Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to drink in Dublin

Options
  • 15-01-2016 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Going down to Dublin for a weekend with a few girls and was wanting to know where to drink we r looking a good Chucky rebel nite some where u can let ur hair dwn and sing up the ra

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Dublin City forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Google 'dodgy pubs in Dublin' and you'll probably find some places you'll like...

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Donna1916 wrote: »
    we r looking a good Chucky rebel nite some where u can let ur hair dwn and sing up the ra

I think I've found one of the Rubberbandits on Boards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

What you really want is a time machine to bring you back to the 70s. There's (thankfully) precious few of that class of pub still in operation

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

You could try the Celt on Talbot Street they usually have balad sessions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

MY BASEMENT

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The Celt is usually jam packed full of Yanks and Italians from the nearby hotels and b&'s. They do have trad nights, but they don't have an Up The 'Ra vibe to them, thank Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Darkey Kelly's on Fishamble street would do the trick. Complete with raffles for various republican stuff, like a bodhran with a painting of Daniel O'Connell on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

The Cobblestone sounds like what you are looking for OP. It is in Smithfield

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

newacc2015 wrote: »

You definitely won't hear Up the Ra songs at The Cobblestone. It's a trad pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Try Cassidys on Camden Street tis mad in there

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

cactusgal wrote: »
    You definitely won't hear Up the Ra songs at The Cobblestone. It's a trad pub.

Totally... great pub too...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Donna1916

Who's killing for sport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Darkey Kelly's on Fishamble street would do the trick. Complete with raffles for various republican stuff, like a bodhran with a painting of Daniel O'Connell on it.

^^^ This, although its not as hardcore rebel stuff as was back when Martin Mahon and the Darkie Kelly's boys sang there, but you'll still get a fair bit of rebel stuff.
    newacc2015 wrote: »

^^^ Defo NOT this place.. Although I do love it here its defo not rebel song stuff.

Pubs, esp pubs like Darky's (named after a whore who plied her trade on Fishamble St.. And believe it or not the hotel reception has a public right of way through the front door and out in into the court yard, there's a glass floor over the old street so you can still see the old cobbles!.

Sorry I got off what I was going to say.. Pubs which are part of a hotel have to be careful with rebel music as a bad review on tripadvisor can cost the business a lot of money, so sadly much of the stuff is toned down for visitors (and whingers)

But if you visit Darkys ask the band members (Sunday is best) where you'll find the hard core stuff and they'll throw out a few little gems for you.

I fecking love a good hardcore, old school rebel session.

Good God, when Martin Mahon played in Darkys he's sing 'The Ballad of Joe McDonald' which would bring a tear to a glass eye.

Thanks makikomi I'll defo check this place out , excited for a nice weekend in the capital , can u tell me is this in the city centre ?
    Lots of people I've been talkin to say to head into Ballybough for a good nite?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Would anyone have any suggestions on a bar near to Westmoreland street (bus home!) for 2 ladies in their late 20s? Good music, and reasonably priced beer! (Was in a place recently that charged €6 for a bottle of Sol so want to avoid that again!)

Would anyone have any suggestions on a bar near to Westmoreland street (bus home!) for 2 ladies in their late 20s? Good music, and reasonably priced beer! (Was in a place recently that charged €6 for a bottle of Sol so want to avoid that again!)

Try Sweetmans around the corner on the quays. I like it personally!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

O'Connell's Bar on Bachelors Walk has a good atmosphere and is cheaper than other bars in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Donoghues is the best pub in dublin.
    You can sing till the cows come home

What type of music in donohoes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

All irish. That's where the dubliners sang and drank during there time.

Even sang a few songs in there myself

Happy days is that in the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

All irish. That's where the dubliners sang and drank during there time.

Even sang a few songs in there myself

There's no 'rebel' songs played in there which is what the o.p. specifically asked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Donna1916 wrote: »
    Thanks makikomi I'll defo check this place out , excited for a nice weekend in the capital , can u tell me is this in the city centre ?
    Lots of people I've been talkin to say to head into Ballybough for a good nite?

Ballybough? Either you're taking the piss, or people are taking the piss out of you. :rolleyes:

Advertisement