Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCB Starter Kit/Tools

• 15-01-2016 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

I've dabbled a little before with soldering, etc - but I've a project now where I need to build my own PCB. Nothing complex, I've a SOIC8 chip that I need to connect into a 1 wire system bus for home automation.

Has anyone any recommendations for decent PCB starter kits, which have boards, flux, wire terminals, etc.

Also, anyone any suggestions for starter hot air solder kits?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You don't need too much to work with an SOIC package.

You can buy a carrier PCB that will convert SOIC8 (0.05" pitch) to a DIL8 (0.1" pitch) package.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5pcs-SOP8-SO8-SOIC8-TO-DIP8-adapter-pcb-conveter-board-/180952961067

Then this PCB can be put into a socket on a vero board.
    http://ie.farnell.com/vero/01-0021/veroboard-pcb-121-92mm-x-101-6mm/dp/1536938

I have used the adapter boards, they work fine. But I prefer to do is solder the soic8 directly onto the veroboard. As the pitch is exactly 1/2 you need to split 2 of the vero board traces with a knife and solder the soic 8 on.

Get a soldering iron with a small tip, solder flux, solder sucker, solder wick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭tedimc

Thanks DublinDilbert - just to clarify; are you saying you prefer to solder the chip directly to the veroboard?

I presume place the chip perpendicular to the traces so that each pair of legs lines up with a trace? Then obviously cut the trace so each leg doesn't short?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

tedimc wrote: »
    Thanks DublinDilbert - just to clarify; are you saying you prefer to solder the chip directly to the veroboard?

I presume place the chip perpendicular to the traces so that each pair of legs lines up with a trace? Then obviously cut the trace so each leg doesn't short?

Something like this http://www.beesnotincluded.com/2009/06/surface-mount-soldering-onto-stripboard.html?m=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

For cutting the tracks. Use a 1/4" bit, reasonably sharp, rolled between your fingers, this will cut the tracks cleanly. Just place the bit in an existing hole and turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

tedimc wrote: »
    Has anyone any recommendations for decent PCB starter kits, which have boards, flux, wire terminals, etc.
    Maplins sell pcb kits but they're universally awful.
    PCB making takes time and many failed attempts to get right.

If you're starting out then it's a good idea to reduce the amount of faults that can occur.
    At the moment you can have faults in your design, components and soldering. No sense adding more.
    Also, anyone any suggestions for starter hot air solder kits?

A decent temperature controlled soldering iron would suit better than hot air.
    Farnell sell a Tenma soldering iron for about 6
    50 euro, it's the same as a 100 euro Maplins iron
    Hot air is more commonly used to remove components as you can desolder all the pins in one go.

Advertisement