Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conditional Job Offer - requires 2h1

Options
  • 15-01-2016 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I've been given a conditional job offer for next September. I get the job if I get a 2h1 in my degree come Summer. If I get a 2h2, will they drop the offer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

DonalCr wrote: »
    Hi, I've been given a conditional job offer for next September. I get the job if I get a 2h1 in my degree come Summer. If I get a 2h2, will they drop the offer?

Usually yes. I graduated in 2014 and know one person who made their case but they had exceptional circumstances. I also know two people in my year who were left high and dry because they missed out on the 2h1. It's worth getting the head down and ensuring you are well able to get your 2h1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DonalCr

Thanks, it seems pretty harsh to get someone's hopes up and then drop them like that, probably be better off to give offers after exam results come out, but that's reality I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Thanks, it seems pretty harsh to get someone's hopes up and then drop them like that, probably be better off to give offers after exam results come out, but that's reality I guess.

with respect, this is kind of how the world works. Put another way, this company is willing to invest a lot of time and effort in you, by giving you a job training, salary etc.
    Initially all you need to do is prove that you can go from a 2:2 to a 2:1. If you are not willing or capable of doing that, then it would call into question the appropriateness of their judgement to invest in you....
    best of luck with the studies........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

It's harsh, but at the same time if you're lucky enough to be given a provisional offer and you don't put in every effort to meet the criteria then the company can logically presume the offer didn't mean that much to you in the first place.

Advertisement