Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT

Options
  • 15-01-2016 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all

A fella a work was telling me that there might be a less expensive way to pay vrt on a car by doing this
    1 Buy UK reg car
    2 Pay vrt and get plate number and log book
    3 bring it back to the uk and re-register it there for £50 around
    4 apply for refund from revenue for vrt paid on car since its back in uk
    5 get refund
    6 re-register car back in ireland for around €100

obviously you will have to have a uk address as well as an irish address but does anyone know if this actually works?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd imagine those cars that received the VRT refund would be flagged on the Revenue system. Currently if you qualify for VRT exemption you can't sell the car for a year without having to pay the VRT and this is speficied in the log book, I'd say VRT export refund is the same for reimportation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No, the guy in the work wasnt on a pub stool when he was telling you this was he ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

We run the gas off the electricity and the electricity off the gas and we save two hundred pounds a year :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i know someone who thought they were buying an irish car that whad been exported and would only have to re reg it
    unfortunately the vrt rebate system had just started and they didn't know so they had bought a car that had been vrt rebated and then he had to pay the full vrt again

• Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Tigger wrote: »
    i know someone who thought they were buying an irish car that whad been exported and would only have to re reg it
    unfortunately the vrt rebate system had just started and they didn't know so they had bought a car that had been vrt rebated and then he had to pay the full vrt again

Did they buy the car blind and not see the log book?

I suppose someone could get a duplicate log book, export the car, claim the VRT refund, reimport the car, place original Irish plates and then sell with duplicate log book. Buyer wouldn't know there was an issue until they went to tax it. Nice scam for someone to run in little old Ireland.

• Advertisement

Did they buy the car blind and not see the log book?

I suppose someone could get a duplicate log book, export the car, claim the VRT refund, reimport the car, place original Irish plates and then sell with duplicate log book. Buyer wouldn't know there was an issue until they went to tax it. Nice scam for someone to run in little old Ireland.
    no they bought it off a NI dealer sorry i wasn't clear
    yellow plates and one of those sheets you get when you buy a car in the north
    yer man told him it had previously been irish and said nothing about it being vrft free but an assumption was made

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

Only if you stay in the uk for 6 months+

They know the car has had VRT refunded and it would be due again.
    I brought mine into the UK, got a vrt refund then brought it back - but was outside the uk for more than 6 months so got the exemption.

td2008 wrote: »
    Only if you stay in the uk for 6 months+

They know the car has had VRT refunded and it would be due again.
    I brought mine into the UK, got a vrt refund then brought it back - but was outside the uk for more than 6 months so got the exemption.

thats cool if you bought something really dear and price stable the vrt could pay for a 6 month holiday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement