite inheriting a squad) needs to show some results. Liverpool were 10th when Rodgers was sacked. They are currently 9th.

Liverpool fans keep telling everyone how he's the right manager. At this point I don't think they're even convinced of that.

We are very much convinced he is the right man for the club. The squad he has inherited is very unbalanced and doesn't fit into the way he wants to play.

There has been some excellent results and performances but I would agree it has been very last season type form.

Klopp hasn't spent a button yet, if in 18 months time we are still churning out these results then he should be under pressure. He's a world class manager, he will be given plenty of time, he built a fine team at Dortmund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Whats the story with you and liverpool. It seems a bit weird or something, why the constant hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

rob316 wrote: »
    We are very much convinced he is the right man for the club. The squad he has inherited is very unbalanced and doesn't fit into the way he wants to play.

There has been some excellent results and performances but I would agree it has been very last season type form.

Klopp hasn't spent a button yet, if in 18 months time we are still churning out these results then he should be under pressure. He's a world class manager, he will be given plenty of time, he built a fine team at Dortmund.

Klopp also oversaw a complete meltdown at Dortmund. People seem to easily forget that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Whats the story with you and liverpool. It seems a bit weird or something, why the constant hate.

What part of his post constitutes hate? Point me to the part.

He's giving his opinion. Just because its not a glowing endorsement of your club doesn't make it hateful.

Klopp also oversaw a complete meltdown at Dortmund. People seem to easily forget that.

More like an unmanageable injury crisis. He finished 8th in the end.

Bad season, yes. Meltdown, no. But don't let truth get in the way of a good story.:rolleyes:

Bad season, yes. Meltdown, no. But don't let truth get in the way of a good story.:rolleyes:

Fair enough. I certainly don't envy ye with Klopp anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Fair enough. I certainly don't envy ye with Klopp anyway.

Yeah who'd want a manager who brought a team from the doldrums to challenge the powerhouse that is Bayern and win...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I think he'll be a good manager for yous in the future when he gets settled. What people might overlook is the fact that Rodgers wasn't high profile, or indeed good enough to attract top level players. Klopp will bring in some decent faces in the next transfer window, I'm sure.

It was a bit of a meltdown in fairness. It was enough for him to pack up and leave with a good chunk of his contract left, that wasn't because of a few injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Liverpool haven't got a hope in hell of signing the calibre of player Klopp had at Dortmund in the summer, they will be 3rd or 4th choice signings at best. It will call into question his ability and how much of it was down to the squad he had at Dortmund

I don't think it will end well for him at Liverpool, I think best case is he gets Europa place and then jumps ship to the Germany job maybe

If he got a title challenge from Liverpool it would be an incredible feat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Kirby wrote: »
    What part of his post constitutes hate? Point me to the part.

He's giving his opinion. Just because its not a glowing endorsement of your club doesn't make it hateful.

Ah I'm not surprised. It's actually impossible to give a reasoned opinion without being attacked when it comes to Liverpool.

The strategy seems to be:

Ignore the content of the post
    Claim that it's just a hate on Liverpool
    Wait for others to row in and agree

Seems pointless even trying to discuss the subject tbh.

Edit: in fairness. Some of Liverpool folk are able to debate: SlickRic, rob316 above etc. Some decent posters in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Ah I'm not surprised. It's actually impossible to give a reasoned opinion without being attacked when it comes to Liverpool.

The strategy seems to be:

Ignore the content of the post
    Claim that it's just a hate on Liverpool
    Wait for others to row in and agree

Seems pointless even trying to discuss the subject tbh.

I'm not a liverpool fan but he's so clearly the right manager it's ridiculous.

Liverpool are very lucky to get someone like him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Liverpool haven't got a hope in hell of signing the calibre of player Klopp had at Dortmund in the summer

Klopp didn't generally buy ready made superstars at Dortmund. Most of them only became household names after he got hold of them.

Liverpool haven't got a hope in hell of signing the calibre of player Klopp had at Dortmund in the summer, they will be 3rd or 4th choice signings at best. It will call into question his ability and how much of it was down to the squad he had at Dortmund

I don't think it will end well for him at Liverpool, I think best case is he gets Europa place and then jumps ship to the Germany job maybe

If he got a title challenge from Liverpool it would be an incredible feat

The Dortmund team was built for a pittance, the success of Klopps reign if he is given carte blanche on transfers will depend on his eye for a player and unearthing a gem.
    I am fully aware we can't compete for CL calibre well known proven talent.

There will be no more money spent on "PL Proven" players though under Klopp that much I would be pretty confident in. No more of your Benteke, Lambert, Lallana, Adam, Carroll, Downing, Lovren etc. For too long we have pissed money away on midtable performers and surprise surprise we have finished midtable with these players.

Should have brought Zorc with him just to be sure.

• J. Marston wrote: »
    Must be particularly grating for Liverpool fans to see Fellaini absolutely dominate them in every aspect.

I love Fellaini

Especially when he plays against Liverpool

Drives them mad :)

Hi Bangkok, be nice now

Michael Zorc seems to have a big say in the building of teams at Dortmund also.

To say the squad doesn't suit Klopp and use it as a justification for poor results is folly. Shouldn't a world class manager be able to work with the players he has and adapt a style that suits them and gets the best out of them rather then just the only one he knows himself even if the players are not able to perform it?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Yeah who'd want a manager who brought a team from the doldrums to challenge the powerhouse that is Bayern and win...

A Bayern side in transition and who soon signed some of the best players Dortmund had to offer. Dortmund then went into serious decline and Klopp left by mutual consent rather than try and get them back to the top. No top club even tried to get him over the summer.

It's gas how much Liverpool fans are clinging on to the hope that Klopp will make them great again. What if he doesn't?

It was a disaster, the second best squad in the league by quite a distance flirting with relegation for so long. Did Jose also not oversee a meltdown at Chelsea this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What are they smoking over at Elland Road?

ps quarryman you DO seem to have a "pebble in the shoe" presence on Liverpool threads when they lose.

A Bayern side in transition and who soon signed some of the best players Dortmund had to offer. Dortmund then went into serious decline and Klopp left by mutual consent rather than try and get them back to the top. No top club even tried to get him over the summer.

It's gas how much Liverpool fans are clinging on to the hope that Klopp will make them great again. What if he doesn't?

Could the same be said for United fans and LVG? Although most want him out...

Klopp has a proven track record of success. We have a HUGE injury crisis and a crazy imbalanced squad with quite a few average players in it. Expecting miracles would be laughable. You can keep telling yourself Klopp is a poor manager but I reckon if you were honest with yourself you'd rather him than LVg.

Didn't you kinda answer, and invalidate your own comparison there?

That was weird.

• Advertisement

I'll be amazed if Klopp can build a team that turns into world beaters for the second time

It would be an awe inspiring achievement, I would hate him for it but I'd still be in awe of it

I'll be amazed if Klopp can build a team that turns into world beaters for the second time

It would be an awe inspiring achievement, I would hate him for it but I'd still be in awe of it

He doesn't need to. There's no Bayern in this league. He just needs to get players who a) suit his style of football and b) don't spend the whole season injured. He might fail but that doesn't mean we can't hope he succeeds. What are we supposed to do? Get on his back because he hasn't turned an imbalanced injury ravaged squad into world beaters?!? He's an appointment most of us dreamed of and was mentioned MANY MANY times in the united thread as a potential appointment. Most united fans said we had no shot at securing the appointment as he was out of our league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

What are they smoking over at Elland Road?

ps quarryman you DO seem to have a "pebble in the shoe" presence on Liverpool threads when they lose.

3861192.jpg

He doesn't need to. There's no Bayern in this league. He just needs to get players who a) suit his style of football and b) don't spend the whole season injured. He might fail but that doesn't mean we can't hope he succeeds. What are we supposed to do? Get on his back because he hasn't turned an imbalanced injury ravaged squad into world beaters?!? He's an appointment most of us dreamed of and was mentioned MANY MANY times in the united thread as a potential appointment. Most united fans said we had no shot at securing the appointment as he was out of our league.

If Liverpool up their game so too will the 4 bigger fish in the league, it's not practical to talk about Liverpool improving in isolation ignoring that there are 4 noticeably bigger clubs in the league who will improve if needs be like they have in the past. He really needs to unearth 3 or 4 real world class gems to upset the status quo and challenge for the league and probably just to get top 4 imo.

Between now and next January it should be clear whether he's the saviour or not, it took about that length of time to figure Van Gaal out for sure

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

Rooney Rooney

Could the same be said for United fans and LVG? Although most want him out...

Klopp has a proven track record of success. We have a HUGE injury crisis and a crazy imbalanced squad with quite a few average players in it. Expecting miracles would be laughable. You can keep telling yourself Klopp is a poor manager but I reckon if you were honest with yourself you'd rather him than LVg.

No. Most United fan's agree that LVG's job is to steady the ship and fix the mess left by Moyes and that's pretty much what he's doing. That said, this season has been disappointing so far and a lot of fans do want rid of him - myself included.

The difference is United have the global appeal and financial muscle to get back to the top and stay there. Liverpool don't, that's why they are more reliant on a genius manager and unearthing a few gems to get them there. But if Klopp doesn't work out, who else will?

I never said Klopp was a poor manager, I just don't think he's as good as many would like to believe. Honestly, I wouldn't be too keen on having him at United - certainly not on what I've seen since he has arrived in England.

What is this HUGE injury crisis ye are having? Seems to me most of yer first team players were fit today.

No. Most United fan's agree that LVG's job is to steady the ship and fix the mess left by Moyes and that's pretty much what he's doing. That said, this season has been disappointing so far and a lot of fans do want rid of him - myself included.

The difference is United have the global appeal and financial muscle to get back to the top and stay there. Liverpool don't, that's why they are more reliant on a genius manager and unearthing a few gems to get them there. But if Klopp doesn't work out, who else will?

I never said Klopp was a poor manager, I just don't think he's as good as many would like to believe. Honestly, I wouldn't be too keen on having him at United - certainly not on what I've seen since he has arrived in England.

What is this HUGE injury crisis ye are having? Seems to me most of yer first team players were fit today.

Sktrel, Lovren, Ings, Sturridge, Origi, Coutinho (our best player). So only the 3 strikers and 2 cbs and best player. Not that the cbs would have done any better than the lads who played (sakho is our best) but we started without a striker due to the fact all 3 are injured and Benteke doesn't suit our style of play. But yeah you're right. We've had no injury problems...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Shouldn't a world class manager be able to work with the players he has and adapt a style that suits them and gets the best out of them rather then just the only one he knows himself even if the players are not able to perform it?

You may be right, but would you apply the same criteria to Alex Ferguson? He was a world class manager and it took him 4 years to win silverware, another 3 to win the league, and another 6 to win the European Cup.

Why does Klopp only get a couple of months to turn Liverpool around?

• Advertisement

Sktrel, Lovren, Ings, Sturridge, Origi, Coutinho (our best player). So only the 3 strikers and 2 cbs and best player. Not that the cbs would have done any better than the lads who played (sakho is our best) but we started without a striker due to the fact all 3 are injured and Benteke doesn't suit our style of play. But yeah you're right. We've had no injury problems...

Didn't say ye had no injury problems. It just didn't seem like ye had many starters out. Origi and Ings are hardly first teamers, they're not very good either. Lovren is hardly a loss. Skrtl Coutinho and Sturridge are the only major players injured in my opinion.

United have Carrick, Shaw, Jones, Schweinsteiger, Valencia, and Rojo injured. This forced them to play Young at right back who then went off injured himself and led to an early substitution.

Looks like United have more injured players than Liverpool do, yet not many United fans are claiming a HUGE injury crisis.

See United last season for a HUGE injury crisis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement