Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Appliances

Options
  • 15-01-2016 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

Hello, just some background info firstly, I've been in my current accommodation for 6 years, if not a little more, and the large white appliances (Fridge, oven, washing machine) all needed to be replaced realistically when I moved in, the place is 17 years old and I think I've still the original ones. We had an inspection the other day where we mentioned (not for the first time either) the issues we have with them. (For instance, the fridge leaks in the summer months, the washing machine sounds like it takes off, I only do half loads for fear of over-loading and we don't even use the oven, we bought our own, halogen oven.) Also, the storage heater in our sitting room is also the original one that was installed when the place was built.

What I'm wondering is, is it reasonable to want all of these items replaced? We've mentioned them all for at least 3 years, but the management has put it on the long finger and now it's all come on at once. Would it be reasonable also to expect our rent to increase considering all the things we really do need to be replaced? Thanks for any input!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What I'm wondering is, is it reasonable to want all of these items replaced? We've mentioned them all for at least 3 years, but the management has put it on the long finger and now it's all come on at once. Would it be reasonable also to expect our rent to increase considering all the things we really do need to be replaced? Thanks for any input!

I think its a case of want over need. Plenty of people who own their own homes have appliances that are very old but work. I've a three year old supposedly frost free freezer that regularly freezes up the fan so it won't freeze; so I have to defrost it with a hairdryer. Were I a tenant instead of a home owner then I'd no doubt be posting an equivalent post to yours.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

They cant increase then rent just because the repairs need doing.

In saying that, however, a lot of people who have been living someone for 8 years are paying under the market rent. If thats the case for you, the landlord could increase it up to the market rate. This is a practical difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think its a case of want over need. Plenty of people who own their own homes have appliances that are very old but work. I've a three year old supposedly frost free freezer that regularly freezes up the fan so it won't freeze; so I have to defrost it with a hairdryer. Were I a tenant instead of a home owner then I'd no doubt be posting an equivalent post to yours.

Plenty of other homeowners fix anything that breaks with them immediately. My dryer is noisy (for a second time, cheap junk) and I've parts ordered; my oven door cracked but didn't fail due to the lamination and I replaced it; etc. If someone's providing a furnished rental I'd expect the items to be fully working and to a reasonable level too.

I'd be looking for a common repairable/replaceable cause to that fan freezing or otherwise taking a small claims case for the product clearly not being up to spec tbh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

L1011 wrote:
    Plenty of other homeowners fix anything that breaks with them immediately. My dryer is noisy (for a second time, cheap junk) and I've parts ordered; my oven door cracked but didn't fail due to the lamination and I replaced it; etc. If someone's providing a furnished rental I'd expect the items to be fully working and to a reasonable level too.

You have to define reasonable though.
    L1011 wrote:
    I'd be looking for a common repairable/replaceable cause to that fan freezing or otherwise taking a small claims case for the product clearly not being up to spec tbh

A good friend who sells appliances fora living told me its almost surely due to a small gap around the door seal. But my point is that I don't find it justifiable to replace when its my own money. I would apply the same principle in the OP's position unless the op is paying for 4* rental accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A very good thread OP. When I moved in here, the plumber told the landlord the old washing machine was dead and he bought a new one. The fridge freezer was ancient so when it started malfunctioning I looked up second hand locally and found a replacement and he was happy with that. Before I have just told the landlord when something has broken and never any issue. BUT I now have my own separate freezer and fridge as well as standby. If their appliances fail then as those appliances are part of the rental yes I will ask they be replaced. Wonder if landlords here would themselves replace faulty appliances in their homes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Why don't you use the oven OP? Why did you buy your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭jaded_pause

April 73 wrote: »
    Why don't you use the oven OP? Why did you buy your own?

It was caked in crap when we moved in, I cleaned it up and tried to cook some food in it, for something that should have taken 12-15 minutes, 30 minutes later the food was almost cooked. We went on with it anyway, things would be cooked eventually, even though your regular everyday pizza would take about 45 minutes to brown off! About 8 months later, my Mother in Law had bought a halogen oven and bought us one too as a gift, since then we haven't even looked at the actual oven. It's super handy, and even if I did get a new oven in the place I'm not sure I'd use it as much as I use the halogen one. To be fair, my priority wouldn't be the oven, it would be a washing machine and the fridge a close second. We also had a plumber in yesterday checking the water heater thingie (sorry, not au fait with the lingo :D ) and he mentioned we could probably do with a new storage heater in our sitting room too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It was caked in crap when we moved in, I cleaned it up and tried to cook some food in it, for something that should have taken 12-15 minutes, 30 minutes later the food was almost cooked. We went on with it anyway, things would be cooked eventually, even though your regular everyday pizza would take about 45 minutes to brown off! About 8 months later, my Mother in Law had bought a halogen oven and bought us one too as a gift, since then we haven't even looked at the actual oven. It's super handy, and even if I did get a new oven in the place I'm not sure I'd use it as much as I use the halogen one. To be fair, my priority wouldn't be the oven, it would be a washing machine and the fridge a close second. We also had a plumber in yesterday checking the water heater thingie (sorry, not au fait with the lingo :D ) and he mentioned we could probably do with a new storage heater in our sitting room too.

Older electric ovens are a pain and very costly to run, and i have always insisted on a gas oven, Here there is a gas hob which is great and a Neff double fan assisted oven which I rarely use and i have a small halogen also but use the solid fuel range oven in winter. I think you mean immersion heater!

Advertisement