Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever find anything useful?

• 15-01-2016 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

Strange subject but I was out pulling some logs out of our river that I'd cut up to stop a log jam and spotted a rucksack under some submerged tree roots. I guessed the rucksack which has all its pockets open and waving in the flow of the water would be full of rocks and silt but fished it out for a look anyway.

Very surprised to pull out a set of mess tins in a mesh bag. Back home they cleaned up almost as good as new. They are nothing great but seemed very strange to find them like that. There's a high bridge a mile up stream and people throw there rubbish over it into the river its also a spot where stolen bags sometimes get thrown way (its a few miles out of town on a bend where no one can see what your up to) so I guess that might be where it came from.

Previously I picked up a handy ax on the beach probably left by someone who had made a BBQ with driftwood.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Built up nearly an entire set of camping equipment (bar tent/bedding) over time from stuff dumped by campers back home in Donegal. Stove, sturdy cooking equipment (from cutlery up to a folding saucepan), some basic tools etc. Was doing a service by cleaning up the area at the same time now that I think of it!

I've a feeling some people get rained out, give up and go for the hostel/a B&B and jettison a lot of gear they realise they don't want to lug back home. Need to be careful you're not actually just swiping stuff someone has left for the day, obviously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I actually found my 6 man tent! I was out hunting on my main spot a few years ago and we came accross a tent in perfect condition, remains of a camp fire and loads of empty cans and broken bottles, this is a sheep farm and this was in an area where the sheep sometimes shelter from the rain and bed down at night. I said it to the farmer and he said get rid that he didnt want people on his land camping and acting the mick so we went back a few days later before he let the sheep in and cleaned up the glass and packed up the tent, i took it home and cleaned it out and it was perfect, i couldnt believe it!

That was probably 4 or 5 years ago, its been used a load of times since camping with the kids and as a base to hunt from on a few weekend trips. its a gelert codiz 6,

http://www.winwood-outdoor.co.uk/acatalog/Gelert_Cadiz_6_six_person_tent.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'm sure I have other stuff but I also found a perfectly good closed cell foam foil backed sleeping mat washed up on the beach. I have a load of them so I used that one to cut down into smaller mats. I have a sit mat cut out of it that fits inside my edc bag.

Iv found a few knives over the years too (and lost plenty for that matter) but thats about it i think. The sitting mats a good idea, been meaning to get one for my hunting kit, never thought of recycling one from an old mat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I find if you cut a closed cell mat to the shape of the back of the inside of your rucksack it helps stop things sticking into your back if you pack it in a hurry and also gives the rucksack a bit of shape when its not full. I don't use a water bag in a rucksack so cut the foam to fit in the area it would normally take up.

I do still have a large opinel knife I found somewhere but can't remember for the life of me where that was. One thing because I used to be a full time gardener I have lost loads of good pairs of secateurs normally to find them rusted up in a compost heap 6 months later.

I tie lanyard now to almost everything that can put down and lost like knives and torches.

• Advertisement

Yeah id ve the same i use a bottle because the bag get dropped on the ground a lot so the mouth piece always get covered in crap if i use a water bag. Must make a few mats

Opinals are the main knife i found too, cheap so people people obviously dont mind loosing them! Iv left more knives on the ground when gutting a load of rabbits.... all my good hunting knives have lanyards though

Advertisement