Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questionable infraction(s)

Options
  • 14-01-2016 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭

I received not one, but two infractions in the space of three minutes for what I feel were rather minor incidents/posts in the politics cafe.

this one in particular, I am absolutely baffled by.
    Load of codswallop.
    Yates, moments before was on about the importance of inclusiveness and leaving no-one, north or south out during the commemorations, there was even talks of an inscribed wall with a suggestion placing the names of all the dead, including British soldiers on it. (Stupid idea in my opinion)

He then went on to say "we lived on a small island of 4.5million" as far as I am aware, the island of Ireland has slightly more than 6m people living on it, but sure you keep on trying to out-unionist the unionists, may take the discussion away from FG and the vote rigging etc for a bit....

1/10 must try harder.

The post was in a reply to a discussion surrounding Ivan Yates comments about how many people lived in the island of Ireland.

I don't see any personal abuse, insults or anything else that would warrant a yellow, never mind a red.

Moderator in question gave me a yellow over a week ago and did not respond to either of the two pms I sent asking for clarification, a polite and apt move on my part, but one I am not willing to repeat due to being essentially snubbed the last time.

I would like to skip straight to a cmod or admin based on a lack of any interaction or input from the moderator in question.

Regards.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Hi Banjo String,

I will be looking into this for you. Please give me some time to look through the relevant threads, gather info, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Toots wrote: »
    Hi Banjo String,

I will be looking into this for you. Please give me some time to look through the relevant threads, gather info, etc.

Thank you Toots.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Hi Banjo String, I've looked into this and here's my take on it.

There was a clear mod warning in post 1798 on the FG Opinion Poll thread
    JT26 wrote: »
    Seems some of you continued the petty childish squabbling over here,no more mr nice guy any more pettiness,expect card and or bans from here on in.
    Following that you posted the response you mention above, which is pretty much exactly what the mod warning asked posters to stop doing.

So you got a red card for that. The reason it was a red, as opposed to a yellow is most likely due to the fact that your record in the Politics fora is very poor. In the Cafe alone, you've accumulated 6 warnings, 3 infractions, and 2 bans. To be honest, your posting style is often bordering on low-level trolling, and it's taking up a lot of moderator time. In fact this DRP has taken me about 2 hours to investigate, and that's a hell of a lot more time than any mod should have to be spending on one user.

If you're creating such a big workload for the Cafe mods on a regular basis, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the next mod action is a lengthy ban. The situation as it is, is untenable, and at some point something will have to change; either you change how you participate in the forum, or it'll end up that you're no longer allowed to post there.

Now regarding the PMs that went unanswered, the mod in question has forwarded them on to me. 'Threatening' a mod with a DRP thread, or otherwise trying to use it as a bargaining chip to lessen a mod sanction is something I take a dim view of. The DRP is not to be used as a stick to beat mods or users with. TBH if that were me, I'd have called your bluff, because that yellow was absolutely warranted, and all starting a DRP would have achieved was putting you on the CMod and Admin radar.

So in conclusion, I am upholding the red cards, and I strongly urge you to change your posting style in the Cafe. There were a few other users who were causing a similar amount of work for the mods, and they ended up with Category bans, and if you continue as you are, I'd say that's where you're headed also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Toots whilst I will take on board your advice, I absolutely reject any suggestion that I "threatened" anyone by pm. I stated quite clearly in my pm (which you have access to) why I didn't want to dispute the action in a drp.

A few hours later, my initial suspicions were confirmed.

Also, I am unsure what part of the post I was infracted for warranted the card? It was a legitimate response to one poster who replied to me, and another one who was implying I was letting "facts get in the way of a good rant". (Despite obviously not knowing what was being discussed).

Maybe if you could highlight the specific part of the post that ignored the warning, I could learn from it and move on. Because I honestly do not see where the red was warranted. (If debating an ill informed point is "pettiness/squabbling" I am at a complete and utter loss tbh.)

Lastly, I have been a poster here for over ten years, but this is the first time its been suggested I am bordering on "low level trolling."

Thanks for your feedback though, this can be marked as resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

...Lastly, I have been a poster here for over ten years, but this is the first time its been suggested I am bordering on "low level trolling."

Not quite true. More than a few of your 14 warnings & 6 infractions have been for trollish posts.

However, I shall mark this Resolved as requested.

tHB

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement