Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ribs- cured, bacon or pickled ?

Options
  • 14-01-2016 11:10pm

Looking to satisfy a craving from my youth.

Seems these are really an Irish thing. Any searching on the net brings up suggestions from Ireland, Liverpool and Manchester.

I've always known them as cured but it seems bacon and pickled are also terms used.

Any ideas where to get these in Sydney ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I've never found anywhere. The closest I've come to the taste/flavour is a ham hock. I usually get mine in Marrickville Metro in the butchers across from Woolworths.

pete4130 wrote: »
    I've never found anywhere. The closest I've come to the taste/flavour is a ham hock. I usually get mine in Marrickville Metro in the butchers across from Woolworths.

I've been pointed towards an Irish butcher in Bondi Junction. I've ordered some but he needs 3 days notice to prepare them so I won't really know til I get them on Monday or Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Do let us know how you got on....I might have to take a trip there myself...where abouts is he located in Bondi?

pete4130 wrote: »
    Do let us know how you got on....I might have to take a trip there myself...where abouts is he located in Bondi?

He's in the Eastgate opposite Coles. He seems like a really nice / helpful guy.

Just thought I'd give feedback on this.

Got a kilo. Cooked half and thought they were good but not as salty as I remembered.

Might be the way I cooked them - into a pot and covered with cold water. Brought to the boil. Emptied out all the water. Covered again in cold water and dumped that out too (without boiling). Then covered again in water and boiled for 2 hours.

I know you should dump the water the very first time you bring to boil but maybe 'washing' them again was not necessary.

I cooked the second half kilo identically except I added salt to the water for the 2 hour boil. This batch was exactly as I remember them. Lovely. Meat falling off the bone and nice and salty. Lovely stuff.

I'll be going back for more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 FaithNoMore

If you didn't change the water, would it taste as you remembered, I wonder? Sometimes we boil them for half an hour, then put in the oven for an hour. Trim the fat off, for crackling, and pour honey over for last half hour...

Advertisement