Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bayonet Light Fittings.

• 14-01-2016 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭

Hear they're phasing out the Bayonet light fitting so incandescent bulbs can't be used.Supposedly they're dangerous because you can touch both contacts.
    What is it with the humble bulb?Nearly everyone has these fittings,never heard of anyone being electrocuted by them. Recently There must be bigger interests at play?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's always the big issues with you kneemos.

The Kate Adie of boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's always the big issues with you kneemos.

The Kate Adie of boards

You'll be laughing when you have to change all you're light fittings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Here are the South Wales Light Fittings fixing bayonets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Who in the standards institutes decided to allow those stupid mini halogen bulbs that don't have fittings at all, just two tiny wires coming out of them? Totally insecure and dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Most people tend to have the light switch in the off position and the plastic surrounding the bulb housing while changing bulbs. This kind of stuff is why we have signs and fencing next to jet engines on ground boardings... If you want to walk into the jet engine be my guest. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd be more interested in where you heard this. I can find nothing on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I got shocked by a bayonet fitting before. Not bad, but enough to make me scream.

Ikea do adaptors for bayonet fixtures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

What next, phasing out round pin plugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Most people tend to have the light switch in the off position and the plastic surrounding the bulb housing while changing bulbs. This kind of stuff is why we have signs and fencing next to jet engines on ground boardings... If you want to walk into the jet engine be my guest. :D
    Balls to that. When I'm changing a bulb I leave it switched on so can I stick my finger in the socket to make sure it's live. Nothing worse than throwing away a perfectly good bulb thinking it's a dud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Time to switch to wifi power for every thing…

• Advertisement

I'd be more interested in where you heard this. I can find nothing on it.

The couple of links I have don't work,oddly . I'll have another look.
    I'd never lie to you in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

kneemos wrote: »
    Hear they're phasing out the Bayonet light fitting so incandescent bulbs can't be used.Supposedly they're dangerous because you can touch both contacts.
    What is it with the humble bulb?Nearly everyone has these fittings,never heard of anyone being electrocuted by them. Recently There must be bigger interests at play?

Sounds like a bright idea :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Well, you can still get plugs and sockets for the old BS 546 standard, which was replaced in 1947. So I'm not too worried about not being able to get bayonet lights any time soon. They might start phasing out the sockets for something safer, but who really cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Admins need to put an electric collar on Kneemos. Every time he starts a new thread, he gets a shock. Each time he starts a thread, the voltage will increase. The 'milgram' collar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd never lie to you in particular.

I never thought you would. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Who are "they" ??

Bayonet to Edison Screw adapters with metal threads are already banned.

To be as safe as bayonet Edison Screw fittings would have to only have plastic threads and the bulbs should only have metal at the tip with the rest of the thread being plastic.

ES bulbs also work themselves loose and you should re-tighten them every few months. So more exposing yourself to potential danger or even just potential.

Don't get me started at all the shops selling ES only for light fittings or ES bulbs. The only reason is because they might be slightly cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's a fcukin chore buying replacement bulbs these days. Large bayonet, small bayonet, large screw in, small screw in, mini screw in, etc, etc.

Back in the day it was one fitting - large bayonet from Solus and job done.

I've plenty of spare bulbs but none of them fit anything.

At least I'm saving on electricity with all those blown bulbs that haven't been replaced. Any day now I'll present at a hospital saying that I walked into a door (in the dark) and then the Gardaí will want to talk to the missus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I have noticed a massive push on screw type bulbs in the last few months :cool:

Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Woodies are all promoting screw type bulbs, and yet I cant find out any reason why, specially as most houses have bayonet type light fittings!

Has anyone got a link to "Bayonet type light fittings are being phased out" .... because I can't find any links.

I don't know what's going on in the shops, so maybe a massive ship load of screw type bulbs came into the country 'el cheapo' and they're trying to off load them onto an unsuspecting Irish public?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Did someone leave the safety gate on the K.O.Q.T open again?

LordSutch wrote: »
    I have noticed a massive push on screw type bulbs in the last few months :cool:

Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Woodies are all promoting screw type bulbs, and yet I cant find out any reason why, specially as most houses have bayonet type light fittings!

Has anyone got a link to "Bayonet type light fittings are being phased out" .... because I can't find any links.

I don't know what's going on in the shops, so maybe a massive ship load of screw type bulbs came into the country 'el cheapo' and they're trying to off load them onto an unsuspecting Irish public?

You can use them in a bayonet fitting with an adaptor,cost about a fiver I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Im lost here. If you stick your finger in a BC light fitting you'll get a wallop, stick your finger in an ES light fitting and you'll also get a wallop. Live and neutral are exposed on both, so why are we, apparently, only losing BC?

You can use them in a bayonet fitting with an adaptor,cost about a fiver I'd say.

Yeah I know that, but why would you go round all your light fittings with new adaptors at a fiver a pop? and anyway, who says bayonet bulbs are on the way out? > We're still waiting for somebody to put up a Link.

Interestingly, there is a new housing estate going up across the road from us in South Dublin, and all the light fittings are Bayonet type. I checked today as we viewed one of the houses!

So why is the Irish market being flooded with screw type bulbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Odd one out here, I prefer ES 14 and ES 27 bulb fittings. So much easier.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Yeah I know that, but why would you go round all your light fittings with new adaptors at a fiver a pop? and anyway, who says bayonet bulbs are on the way out? > We're still waiting for somebody to put up a Link.

Interestingly, there is a new housing estate going up across the road from us in South Dublin, and all the light fittings are Bayonet type. I checked today as we viewed one of the houses!

So why is the Irish market being flooded with screw type bulbs?

Noticed the screw caps alright.
    Given the fittings last forever anyway it may not be a pressing problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

Balls to that. When I'm changing a bulb I leave it switched on so can I stick my finger in the socket to make sure it's live. Nothing worse than throwing away a perfectly good bulb thinking it's a dud.

Oddly, there's a chap at work who does just that - he also tests for a spark on engines by sticking his finger into the plug lead and cranking the engine. I'd scream like a girl and writhe around if I did it, but he doesn't even flinch. I guess not all people are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gayestgooner

I agree

Noticed the screw caps alright.
    Given the fittings last forever anyway it may not be a pressing problem.

Any chance you can post a link to where they say bayonet fittings/bulbs are being phased out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

joeysoap wrote: »

The plastic holder can be a bitch for breaking on BC fittings but the contact for the live on an ES can be the same, much the same if you ask me, which you didn't so I'll shut up :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Those retailers are scum.
    Pure and simple. Just sell bayonet bulbs because they are fit for purpose.

Ikea do two plastic threaded adaptors for €1.50 or so.
    But that's just a stopgap that only needed because the retailers are gauging people.

In the old days there were 150Watt incandescent bulbs everywhere.
    Very few bulbs on sale today offer the same lumens without being extortionately priced compared to the 5W bayonet LED 330 Lumens for €1.49 from Dealz and they are far from being a charity.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Im lost here. If you stick your finger in a BC light fitting you'll get a wallop, stick your finger in an ES light fitting and you'll also get a wallop. Live and neutral are exposed on both, so why are we, apparently, only losing BC?
    You will only get a wallop if you stick you finger in all the way. And because the pins are so close together it's just the tip of your finger that gets zapped.

With a badly wired ES or cheap adaptor you get a wallop straight away and it's from your arm to earth at your feet passing by your heat.

Big difference.

ES is an abomination. Also a lot of car bulbs are bayonet because they don't work themselves loose like ES.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

joeysoap wrote: »

Somebody must have had a 'light-bulb moment' appear above their head when they thought of changing this around :rolleyes:

I found those bulbs above hard to find over christmas, no hardware or supermarket had them, although Supervalu had them for €8 :eek:

Got them in a giftshop of all places, as it has homeware stuff as well for €3

It's a good thing i kept the empty box, as i wouldn't have remembered the E no, as isn't the E 14 = Small Edison/ E27 Big Edison, as i just knew them first as screw-in bulbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Bring in the screw-ins. They have proved their worth in Bulmer's Quarts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Those retailers are scum.
    Pure and simple. Just sell bayonet bulbs because they are fit for purpose.

But that's just a stopgap that only needed because the retailers are gauging people.

In the old days there were 150Watt incandescent bulbs everywhere.
    Very few bulbs on sale today offer the same lumens without being extortionately priced compared to the 5W bayonet LED 330 Lumens for €1.49 from Dealz and they are far from being a charity.

Aldo were selling E14 candle ( with and without the bendy bit on top )like bulbs before Christmas for €3. As I had a fitting with one blown bulb I purchased one. Twice as bright as the remaining working bulbs, so I went back and bought two more. Light from them is very good compared to the original set which cost €6 each in a local lighting shop. I now have two spares, even if the light from them is s*ite, slow and low would be a good description.

You will only get a wallop if you stick you finger in all the way. And because the pins are so close together it's just the tip of your finger that gets zapped.

With a badly wired ES or cheap adaptor you get a wallop straight away and it's from your arm to earth at your feet passing by your heat.

Big difference.

ES is an abomination. Also a lot of car bulbs are bayonet because they don't work themselves loose like ES.

Create a short across live and neutral using your finger and you'll get more than a zap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yep. I got a few and switched most of my bulbs over to LED. Much better than the old energy saving bulbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

If there are no screw in bulbs then the 'how many kneemos's does it take to screw in a lightbulb' joke won't work.
    A: two...one to screw it in, another to post on boards about it.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Create a short across live and neutral using your finger and you'll get more than a zap.
    Given the choice I'd take that every single time compared to finger on live and feet on earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

ES bulbs also work themselves loose and you should re-tighten them every few months. So more exposing yourself to potential danger or even just potential.

We had one of those that would start flickering / stop working altogether every few months and re-tightening always got it going again. I think this went on for a few years, probably replacing the bulb a few times along the way until one day I was quietly sitting at the table with my laptop and an almighty bang emanated from that fitting and the inside of it was fried to a cinder. Blew the fuse, not sure if the builb was still working after

Advertisement