Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Window not going up completely with wind deflectors

Options
  • 15-01-2016 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

i hope this is the correct forum for this.

ok so i bought myself front wind deflectors for my 2003 nissan micra, 5-door.

while they fit perfectly, i found that with them installed, i cant complete close the windows anymore on both sides. they get stuck a couple centimeters before the top of the door.

now i knew that the electric windows were somewhat weak, depending on weather condition it gets really really slow when winding them down at the last quarter. so much i never had them at the lowest lever ever, fearing they could get stuck and wouldnt come up again. it also makes all kind of grinding type or noises when they are down a lot.

what could that be? since they are moving in both directions in general, i suppose there isnt anything major broken, maybe they are rusted up, dried or a screw is loose or something? now i cant and dont want to open up the door myself, i'd rather have that done somewhere. maybe they just need an internal cleaning and to be greased up?

is there a place someone could recommend in cork city where i can have the doors be looked at, at a reasonable price? and if someone has experience with such a job, how much does that cost approximately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

if they are the Heko style ones, i think one of the recommendations is that you apply a small bit of grease or even vaseline to the area of the deflector that the glass will be in contact with, so during the first few uses that wont happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Simple Fix, take them off. Wind deflectors have no use on a car. Unless your doing rally stages and need to keep the wet out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

mightn't be the best solution for the OP though, because they just bought them because they wanted to put them on :P

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

listermint wrote: »
    Simple Fix, take them off. Wind deflectors have no use on a car. Unless your doing rally stages and need to keep the wet out.

well.

they are necessary since i need to keep the window open a little bit, otherwise the inside gets wet when i get in my car after a work day. but when they are open and its raining... well yeah. wind deflectors are the way to go for me.

btw i just remembered that i have wd40 at home.

can i spray that in the gaps that the window slides up and down? i dont wanna destroy anything, and i dont know if there is anything in there, like gum or so, that may be damaged by the wd40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

murfilein wrote: »
    btw i just remembered that i have wd40 at home.

can i spray that in the gaps that the window slides up and down? i dont wanna destroy anything, and i dont know if there is anything in there, like gum or so, that may be damaged by the wd40.

Do not put wd40 on them. You'll damage the window seals if you do. The best option is to take the wind deflectors off and get the proper ones that fit on the outside of the door frame, which will be away from the moving window and won't end up breaking anything.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Do not put wd40 on them. You'll damage the window seals if you do. The best option is to take the wind deflectors off and get the proper ones that fit on the outside of the door frame, which will be away from the moving window and won't end up breaking anything.

where do i get those? i bought the deflectors from micksgarage.com, they only had these "internal" ones.

where do i get those? i bought the deflectors from micksgarage.com, they only had these "internal" ones.

The main dealers or eBay should have them. Or if you can find a Japanese import Micra at a breakers it might have them.(could be difficult to find secondhand though)

The main dealers

excuse the stupid question, but who would that be? not too familiar regarding this...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nissan main dealers, like winsor

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nissan main dealers, like winsor

oh ok thats what he meant. i thought there are like some main parts-dealer he was referring to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

OEM are definately best when it comes to wind deflectors.
    The internal type are just troublesome in my experience.
    Any proper ones have the 3m VHB tape and stick to the outside of the window channel. maybe look for a roll of that stuff and clean the door thoroughly and stick them on externally?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    OEM are definately best when it comes to wind deflectors.
    The internal type are just troublesome in my experience.
    Any proper ones have the 3m VHB tape and stick to the outside of the window channel. maybe look for a roll of that stuff and clean the door thoroughly and stick them on externally?

will definitely have a look at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

Did you use the clips that came with them?

I installed a set on my Fiesta and 1 of the clips was slowing the window..... Just removed it, Over 1k miles later they havn't moved. (Only 1 clip holding them on!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

listermint wrote: »

Arse, I have them on my car now and previous car. They are great for letting air flow around the car without get soaked or blown out of it. I know smokers who find them great as well to pull the smoke out of the car.

OP, make sure they are fitted into the window frame properly, as said try a small bit of vaseline to help reduce friction on the window glass.

just an update, got myself a can of silicone spray. btw **** it, bought it from woodies for 10 euro because no other store had these. what happens a couple days later? bloody lidl has bottles for 1.50. FML

anyway, i cleaned the grooves where the glass goes in and put the spray in, and guess what, not its working fine!

one thing the manual (well, was print on the box) didnt mention was that one corner on the front needs to be tucked outside of the door for the deflector to be tight and snug. kinda obvious, but a couple times when i put the window down the deflector was falling inside the door, which got me thinking :D

just an update, got myself a can of silicone spray. btw **** it, bought it from woodies for 10 euro because no other store had these. what happens a couple days later? bloody lidl has bottles for 1.50. FML

anyway, i cleaned the grooves where the glass goes in and put the spray in, and guess what, now its working fine!

one thing the manual (well, was print on the box) didnt mention was that one corner on the front needs to be tucked outside of the door for the deflector to be tight and snug. kinda obvious, but a couple times when i put the window down the deflector was falling inside the door, which got me thinking :D

anyway, i cleaned the grooves where the glass goes in and put the spray in, and guess what, now its working fine!

Silicone spray is perfect for windows but you might find that you'll need to put silicone spray on the seals again after a few months.

Arse, I have them on my car now and previous car. They are great for letting air flow around the car without get soaked or blown out of it. I know smokers who find them great as well to pull the smoke out of the car.

OP, make sure they are fitted into the window frame properly, as said try a small bit of vaseline to help reduce friction on the window glass.

That will damage the seals though.

• Advertisement

Silicone spray is perfect for windows but you might find that you'll need to put silicone spray on the seals again after a few months.
    If it's really only every couple months, this solution is totally worth it.

Btw is boards.ie also having a stroke for anyone else today?

Advertisement