Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agar Agar

Options
  • 15-01-2016 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys, Looking to make some cheese. Only new to the vegan thing and the two things I'll miss the most are cheese and eggs. I've found loads of vegan cheese recipes but I need some agar agar powder... Anybody know where I can get some near dundrum or Maynooth? Or a suitable substitute that is readily available in supermarkets? cornflower perhaps?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Cornflowers not really a good substitute for agar agar. Normally health shops sell it (theres a Clearspring Brand). You could substitute with Carrageenan powder but that may be equally hard to get and gives a different texture.

Agar makes excellent 'Jelly' too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

You can get some in the health food shop in avoca.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Success, I had mailed the the health store in dundrum... They have the flaked variety so Ill just grind that for the powder. I will update on my garlic and herb cheese when I make it... Oh so excited to make it all.

I have my first Vegan dinner party on Sunday and I'm only new to it all as I say but I am really looking forward to the challenge I have a few meat eaters coming along so I'll say nothing and see if they like it!

Thanks again for suggestions and tips.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You should be able to find some vegetarian rennet* in health food shops too - I bought one a while back called VegeRen, and as far as I can remember there wasn't any need for agar agar with it.

Also, I've used agar agar for other things before, and to be honest there's no need to grind it into a powder - it's necessary to let it simmer with some liquid for at least 2 or 3 minutes to get 'activated' properly, and it does dissolve very easily once it's been boiled. If you don't boil it it'll have a very rough, sandy consistency and won't set well.

Good luck!

New Home wrote: »
    You should be able to find some vegetarian rennet* in health food shops too - I bought one a while back called VegeRen, and as far as I can remember there wasn't any need for agar agar with it.

Also, I've used agar agar for other things before, and to be honest there's no need to grind it into a powder - it's necessary to let it simmer with some liquid for at least 2 or 3 minutes to get 'activated' properly, and it does dissolve very easily once it's been boiled. If you don't boil it it'll have a very rough, sandy consistency and won't set well.

Good luck!

Thanks New home, I don't think I did it 100% correctly as I have more of a cream cheese. I was hoping for more of a cheddar type consistency. I'll know better for next time out. It still tastes amazing and I'm going to use it on pizza too so should be fine. Made some vegan cheesecakes and prep for a queso dip and pizza for tomorrow. I'll fill you all in after the meal...

• Advertisement

AF1QipMkLeOOCbbBxqfBy-BvrFSGkwvDgxn4TuV3QcaI

Made everything here bar the salami and chirozo all vegan. Super tasty!!

AF1QipOyWNipKWNz0MCdKrk-e911NzjKYP0WFVNKOcVm

Fresh made tortillas which I made a quesadilla tower out of using fresh made queso AF1QipPmePeN4iqbaVDJD2SWY5HDmGf8Pqeu33if-df6 and fresh made salsa AF1QipOw9ptj7DMD9u-1Zpl8_hIXBrc3z7UPpf32TG4j Spicy of course! This is possibly one of the nicest things I have ever tasted. Soooooooooo good, the queso is Amazing.

and to finish!

Vegan cheese cake,

AF1QipMe-rrX7zmzwEW23Vl1_YjsZLSPSOtvw5mHAnTX Vegan mini cheese cakes! Only down side here was I couldn't get hold of vegan Ice cream :( So I had to go for a dairy variety... Says on the tesco website they have dairy free ice cream but I nor the staff onsite could find any :(. I'll n=know better for next time and maybe make my own.

I am going to adapt the queso recipe and try to make a firm cheese out of it as it was soooooo tasty.

Oh I loved the queso, can you tell?

Grrrrrrr images wont embed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

ElKavo wrote: »
    AF1QipMkLeOOCbbBxqfBy-BvrFSGkwvDgxn4TuV3QcaI

Made everything here bar the salami and chirozo all vegan. Super tasty!!

AF1QipOyWNipKWNz0MCdKrk-e911NzjKYP0WFVNKOcVmFresh made tortillas which I made a quesadilla tower out of using fresh made queso AF1QipPmePeN4iqbaVDJD2SWY5HDmGf8Pqeu33if-df6 and fresh made salsa AF1QipOw9ptj7DMD9u-1Zpl8_hIXBrc3z7UPpf32TG4j Spicy of course! This is possibly one of the nicest things I have ever tasted. Soooooooooo good, the queso is Amazing.

and to finish!

AF1QipMe-rrX7zmzwEW23Vl1_YjsZLSPSOtvw5mHAnTX Vegan mini cheese cakes! Only down side here was I couldn't get hold of vegan Ice cream :( So I had to go for a dairy variety... Says on the tesco website they have dairy free ice cream but I nor the staff onsite could find any :(. I'll n=know better for next time and maybe make my own.

I am going to adapt the queso recipe and try to make a firm cheese out of it as it was soooooo tasty.

Oh I loved the queso, can you tell?

Vegan cheese cake,

Hi ElKavo, congratulations, sounds like a great success!

Unfortunately the link you posted doesn't work (I get a 404 error), could you post it again, please? I'm curious, now. Also, could you post the recipe for that cheese you made, please?

Thanks! :)

Ok I had to attach them so. Here is the recepie for the queso and the cheesecakes!

http://minimalistbaker.com/7-ingredient-vegan-cheesecakes/ Cheesecake.

http://minimalistbaker.com/cashew-less-vegan-queso/ Queso

Advertisement