Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Manchester United, k/o 14.05 Jan 17th

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

fyfe79 wrote: »
    You may be right, but would you apply the same criteria to Alex Ferguson? He was a world class manager and it took him 4 years to win silverware, another 3 to win the league, and another 6 to win the European Cup.

Why does Klopp only get a couple of months to turn Liverpool around?

The same reason why ye sacked Rodgers, Hodgson, Dalglish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

The same reason why ye sacked Rodgers, Hodgson, Dalglish.

Not the same at all. Klopp has championship winning pedigree. Hodgson & Rodgers had won nothing. Dalglish is the obvious outlier, but his successes were over 15 years (Blackburn) and 20 years (LFC) previously, and the game had moved on.

Coming back to Ferguson, he was given time due to his impressive stint with Aberdeen. The same reason Klopp will be given plenty of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Not the same at all. Klopp has championship winning pedigree. Hodgson & Rodgers had won nothing. Dalglish is the obvious outlier, but his successes were over 15 years (Blackburn) and 20 years (LFC) previously, and the game had moved on.

Coming back to Ferguson, he was given time due to his impressive stint with Aberdeen. The same reason Klopp will be given plenty of time.

Ferguson wouldn't get that time in today's game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Ferguson wouldn't get that time in today's game.

Exactly.

Its a nonsense argument.

Football nowadays compared to when Fergie took over is poles apart.

Back then it was seen as something the oiks enjoyed at the weekend.

These days it's a multi billion pound industry built on results and success. Just look at the PL TV deal for proof of just how much it's worth.

If that's not achieved in a reasonable time frame then then the club have to look at other options.

Klopp is a top manager but to argue that Benteke does not suit his style of play is nonsense. A world class manager makes the most out of what's available, leaving a £32m striker on the bench and playing with no recognised striker, at home, against your most hated rivals, who are low on confidence was short sighted. Adjust how you play when the need dictates rather than make excuses with injuries.

As for the injuries, Sturridge is the only player out who could make a major difference. I keep hearing about this fantastic player, The Count, taking multiple shots from outside the box in every game with the odd one going in does not a brilliant player make.

Its all excuses.

The fact is that they don't have the balls when it counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Or Klopp will be given time because simply he's the best manager Liverpool could get. He hasn't even brought in any of his own players ffs.

And anyone who thinks we don't miss Coutinho doesn't watch very many Liverpool games. Theres a reason barca are monitoring him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

niallo27 wrote: »
    How far utd fans expectations have dropped that today makes their season. Alex Ferguson would be ashamed of you guys

Tried ringing him last night for a chat and he wouldn't pick up.

Hashtag worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    He hasn't even brought in any of his own players ffs.

Signed Caulker, or was that the "committee", or "not a Klopp signing"?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Signed Caulker, or was that the "committee", or "not a Klopp signing"?

:confused:

I'm not sure a loan signing to cover injuries counts buy sure if you want to argue it yeah he brought in caulker. I'm sure that was a condition when he signed his contract "caulker comes too or no deal"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Exactly.

Its a nonsense argument.

These days it's a multi billion pound industry built on results and success. Just look at the PL TV deal for proof of just how much it's worth.

If that's not achieved in a reasonable time frame then then the club have to look at other options.

Klopp is a top manager but to argue that Benteke does not suit his style of play is nonsense. A world class manager makes the most out of what's available, leaving a £32m striker on the bench and playing with no recognised striker, at home, against your most hated rivals, who are low on confidence was short sighted. Adjust how you play when the need dictates rather than make excuses with injuries.

As for the injuries, Sturridge is the only player out who could make a major difference. I keep hearing about this fantastic player, The Count, taking multiple shots from outside the box in every game with the odd one going in does not a brilliant player make.

Its all excuses.

They play better without Benteke, he's adjusted his system thus.

Reading through the last couple of pages and the Klopp criticism ranges from incorrect to downright bizarre, a kind of rollercoater that has taken me from the highs of outbursts of laughter to the lonely wilderness of crazed confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I realise times have changed to the Ferguson era and I'm not saying Klopp will get 4 years, but he will certainly get at least 2 full seasons, not including this one. I was directly comparing him against Hodgson and Rodgers, who won nothing.

Simply put, Klopp is by far the best manager we could get and therefore, on the basis of that and his proven track record, will get more time than them to succeed. May or may not be 4 years but it will be a significant amount of time in this day and age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Sktrel, Lovren, Ings, Sturridge, Origi, Coutinho (our best player). So only the 3 strikers and 2 cbs and best player. Not that the cbs would have done any better than the lads who played (sakho is our best) but we started without a striker due to the fact all 3 are injured and Benteke doesn't suit our style of play. But yeah you're right. We've had no injury problems...

If thats true then it shows what a massive job he has had ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

FutureGuy wrote: »

Hashtag worried.

Bit of a ****ty comment that to be fair

niallo27 wrote: »
    Bit of a ****ty comment that to be fair

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Or Klopp will be given time because simply he's the best manager Liverpool could get. He hasn't even brought in any of his own players ffs.

And anyone who thinks we don't miss Coutinho doesn't watch very many Liverpool games. Theres a reason barca are monitoring him.

Somehow now I doubt Barca are monitoring him that closely!

I'd say Messi is dying to play with a midfielder who does very little apart from blaze the ball over from 30 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Exactly.

Its a nonsense argument.

Its all excuses.

I agree about changing your system to suit the players that you have. However i dont see Liverpool as having the other players to play a system to suit Benteke.

For me, Liverpool are rigid in the way they play and most are very similar to another (Firmino/Coutinho/Lallana for example) Even Milner's best time was playing as an advanced CM for Vilal in an area that Coutinho would occupy. Surely having a player or 2 to hug the touchline and take on a full back would be necessary in any squad.

The composition of Liverpool's squad is frightly poor really and lacks a balance. I dont believe United's is put together terribly better either tbh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hashtag worried.

You're one of the better posters on the forum...I thought you were being OTT for a laugh and I was doing the same. :)

No offence meant Niallo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

You're one of the better posters on the forum...I thought you were being OTT for a laugh and I was doing the same. :)

No offence meant Niallo :)

No worries man. I was half blazing last night. I don't like losing to utd I won't lie. I was a bit bitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Having read over the last few pages ... are people seriously thinking there's pressure on Klopp already ?... Seriously ... what-the-actual-fcuk ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Barca monitoring Coutinho is hilarious stuff, he has one good game out of ten that's hardly Barca material and he's 24 this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

In before the lock.

• Advertisement

Barca monitoring Coutinho is hilarious stuff, he has one good game out of ten that's hardly Barca material and he's 24 this year

Has somebody from Barcelona stated this? Where did it come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Barca are monitoring Coutinho in the same way that they're monitoring John Stones.

They're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Coutinho is good on his day but even I know he is nowhere near good enough for Barcelona yet.
    Maybe they are monitoring him, he still has a lot of potential and I could see La Liga suiting him better but he would be going there to sit on the bench for now.

In his defence though he needs a player making runs in behind for him to be effective. He links up brilliantly with Sturridge but when there is nothing to feed that intricate pass to he tries too hard to win the game himself and it results in wild shots of goals which usually don't come off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

monkey9 wrote: »
    In before the lock.

Rooney

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement