Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Student Visa

Options
  • 14-01-2016 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

Vague enough question (sorry).

Is there a visa available for an Irish student (18 years old) to study in the US part time at a city college or similar?

If I understand it correctly an F1 would tick the box but the course would have to be full time whereas an M1 would only be for technical/vocational courses?

I know there's the fees which can get tasty enough but that's a separate thing.

Ability to work isn't really needed (but obviously would be a nice bonus)

Does this sound about right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

How long is the course, and why is it part time?
    The way US college level courses work, you could probably pick up another few courses/ credits to make it full time. Working isn't going to happen either way, other than very limited on-campus work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

silja wrote: »
    How long is the course, and why is it part time?
    The way US college level courses work, you could probably pick up another few courses/ credits to make it full time. Working isn't going to happen either way, other than very limited on-campus work.

Thanks for the response Silja.

Just being doing more reading, limited on campus would be enough (it'd be more for sanity reasons rather than financial).

Course hasn't even been picked yet, doesn't really need to be part time I suppose, maybe just not something with a ton of hours.

Long story short, it's my cousin, toxic relationship with an abusive boyfriend and we're trying (her included) to get her as far away from him as possible.
    She was doing a business course in Dublin before he got involved so I'd imagine she'd want to do similar here.

It's all kind of high level right now and the whole thing might not even happen but I'm just trying to explore all the options.

Outside out the student visa all I can think of is coming out here for a few months, going home again for a while, rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yeah. Good thing is, if she has the funds, getting an F1 visa is not that difficult...
    Other options maybe Australia or Canada, get one of the Working Holiday visas there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

silja wrote: »
    Yeah. Good thing is, if she has the funds, getting an F1 visa is not that difficult...
    Other options maybe Australia or Canada, get one of the Working Holiday visas there.

Any ballpark idea on the costs for the F1?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Any ballpark idea on the costs for the F1?

Most of the information is here

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/study-exchange/student.html

Basically she has to be accepted by a designated college and they will give her an I-20. She fills in the DS-160 online, schedules an interview at the embassy and presents the I-20 as at the interview.

You have to pay a SEVIS fee and a fee for the visa itself. The SEVIS fee is $200, looks like the F1 costs $160, but college fees will probably be many multiples of this :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement