Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sparks

Options
  • 15-01-2016 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭

I really think moderator Sparks is being unfair here, hes directly insulted me and is taking the whole thread very personally. He even warns me in thread that Im throlling because he disagrees. I have posted links, I have posted facts that are widely accepted but yet I am the one thats being accused here? even the reply from the report is aggressive towards me:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98427282#post98427282

This is from Cass by way of PM, the rules state I should appeal to the mod but he basically tells me where to shove that.

"He used the exact language in the rule.

Secondly, Sparks is a member of the site and the forum. He did not mark his post as speaking from his position as a CatMod/Mod. Had he intended to do so he would have marked the post with a title like "MOD NOTE" and then the text would have been in bold to highlight his comments.

Lastly you are starting to cross the line of trolling. You have been informed that your comments are purposefully provocative, inflamatory and serve only to illicit a reaction from the regular members of the forum. You claim firearms are weapons originally designed for hunting and cite no source material to support this. You ignore responses to your posts, and continue on an anti gun rant. You then cherry picks comments and retaliate without fact or content.

IOW the very definition of trolling. That stops now. Continue on that path and your access to the forum will be removed.

My decision is final and i will not entertain any "appeal". If you are dissatisfied with this you are free to contact the CatMods as i have included them in this PM so that all Mods and CatMods are aware of your "grievance"."

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What ban or infraction is it you're disputing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

I'm disputing that the mods can insult me without issue because when I reported it the second mod then jumped into the thread and basically told me to shove it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from DRP since this isn't DRP related.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'll have a look at this for you esforum. I need to have a proper look through that thread (I've only skimmed it so far). I think that was the first time you had posted in the Shooting forum. The reason I mention that is when someone goes into a forum like that and starts trying to "educate" the regulars about their "topic" it's unlikely to go down well.

Beasty wrote: »
    I'll have a look at this for you esforum. I need to have a proper look through that thread (I've only skimmed it so far). I think that was the first time you had posted in the Shooting forum. The reason I mention that is when someone goes into a forum like that and starts trying to "educate" the regulars about their "topic" it's unlikely to go down well.

granted and accepted but Sparks (as an example) regularily shows up in the ES section and educated us on policing.

I dont intend to post in the thread again, its getting slighly ridiculous at this stage anyway

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK - I think as a non-regular in the forum it helps to take a little time to get to understand the way it operates. As I've already alluded to, heading in there to make a single point like you did can appear quite inflammatory, particularly when you persist despite what would appear to be a contradictory position taken by a number of users.

Now the underlying topic of that thread is of absolutely no interest to me and I do not propose going over any of the points raised there. I will simply say Sparks is a mod of the forum. He took no formal action against you, simply commenting that he thought you were "being a dick" and "trolling to get a rise out of people". Those are entirely reasonable points for a mod to make. "being a dick" is standard terminology used by mods across the site. It is not used to insult users. It is used to describe their posting (and there have been numerous Help Desk and Feedback threads clarifying this)

Clearly you disagree which is why we are here now. However my reading is that was a friendly in-thread mod warning to reign things in. He took no formal action, and hence I think you should simply heed the warning (which you have essentially done with your statement here that you do not intend posting in the thread again)

I have been infracted in the past for calling someone niave but dick is ok??? Attack the post not the poster is the saying and it cant be both, hes either posting personally or as a mod. Cess claimed it was ok because it was personal, not moderating. It cant be both

Also, I offered twice to let it slide and agree to disagree but was attacked and attacked. the second mod even joined in. Its double standards, were constantly being warned in ES that outsiders have every right to post their opinions regardless of past posts, etc.

I shall forget about it and accept your opinion, I was only dipping my toe into a forum that I wont be bothering with now but as soon as I am banned for calling someone a dick I shall return. :)

ah here, now Im a troll, ignorant and uneducated. You cant post an insult then lock the thread as a mod, thats the height of unfair and cass, you know it.

On the point of you being infracted for calling someone naïve - it's a bit strange that you raise that as when I look at your history that card shows up as overturned at the mod's request:confused:

I have already addressed the "being a dick" point if you care to re-read my prior post. It's also covered off in the site FAQs

As I have already indicated I have no interest in the underlying topic and certainly would not claim to have any knowledge of the correct terminology.

The thread has been closed and I support that decision as, since you got yourself involved, it had descended with entrenched views from you on one side and regular members of the Shooting Forum community on the other. No formal sanctions have been issued and so far as I am concerned that is the end of the matter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement