Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What three questions would you like to ask your local GE candidates?

Options
  • 15-01-2016 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I didn't want to interrupt your General Election thread with a slight tangent, but we're thinking about once again, approaching candidates to get them talking to their voters and constituents on Boards. This forum's catchment area is an obvious choice since we have the Táiniste and the Minister for Health in the mix and it's not going to go all their way I feel :)

So we're looking for some questions from you that you would want to ask them if they turned up on your doorstep or invited you to ask them elsewhere. With that, we'll go to all the Dublin West candidates and look for either their answers directly, or ideally, to get them to come and answer questions here directly.

Thanks for your time folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Hello. ... it's me. from the other side.. I havent seen you for five years ...

When is the luas coming to Blanch ? Make it happen. That would bring so much to the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

When is the luas coming to Blanch ? Make it happen. That would bring so much to the area.

Totally. When we bought in Waterville one of the selling points was the two metro West stops on the Snugborough road. Feels like a dream now.

Also it's pretty incredible that we have no public transport to the airport from D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Dav wrote: »
    Hello all,

I didn't want to interrupt your General Election thread with a slight tangent, but we're thinking about once again, approaching candidates to get them talking to their voters and constituents on Boards. This forum's catchment area is an obvious choice since we have the Táiniste and the Minister for Health in the mix and it's not going to go all their way I feel :)

So we're looking for some questions from you that you would want to ask them if they turned up on your doorstep or invited you to ask them elsewhere. With that, we'll go to all the Dublin West candidates and look for either their answers directly, or ideally, to get them to come and answer questions here directly.

Thanks for your time folks.

My three initial q's:

1. When will a referendum on the 8th amendment be held & what is your view
    2. Taxation. What are your plans & why
    3. Health. What will you do to provide support for carers & the elderly as well as the trolley scandal.
    4. (Sorry have to include) Public transport. D15 has been utterly neglected with transport provision. Why can't we have a service like the Luas? We're just as far out as Tallaght & arguably have a greater population along the line. The bus service is almost non existent and the train overcrowded. I don't think metro north is a solution. What will you do?

I have *loads* more but they'd probably be my top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Fantastic idea, good constituency as well - it'll be a tight finish. Hopefully you can get the full range of candidates, as I know little about the smaller candidates (eg the postmaster candidate Geoff)

1 Despite being the big issue of the century Ireland's record on the environment is very poor. I don't want good soundbites - can candidates defend their (and their parties) record on environmental issues?
    2 Planning - Dublin West has and is being developed rapidly. This government has even reduced building standards to encourage this. What will you do to ensure both quality of developments and to ensure that facilities (transport, education etc) match these developments?
    3 taxation - many are promising tax cuts, increased services, and regressive moves in the budget (Renua being an extreme of this). Can you outline and justify (as realistic, and fair) your parties taxation position?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

1/ Politically speaking where exactly on the spectrum do you stand?
    2/ neo Librealism works Yes or No?
    3/ Will you actually carry out ANY of the promises you make?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

When will the water rates be abolished? only question I care about.

When will the water rates be abolished? only question I care about.

When water can be captured ,treated and piped to your property for free

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

1) Will you campaign to remove abortion from the constitution, and replace it with legislation covering this topic?
    2) How will you improve public transport, particularly to the outer regions of Dublin 15 where there's lucky to be a bus every 30 minutes?
    3) Will you provide for more non denominational primary schools in Dublin 15?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

1: What are your views on repealing the 8th amendment? Not just for tfmr but for all.

2: Transport, what are your plans for transport for dublin 15. The rail service is a joke and so is the bus service especially from places such as mulhuddart.

3: Education, non denominational schools need to become the norm and religious entry into schools needs to be abolished. What are your views on this and what do you propose to do to make this happen?

4: Health, waiting lists are a joke. 3 years to wait for a children's cardiology appointment. 2 for an ENT appointment. 2 years for an occupational therapy appointment! How is the government going to tackle this? How are you going to solve the over crowding in a&e?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

January wrote: »
    1: What are your views on repealing the 8th amendment? Not just for tfmr but for all.

2: Transport, what are your plans for transport for dublin 15. The rail service is a joke and so is the bus service especially from places such as mulhuddart.

3: Education, non denominational schools need to become the norm and religious entry into schools needs to be abolished. What are your views on this and what do you propose to do to make this happen?

4: Health, waiting lists are a joke. 3 years to wait for a children's cardiology appointment. 2 for an ENT appointment. 2 years for an occupational therapy appointment! How is the government going to tackle this? How are you going to solve the over crowding in a&e?

Pretty much all this with additional questions about what they plan to do to address crime and anti social behaviour in the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Just a thought, asking for their views on something will give you an idea of what they're like but asking about policies and across on hospitals, school buildings, transport plans is only going to get stock cut and paste replies prepared by party headquarters or advisers. How much use are those?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

For Labour and FG candidates, I'd ask them to discuss their manifesto for the last election and what they promised last time and compare it to what they actually delivered. That'll be better than stocks answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

athtrasna wrote: »
    Just a thought, asking for their views on something will give you an idea of what they're like but asking about policies and across on hospitals, school buildings, transport plans is only going to get stock cut and paste replies prepared by party headquarters or advisers. How much use are those?

Not that Leo or Joan et all will bother to knock on my door anyway but these are the issues I'm interested in and the answers that I want. If I get a stock answer (like I did when Jack Chambers knocked on my door last week about the 8th amendment) then I'll not be voting for them. Wait times in hospitals are part and parcel in my life at the moment, I have 4 kids, 1 with a known congenital heart defect, that had I not gone through the private system, it's possible that we'd still be waiting on a diagnosis, 1 with a possible congenital heart defect (the one we've been waiting 3 years for, unfortunately we're not in a position for private care any longer) and 1 with Developmental Coordination Disorder and Sensory Processing Disorder and ENT issues.

We've been waiting years for each to be seen to. It's a horrible existence having appointments cancelled, pushed back, told we'd be waiting years for, to be discharged from occupational therapy because she's only allowed 1 block and then have to wait another 2 years for another block because she has to be re referred in each time. To be waiting 2 years to see an ENT who we ended up seeing privately through the HSE anyway on the national treatment purchase fund and then be fecked over when the private and public secretary's had a personal vendetta against each other. I'm sick of it. Absolutely sick of it and if someone comes near my door and dares to try sympathise with me over it but not give me some indication that they'll bring it up if they do get a seat, then they won't even get a look in on my polling card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I would have just one question: what are you promising? The one who promises least will get my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

From a Dublin 15 point of view, I would probably be looking at the following:

(1) Public Transport: Where is DART Underground and electrification of the Maynooth line? Disgraceful they have not been delivered. When will Metro West be built?

(2) Health: Why isn't the National Childrens' Hospital being built at Connolly? We have the fastest growing population, the most kids, access from M50, Maynooth DART and the Metro West. It is the most logical place for it.

(3) Sport: What is being done to make Abbotstown a centre for the local area? What about a small stadium for a local soccer team to compete in LOI? Or for Dublin National League matches? And add-on facilities for the locals?

(4) Education: Coolmine Community School was the first one built, yet loads of others have had rebuilds. Is Blanchardstown being discriminated against? The new areas have non-demoninational schools, why not Blanch parish? What are the plans for ITB?

(5) Housing: Plenty of room for housing. Provide services and build it, but bring all of the above as well.

If metro west was builth then this would bring more employment and more services to the area. It would have a wider impact than just providing transport to the area

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

It's easy to get into discussions so don't forget to ask some questions so that if any candidates do post here they have something clear to respond to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Question: If you are elected as a TD, will you vote in the direction your party WHIP tells you or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

1. Public Transport – Desperate need for bus and rail investment in our area as all rail investment has gone to the northern line. What will they do about it. Is there any chance for Metro West?
    2. Housing – What will they do to bring in certainty for both tenants and landlords and bring in speedy resolution of disputes?
    3. Sport – What will they do about the lack of swimming and sports facilities in the area. Abbotstown is too expensive to be used regularly as a local amenity. We have only 1 pool available to the community, Navan Road has 3.
    4. Health – As Godge said above “Why isn't the National Childrens' Hospital being built at Connolly? It is the most logical place for it.”
    5. Tax – What are their plans for changes to the tax code.

Finally any FG callers will get an earful about the proposed minimum pricing for alcohol and their general nanny state attitude.

• Advertisement

AlanG wrote: »
    1. Public Transport – Desperate need for bus and rail investment in our area as all rail investment has gone to the northern line. What will they do about it. Is there any chance for Metro West?
    2. Housing – What will they do to bring in certainty for both tenants and landlords and bring in speedy resolution of disputes?
    3. Sport – What will they do about the lack of swimming and sports facilities in the area. Abbotstown is too expensive to be used regularly as a local amenity. We have only 1 pool available to the community, Navan Road has 3.
    4. Health – As Godge said above “Why isn't the National Childrens' Hospital being built at Connolly? It is the most logical place for it.”
    5. Tax – What are their plans for changes to the tax code.

Finally any FG callers will get an earful about the proposed minimum pricing for alcohol and their general nanny state attitude.

I think the métro link should be builth. Give it to the private sector with 35/40 year rights and let them build it. It will never be done otherwise

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

@handlemaster - state your 3 questions or don't post on this thread. There are plenty of other threads where metro north and other transport issues can be discussed and you can make your points there. Please read the op again.

What have you personally worked on over the last 12mths for this area ?

What have you done regarding public transport?

What have you done regarding crime ? And what will you change ? To many short sentences been given out / revolving door justice has to stop. 10 convictions 10 yrs is what I want

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

1, What is your stance on the 8th amendment?
    2. What is your plan for our health system?
    3. What's the plan for the economy/creation of jobs etc?

For me the major one is the 8th amendment. I want politicians in who support choice for women. I probably won't get any further than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

1. What is your view on Direct Provision?

2. Name one key policy or key reform you want want to see implemented in the next Dáil?

3. How do you plan to communicate with your constituents?

1. Do you have any training or qualification to be in government
    2. Will you be focusing on national or local issues
    3. How will you ensure that it is more beneficial financially for people to be in work rather than on benefits.

1. Do you have any training or qualification to be in government
    2. Will you be focusing on national or local issues
    3. How will you ensure that it is more beneficial financially for people to be in work rather than on benefits.

Advertisement