Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why all the screw bulbs?

Options
  • 14-01-2016 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

So what's going on in the shops, why the massive push towards screw type bulbs?

There is a thread already running in After Hours on this subject > >
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057549541

Would love to know what's going on.

Comments

Just to hazard a guess I'd say they're wholesale catering for European markets not just the islanders with their penchant to be different.
    It's not a safety thing you can stick a finger in an ESC fitting as easy as a BC.

Personally I find the BC a better fitting. It's much less likely to be half-in or untap or break the glass/plastic from the contacts during installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

The E27 (screw) fitting is used in most of the world, with the UK, Ireland and in a smaller way France and Greece being the exceptions using mostly the B22 connector. Funny fact, it's actually harder to find E27 lamp holders than to find the lightbulbs themselves.

Some apartments/houses have them fitted randomly - the place I am renting is a case - a big mix of B22,E27 and E14. Frankly doesn't make much difference if you ask me, there are adaptors if needed - Ikea sells 2 for 1.50 Euro.

Now, one thing that grinds my gear is that you can only find "warm white" lights here, which are in reality yellow and make about as much light as a wet candle.

Warm white is generally still nowhere near tungsten. Which in reality is yellow hence warmer and less harsh on the eyes so ideal for domestic applications imho.
    Also great for making the Irish look less pasty white.
    I'd spend the €1.50 on a new fitting, those adaptors don't inspire much confidence in me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Warm white is generally still nowhere near tungsten. Which in reality is yellow hence warmer and less harsh on the eyes so ideal for domestic applications imho.
    Also great for making the Irish look less pasty white.
    I'd spend the €1.50 on a new fitting, those adaptors don't inspire much confidence in me.

I think I'm right in saying that LED bulbs should be 2700 Kelvin in order to match "the warmth" of an incandescant bulb.

I'm still non the wiser why the shops are full of screw type bulbs, while mosts Irish households have bayonet light fittings, yeah I get the adaptor thing, but who wants to buy adaptors for all their light fittings :cool:

Well 2700°K is only half of it. CRI of 100 and R1 through R14 of 100 is the rest (you won't find it with anything but tungsten). You can get to 2700°K with excess green little red and little blue but it's not the same thing at all as full spectrum.

BC is a small market, you can appeal to China, I'm just going to downgrade my fittings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

...meaning you're going to install screw type fittings throughout?

Nah, I'm gonna keep the Irish work ethic and only change the ones that bother me. :D
    ie. living/dining room, kitchen's already GU10 ledified, 2 bedrooms and the workshop is going strip lights with a DC ring main.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

LordSutch wrote: »
    So what's going on in the shops, why the massive push towards screw type bulbs?

The answer as far as I'm concerned is IKEA. Pretty much all their lamps have ES fittings so that's why ES bulbs are now available everywhere - Tesco, Dunnes, pounds shops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

coylemj wrote: »
    The answer as far as I'm concerned is IKEA. Pretty much all their lamps have ES fittings so that's why ES bulbs are now available everywhere - Tesco, Dunnes, pounds shops etc.

As mentioned above they also have these little chaps @ 2 for €1.50

koppla-b22-to-e27-bulb-converter__0356098_pe547446_s4_zpscsqwzdqe.jpg

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/lighting/light-bulbs-accessories/koppla-b22-to-e27-bulb-converter-art-90295615/

Advertisement