Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe place to hike in snow with teenagers (Kerry)

Options
  • 15-01-2016 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Where would be a SAFE place in Kerry to climb with teenagers to see snow at weekend . Have good hiking gear .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The western side of Brandon is pretty safe, there's the pilgrims track up
    Dunno about anywhere in the Reeks. Depends on how much snow there is.

Wouldn't say any place is safe. Particularly as no idea how good the teenagers are...good gear is far less important than good experience. A white out in the higher slopes here is literally that that, everything white, no way of telling direction as can only see a few metres etc.

I would say Mangerton is popular in snow, is easy enough to access the car park at the bottom, has a good trail up, will probably have a a few people around, and less exposed than other peaks. The flat and featureless summit means good drifts can build up. On the other hand, because the summit is flat and featureless once you move away from the Devil's Punchbowl the ability to use a compass is a must in sleet or snow. You could walk to the lake at the Devil's Punchbowl (do not think of testing the ice, I have seen clowns go way out in it) and then decide if they have the ability to go further.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 solataire

Wouldn't say any place is safe. Particularly as no idea how good the teenagers are...good gear is far less important than good experience. A white out in the higher slopes here is literally that that, everything white, no way of telling direction as can only see a few metres etc.

I would say Mangerton is popular in snow, is easy enough to access the car park at the bottom, has a good trail up, will probably have a a few people around, and less exposed than other peaks. The flat and featureless summit means good drifts can build up. On the other hand, because the summit is flat and featureless once you move away from the Devil's Punchbowl the ability to use a compass is a must in sleet or snow. You could walk to the lake at the Devil's Punchbowl (do not think of testing the ice, I have seen clowns go way out in it) and then decide if they have the ability to go further.

Thanks where is best place to park for mangerton ?

solataire wrote: »
    Thanks where is best place to park for mangerton ?

Drive out the Muckross Road and take the left just after the Muckross Park Hotel, go up that road about a mile, maybe less and take the road to the right, and head in there another mile or so. There's a car park there.

Advertisement