Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Jimmy Magee full of himself ?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I know Jimmy personally and I can say that he's a lovely man. Very charming and always has a good story to tell.

His knowledge of sport is pretty encyclopaedic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Liamario

I'd wonder is he as knowledgeable as he makes out he is. He has come out with some ridiculously ignorant statements in the past while commentating.

Also had a weird obsession with the boxer Bernard Dunne if I remember correctly.
    He did indeed and when Bernard was getting beaten in his title defence, Jimmy was still calling it in his favour. I lost all respect for him then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I know Jimmy personally and I can say that he's a lovely man. Very charming and always has a good story to tell.

Ya I will give him that, the only thing he's ever forgotten is when to retire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Liamario wrote: »
    He did indeed and when Bernard was getting beaten in his title defence, Jimmy was still calling it in his favour. I lost all respect for him then.

But if you believe you know everything and your opinion has the weight of the gods you can change the result by......commentating. Typical RTE "personality".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

JupiterKid wrote: »

I remember seeing him on a quizshow there (actually having to answer), looking to see what sort of "memory man" (as he was termed) he was, and shur he didn't have a clue half the time. He also said something like if you retire you might as well not get up or I can't remember it exactly now but it was pretty crude and insulting.

I thought he might have piped down a bit at this stage, sounds like he hasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Met him once in the National Stadium shortly after his wife died, absolute gent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What was that quiz show where he used come on as a guest on as an "ASK JIMMY" section?

How did i watch that sh1t.
    That was "know your sport" where you could win a bag.
    Think the series winner got a white Opel Corsa. They used to have a mystery guest too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Boards would complain about god himself if he was from RTE. Nice happy old man smiling away on the tv, everyone sticks the boot in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I don't know but there's a guy I know called pat MaGee. Most unfortunate name ever for him.

What about his brothers Dick and Phil?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Think the series winner got a white Opel Corsa. They used to have a mystery guest too

And it started at 7:30, after Cursaí, Home & Away, Jo-Maxi, and Dempsey's Den (in that order).

One of my friend's Dad was the answer to one of the questions: who was the only man to ever have played Inter County football for every province in Ireland, was the question (he was a Garda so was moved around a lot and played senior inter county football at Championship level for Waterford, Wexford, Cavan and Sligo).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

blade1 wrote: »
    Anyone else remember the night he was commentator for a boxing match where one of the boxers was black and he said if there is a blackout we might see his boots but maybe not the rest of him. :pac:

Remember that one. He also said as a followup that "some people might think that was racist, but it wasn't".

His boxing commentary was often car crash tv gold - loads of old fashioned inappropriate stuff.

Can't dislike him entirely, his "different class" commentary for Maradona's second goal against England is iconic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Those bloody buzzers! :) Magee not featured in these but when I was younger and he came on, it was time for a piss break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

I think he seems grand - barely hear of him.
    Fleawuss wrote: »
    An egotistical pompous self absorbed bombastic spectator. Who thinks he's the story. I don't care you saw Shergar kick the winning drop goal in the All Irekand hurling final of 1932. FCUK off.
    Jeez. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Is this the bloke who thinks the G in Carragher is silent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

winner got a white Opel Corsa.

What did the losers get,the death penalty?

• Advertisement

He was a missionary priest in Brazil and he fathered a child with his housekeeper.

The child's love of football would prompt Fr. Magee to say "ta se ag imirt peile". The other children called the kid Imirt. Turned out he was useless at football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Hosted by the equally annoying George Hamilton. I used to watch it in spite of the fact that they were on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

"I wonder will his lips swell up even bigger now."

Black player taking a ball to the face when Magee still did RTE Champions League in the late 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

blade1 wrote: »
    What did the losers get,the death penalty?

2 white Opel Corsas, and a know your sport umbrella :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bull, read Pele's autobiography, he had the name from when he was a little kid, one of his father's friends first called him Pele.

His fathers friend Jimmy Magee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

Responsible for one of the most iconic sporting commentaries - in my mind anyway...

A different class......A DIFFERENT CLLLAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSS!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

As far as im concerned he has every right to be full of himself when it comes to sport. He still knows more about sport in one lifetime than ten of mine.

Austria! wrote: »
    Boards would complain about god himself if he was from RTE. Nice happy old man smiling away on the tv, everyone sticks the boot in.

That God fella- thinks he knows it all! The worlds a disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Hammer89 wrote: »

It is silent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,542 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

And it started at 7:30, after Cursaí, Home & Away, Jo-Maxi, and Dempsey's Den (in that order).

One of my friend's Dad was the answer to one of the questions: who was the only man to ever have played Inter County football for every province in Ireland, was the question (he was a Garda so was moved around a lot and played senior inter county football at Championship level for Waterford, Wexford, Cavan and Sligo).

The answer is Seamus Keevans :D

I feel sorry for the poor man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

kupus wrote: »
    As far as im concerned he has every right to be full of himself when it comes to sport. He still knows more about sport in one lifetime than ten of mine.

This isn't acceptable discourse on the Internet. Hate everybody famous.

Hammer89 wrote: »

It is in Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

His attitude to cheating isn't very sporting.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This isn't acceptable discourse on the Internet. Hate everybody famous.
    I think some people here are pretending to hate him for the sake of it. No way could he or George Hamilton really engender that level of anger.

• Advertisement

Why, Pele?

Playing for Waterford,Wexford Cavan and Sligo.

He must have endured some amount of hardship playing for those 4 counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Think the criticism of him is very harsh tbh, i think he seems a very nice man, does a lot for charity as well, Sure maybe he should have retired by now and his commentary in the last few years hasn't always been top notch, that said he had some very funny lines and i always enjoyed listening to him because he said a few things out of the ordinary, I remember for the Willie Casey vs Rigondeaux he was going on about Rigo being a great body puncher, Rigo drops Casey with a shot to the jaw Jimmy goes "There's another crucifying left hand to the body, that one on the jaw though" cracked me up at the time. I like Jimmy think people are being very harsh on him for no reason.

Azalea wrote: »
    I think some people here are pretending to hate him for the sake of it. No way could he or George Hamilton really engender that level of anger.

I grew up in one channel land. Eventually two. There was una voce on tv and radio ie RTE. They thought they were gods and if you look still at some of the salaries they still do. What was really aggravating about McGee was the elevation of the spectator/ commentator above the player. And the sickening sycophancy in RTE of the round of chat shows etc recycling "I was there" as if that was the important thing. They disappeared up their own tail pipe years ago.

When I eventually moved to multi channel land (yes that's how the country was really divided) the joy of watching match of the day or seeing alternative news and current affairs was liberating. Of course they had their own celebrity bs culture and we've all seen the problems with that. And really alternative news only came with the net.

So there's no pretense: I don't need a commentator shouting "different class" to add anything to a match. The goal is iconic as is the cheating with the hand goal but McGee is an irrelevancy to the greatness of both moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Rezident

I was always a fan of Jimmy Magee . . . until the year he was voting on the Ballon d'Or and he didn't even include Messi in the top three players for one of Ireland's votes! Maybe stick to the boxing Jimmy.

"Horst Hrubesch...the MAN...they CALL...the MONSTER".

World Cup semi final, Spain 82 afair.

I grew up in one channel land. Eventually two. There was una voce on tv and radio ie RTE. They thought they were gods and if you look still at some of the salaries they still do. What was really aggravating about McGee was the elevation of the spectator/ commentator above the player. And the sickening sycophancy in RTE of the round of chat shows etc recycling "I was there" as if that was the important thing. They disappeared up their own tail pipe years ago.

When I eventually moved to multi channel land (yes that's how the country was really divided) the joy of watching match of the day or seeing alternative news and current affairs was liberating. Of course they had their own celebrity bs culture and we've all seen the problems with that. And really alternative news only came with the net.

So there's no pretense: I don't need a commentator shouting "different class" to add anything to a match. The goal is iconic as is the cheating with the hand goal but McGee is an irrelevancy to the greatness of both moments.
    I'm not that young - I remember two-channel land and then the homes that just had that or had "the channels" :) but I think the *rage* towards him is weird. Dislike is another matter.

Azalea wrote: »
    I'm not that young - I remember two-channel land and then the homes that just had that or had "the channels" :) but I think the *rage* towards him is weird. Dislike is another matter.

You are confused. I don't know the man at all. I know the role he has played and it's genuinely weird that a society elevates the approved commentator to the status of oracle. And that people still can't see through the damage that elevation does. I guess it applied to a society that was utterly under the heel of various "authorities"

Magee

mansize wrote: »
    Magee

That you Jimmy? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Was never impressed with his boxing commentary.If he did know a lot about it he definitely kept it to himself,a lot of description of the boxers (that we could see),south paw,heavy hitter.

You are confused. I don't know the man at all. I know the role he has played and it's genuinely weird that a society elevates the approved commentator to the status of oracle. And that people still can't see through the damage that elevation does. I guess it applied to a society that was utterly under the heel of various "authorities"

I think you're overanalysing and stretching to breaking point the regard some people feel for this particular commentator.

I think you're overanalysing and stretching to breaking point the regard some people feel for this particular commentator.

Maybe. Maybe not. He's symptomatic of a deference to the "authoritative" voice that has undermined us as a society. IMHO obviously.

Maybe. Maybe not. He's symptomatic of a deference to the "authoritative" voice that has undermined us as a society. IMHO obviously.

🙄

Absolutely. If you're not into sport he barely registers on your radar.

mansize wrote: »
    🙄

Pint, Jimmy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

Liamario wrote:

He did the opposite in london,called it against katie and got most of the fights wrong. Hes raving mad but he had his day ,pre 1996

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

He must have endured some amount of hardship playing for those 4 counties.

Playing for Waterford,Wexford Cavan and Sligo.

Probably never won a championship match and by jesus he tried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

I used to be Jimmy's bin man, he used ti forget to leave out his bins, memory man me arsé

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I remember during the last Olympics one of the Irish lads was fighting someone from India.

Throughout the fight he just referred to him as 'the Indian'. Never bothered to learn his name.

Been living off a reputation for a long time and been calling it in for a number of years.
    Doesn't do research and slow to react to goings on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

In one of bernard dunnes fights. He never mentioned his knockdown . Went silent for 7-8 seconds. And then continued waffling again once the fight started. He was/is the most overrated commentator that has ever been. Spends most of the time talking about the village the boxer was raised rather than the fight. Im sure he is a nice man but his days are over on tv i HOPE.

• Advertisement
Advertisement