Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panel wiring standards.(IRE)

Options
  • 15-01-2016 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

Howdy Folks, and happy new year.

Looking for a bit of information on Panel wiring colour standards if any? I am unable to find a whole lot in the reg's on certain voltages. So we have installed a few new control+power panels as per the plant spec, and now craft have an issue with the colours apparently,Different manufactures look to use different colours.

12v DC - We have usually used (+RED/-BLACK)?
    24v DC - (+RED/-BLACK) ?

12v AC - ?
    24v AC - ? I have seen White/blue used.

110v AC - ?

230v AC - (+Brown/-blue) for power and Orange for safety in control interlocks so on.
    400v AC - (Brown,Black,Grey) Blue.

Is 10mm² still ok to use to supply mcbs? should it not be 16mm² I was thinking?

Thanks. PS some of these panels are of a German origin.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of information on Panel wiring colour standards if any?

I asked this recently, due to the absence of an Irish standard we opted to use a BS standard. I will see if I can find it.
    I am unable to find a whole lot in the reg's on certain voltages.

Regulations such as what? Relating to segregation?
    So we have installed a few new control+power panels as per the plant spec, and now craft have an issue with the colours apparently,Different manufactures look to use different colours.

Generally we agree a global site standard. This is detailed in a panel specification document that we issue to panel builders. This would be issued as part of a tender package to the panel builders.
    12v DC - We have usually used (+RED/-BLACK)?
    24v DC - (+RED/-BLACK) ?

Yes, that is what we use.
    12v AC - ?
    24v AC - ? I have seen White/blue used.
    110v AC - ?

Can't remember, will try to find out.

As far as I recall you can use any colour you like within the panel, but it is good practice to align with a BS or EU standard.
    230v AC - (+Brown/-blue) for power
    400v AC - (Brown,Black,Grey) Blue.

Yes, that is what we use.
    Is 10mm² still ok to use to supply mcbs? should it not be 16mm² I was thinking?

It is very normal to use 10mmsq. The size can be reduced further depending on the size / rating of the upstream device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I suppose it depends who your building the panels for. In ESB all our substation protection panels are Green for voltage (all voltages from 24v DC to 400v AC) even if there is a mix of voltages in the panels it's still all green. And Blue for current wiring (CT secondaries etc). Keeps it interesting when your fault finding lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

EN 60204 is current.. I'll dig out the summary and post it.

Edit - that's for machinery, which is what I know about.

Edit 2:

BN / BK / GY = AC
    Light BU = N
    GN/YE = PE
    Dark BU = DC controls, doesn't differentiate between +/- lines.
    OG = external voltage (not isolated when panel main switch is off)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

See attached cheat sheet, hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Hi lads, well after a week of contacting various panel builders and so on, it looks like there is no standard for colours in Irish panels only "normal practice"

Thanks 2011,

It's a 63amp MCB up stream so the 10mm² should be good? I was just worried it might be a little small for an Industrial panel, the builders have stated this is fine and normally done, short links as you stated.

I have had a look of the English standards myself but I was only able to find info on various forum's and some look to differ. If you have a link I'd very much appreciative it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Thanks stoner,

I'll hold on to those also for my own personal stash ha.

It looks like the UK standards are they way to go in some respects.

Advertisement