Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprenticeship in Canada?

• 15-01-2016 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi there, i am hoping to do an electrical apprenticeship but doesn't seem to be much chance of getting one here in Ireland and was just wondering is it possible to do it in Canada as I've heard there's plenty of work going on over there. Wouldn't mind where id have to live. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭alexsmith

Sackamano wrote: »
    Hi there, i am hoping to do an electrical apprenticeship but doesn't seem to be much chance of getting one here in Ireland and was just wondering is it possible to do it in Canada as I've heard there's plenty of work going on over there. Wouldn't mind where id have to live. Thanks

yeah you can but youll have to get permanent residency first before schooling. So you youd have to work on a first year wage for 2 years and then hopefully get residency (its hard).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

And you won't get permanent residence without having a qualification that's in demand. Anyway, to be honest the Canadian economy's heading down the toilet right now.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭alexsmith

el diablo wrote: »
    And you won't get permanent residence without having a qualification that's in demand. Anyway, to be honest the Canadian economy's heading down the toilet right now.

well in Alberta anyway, I'm not sure exactly about the other provinces. But yeah, the overall vibe over here economy wise has turned sour since last year. Theyre predicting even worse things for 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sackamano

yeah just something i was thinking about but dosent seem to be as good as it was. Its hard to know what to do really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

yeah just something i was thinking about but dosent seem to be as good as it was. Its hard to know what to do really.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to get better here any time soon with this new Liberal government and the NDP government here in Alberta. Both are massively out of their depth.

So is it really that difficult to start an electrical apprenticeship in Ireland these days? I thought the economy was somewhat on the mend.

You might find more info on apprenticeships in Ireland (or elsewhere) if you post in this section.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1018

Good luck.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Sackamano

Yeah its not great yet, maybe in Dublin or the big cities you could but im from Mayo so its very quiet around here. Thanks gonna check that out and just hope for the best i suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yeah its not great yet, maybe in Dublin or the big cities you could but im from Mayo so its very quiet around here. Thanks gonna check that out and just hope for the best i suppose.

If you want to secure an apprenticeship, surely it'd be easier to move down the road to 'Dublin or the big cities' than fly to Canada, secure employment, pay your way at an unqualified rate, find a company willing to take you on as an apprentice after two years....

Do you see where I'm going with this...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

el diablo wrote: »

Not true. The basis on which a candidate would gain PR is not specific to qualification or profession. Since January 2015 PR applications go through the Express Entry route, which is a points based system in which the applicant get points for level of education, ie. third level education in a recognized institute; language capability, age, and work experience in ANY chosen profession in which the applicant wishes to gain points for. Points are also awarded for a nomination or a sponsorship from a province in Canada.

Recently Vancouver had somewhere in the region of a <6% unemployment rate.

Advertisement