Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-install Windows after 10 upgrade

Options
  • 15-01-2016 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭

My home desktop came with Windows 7. I have the pc a good few years and haven't done a re-install since I got it. It's getting a bit sluggish so I want to perform a fresh windows install and wipe everything. The only thing is I've since upgraded to Windows 10.
    I have the Windows 7 CD, can I install this and then upgrade to windows 10 again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Great guide on doing exactly what you need here

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Just perform a reset from within Windows 10. By far the most painless method.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Yes you can. I have reformatted dozens of computers and they are still being offered the upgrade. As long as the version of Windows is licensed you can get a free upgrade.

Personally I would avoid it like the plague for the time being but the option is there for you if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2960692/windows/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-go-back-to-windows-7-or-8.h

The keys for your previous operating should either be on a sticker on the back of your PC (under the battery if you’re on a laptop), or included with the system discs that came with your PC.

Once you’ve got all of that organized, it’s time to get with the rollback. Open the Start menu, select the Settings app, and go to Update & Security > Recovery.

windows 10 rollback
    If you're eligible to downgrade you should see an option that says Go back to Windows 8.1 or Go back to Windows 7. If you see it, click Get started and follow along with the wizard.

Once you’ve returned to your previous version of Windows, you need to tinker with it to perfect your setup once again. Older programs may need to be reinstalled, and if you had a different password on the older system than you did with Windows 10, you’ll have to sign-in with that one.

Getting to this tutorial after the 30-day grace period has passed? If you need to downgrade to your past operating system and Windows 10's rollback option is gone, you’ll either need recovery discs generated from your original Windows 7 or 8 machine to do a clean install of your old system, or have a system image backup stashed somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Jay D wrote: »
    Personally I would avoid it like the plague for the time being but the option is there for you if you want.

For what reason?

You download windows 7 and reinstall it ,if you have a license cd ,
    your pc should run a bit faster than before .
    ur install from the cd.
    I,m not sure if theres any advantage to windows 10 vs win7 ,unless you want to use
    the app store ,
    windows 10 may be more secure ,and slightly faster than windows 7.
    At some point windows 7 support at least for single non corporate users will stop .
    You can get the free ugrade at for another 6 months approx
    I think win 10 has problems in that it sends so much data to microsoft,
    browsing data,email info,
    far more than windows 7 or vista .
    linux mint is free to download, faster than windows, more secure ,sends zero data to microsoft ,
    unless you choose to use ms email ,or cloud storage service,s from the os.
    The chance,s of getting a virus using linux is very small compared with using win10 or windows 7 .
    Allmost any program for windows 10 runs on win7 apart from the metro tablet style apps .

i understand for NEW tablets, New pc,s , touchscreen devices windows 10 is better than windows 7

i presume he means windows 7 runs perfectly on your laptop,

why install win10 withs its various privacy user data issues .
    Your laptop without a touch sensitive screen wont be able to use the metro apps to full effect .

riclad wrote: »
    You download windows 7 and reinstall it ,if you have a license cd ,
    your pc should run a bit faster than before .
    ur install from the cd.
    I,m not sure if theres any advantage to windows 10 vs win7 ,unless you want to use
    the app store ,
    windows 10 may be more secure ,and slightly faster than windows 7.
    At some point windows 7 support at least for single non corporate users will stop .
    You can get the free ugrade at for another 6 months approx
    I think win 10 has problems in that it sends so much data to microsoft,
    browsing data,email info,

far more than windows 7 or vista .
    linux mint is free to download, faster than windows, more secure ,sends zero data to microsoft ,
    unless you choose to use ms email ,or cloud storage service,s from the os.
    The chance,s of getting a virus using linux is very small compared with using win10 or windows 7 .
    Allmost any program for windows 10 runs on win7 apart from the metro tablet style apps .

i understand for NEW tablets, New pc,s , touchscreen devices windows 10 is better than windows 7

i presume he means windows 7 runs perfectly on your laptop,

why install win10 withs its various privacy user data issues .
    Your laptop without a touch sensitive screen wont be able to use the metro apps to full effect .

People have completely blown this out of proportion. It's not browsing data or emails - it's basic telemetry. The same telemetry that pretty much any application out there reports back so the developers can see what buttons are being clicked so they can improve the product.
    Not to mention that all this telemetry gathering has been retroactively applied to Windows 7 and 8 through updates since Windows 10 was released.

If you're that worried about being tracked, maybe start with your smartphone.

Back on topic, why are people still talking about re-installing 7 and re-upgrading. Automatic reinstall functionality is built into Windows 10 via the reset feature!

SO if you install windows 10 ,
    and uninstall it today and install windows 7 ,can you reinstall it in 9 months time free .?

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/#gref

i understand you can reduce the data sent to ms by not using cortana and by changing some settings in privacy ,etc

Windows data syncing by default
    Sign into Windows with your Microsoft account and the operating system immediately syncs settings and data to the company’s servers. That includes your browser history, favorites and the websites you currently have open as well as saved app, website and mobile hotspot passwords and Wi-Fi network names and passwords.

You can deactivate that by hopping into the settings of Windows, but I’d argue that it should be Opt-in rather than On by Default. Many users won’t get round to turning it off, even though they would probably want to.

MOST users will never even look at the privacy settings ,

so default mode is send lots of data to ms,

i dont regard this as mere telemetry ,

favorites and the websites you currently have open as well as saved app, website and mobile hotspot passwords and Wi-Fi network names and passwords.

Why should ms need to know everyone ,s wifi password .?

i know theres wifi sharing ,
    if you happen to meet one person who has a windows 10 tablet ,or
    a windows phone .

Most users do not change settings unless someone tells them to do so .
    95 per cent of people i know have an android phone or an iphone .
    or else a nokia dumb phone from 2009.

SO if you install windows 10 ,
    and uninstall it today and install windows 7 ,can you reinstall it in 9 months time free .?

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/#gref

i understand you can reduce the data sent to ms by not using cortana and by changing some settings in privacy ,etc

Windows data syncing by default
    Sign into Windows with your Microsoft account and the operating system immediately syncs settings and data to the company’s servers. That includes your browser history, favorites and the websites you currently have open as well as saved app, website and mobile hotspot passwords and Wi-Fi network names and passwords.

You can deactivate that by hopping into the settings of Windows, but I’d argue that it should be Opt-in rather than On by Default. Many users won’t get round to turning it off, even though they would probably want to.

MOST users will never even look at the privacy settings ,

so default mode is send lots of data to ms,

i dont regard this as mere telemetry ,

favorites and the websites you currently have open as well as saved app, website and mobile hotspot passwords and Wi-Fi network names and passwords.

a windows phone .

You're muddling the waters here by mixing in data syncing, which is basically just an extension of OneDrive. It's basic cloud storage, not spying.
    If you don't sign in with a Microsoft account (I don't), nothing but basic telemetry is transmitted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

a windows phone .

Please stick to the topic. This is not a topic about Windows and privacy concerns.
    It should also be noted all versions of Windows since Windows 2000 activate against MS servers to verify product keys outside of corporate enviornments, this is not a new thing.

Nick

Advertisement