Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rights taking over a lease

Options
  • 15-01-2016 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

As the title suggests I'm considering taking over a lease of a house. There are three people leaving in the house and only one of us is on the lease. Myself and another tenant are not on any lease and are subletting.

I wish to take over the lease with a couple of trusted friends and am wondering how much notice I need to give the other person who sublets.

This person has lived at the property less than six months, has paid no deposit and generally is a pain in the ass with regards living with/paying bills and rent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You'd need permission from the landlord to take over the lease. I'm assuming the third tenant who is on the lease at the moment is intending to leave? Have them bring it up with the landlord.

Subletters in this instance have as much rights as a licencee, that is barely any. The tenant proper can kick them out with very little notice, usually advised as "reasonable notice" which many here have interpreted as the same length of time as their payment period, e.g. one month for monthly rent dues.

Advertisement