Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First PC build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Power supply does not need to be rated for 750Watts, 500 is plenty for the current build and 550W should be fine for future proofing.

Everything is compatible, Skylake / DDR4 still seems to be quite expensive and buying an older model is likely still far better value for money even if you need to upgrade in 3 years time. Depending on how many games you play and if you have a lot of files you regularly download you might find yourself running out of space on the 1TB pretty quickly so a new HDD wouldn't be a bad choice.

Case really comes down to preference and anything that fits an ATX motherboard should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Its cheaper to buy from the French or German amazon to save on the sterling conversion rates. Or with a bit more work put the parts into www.skinflint.co.uk, select German options, then click the link to MindFactory etc for a referral discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

tadcan wrote: »
    Its cheaper to buy from the French or German amazon to save on the sterling conversion rates.

Not always true.

curiua.com tells you which amazon site is cheapest to buy from. It's worth the effort of sticking each part in to check prices and buy from the various amazons, could end up saving a decent amount for a full build.

Like the motherboard in the OP is ~€10 cheaper from .fr - but for the i5 and RAM, .es and .de respectively are cheapest by only about €1. But if you need to pay shipping from those, but have free shipping from .co.uk, then the UK site makes much more sense.

Personally I'd go with the M.2 drive. The fact it's cheaper and supports theoretically a much higher transfer speed... and it means less cables and a cleaner build overall... no brainer imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Core i5 6400 €180
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO €30
    Gigabyte Z170 HD3P Mobo €120
    AMD R9 390 Sapphire Nitro €340
    Be Quite Pure Power 8 600W €75
    8GB DDR4 2400MHz €50
    Crucial BX200 240GB SSD €65
    1 TB HDD €45

This is a comparable build to what you have above. You get the same storage SSD wise, an added HDD for storage, a superior R9 390 by Sapphire, and a 600W Silver PSU.
    Now, you're probably wondering why I downgraded your CPU. That's because Skylake CPUs can be BCLK OCed to reach very high clocks. There are many reports of the 6400 hitting 4.3 GHz this method ON AIR. A Z170 board is needed, which is fine IMO.

Advertisement