Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery for Sub Box Nano?

Options
  • 15-01-2016 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

I've always used mods with a built in battery because getting things wrong in relation to batteries scares me. I've just gotten a Sub Box Nano, not realising that it didn't have a built in battery. I know I need an 18650 battery but I've been looking at a few online and I'm a bit confused. They all seem to have varying Mah numbers. Is there a certain Mah that I need to get or will any 18650 battery do?

Also I've seen a few posts on other websites with people asking which battery to get for this mod, and they were asking for reccomendations for a charger as well. The mod came with a usb charger so I assumed I could charge the battery in the mod using this. Am I mistaken?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I'd recommend any of these 3, and yes you can charge it via the USB port, but it is safer to get a decent charger, especially if you get more batteries/mods in future. I'd recommend the Nitecore chargers.

Samsung INR18650-25R
    LG DBHE4 18650
    SONY VTC5 18650

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Whiplashy wrote:
    I've always used mods with a built in battery because getting things wrong in relation to batteries scares me. I've just gotten a Sub Box Nano, not realising that it didn't have a built in battery. I know I need an 18650 battery but I've been looking at a few online and I'm a bit confused. They all seem to have varying Mah numbers. Is there a certain Mah that I need to get or will any 18650 battery do?

Thanks for putting this post up OP I'm a bit confused myself, I'll be taking note of those batteries thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I'll second Inquitus's post and add that you should not get any batteries by Efest, Trustfire, or any brand with "Fire" in the name. Stick to the main brands: LG, Sony, Samsung. They cost a little more, but they will last longer and have the specs that they claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

Efest are crap, the above posted suggestions are good, Panasonic 3200 mah I have good experience with as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Just bought a new nitecore D2 charger myself, with some new batteries. I went for Sony VTC5, also got one for my partner which is an Imren 40A 3000 mah. All are charging up and running just fine. The Imren has been on the go 2 days now in her VTC mini, and not even half drained :O Seems to be a very nice batt.

Get yourself a good charger, it's a pain to buy if you weren't planning on it, but it's a good investment. You only buy good stuff once ;) I wouldn't ever use the charge ports on these mods, probably fine if you're keeping an eye, but I'd just always prefer a separate dedicated charger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,227 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I got the samsung batteries and a nitecore charger for my subox. They're grand. One annoyance is that when theyre fully charged the charger says 92%. Besides that it's all gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Just picked up a pair of the Samsung 25R's today to replace my aging Sony VTC5's and they are fuppin awesome batteries.

I'm now on my 11th hour of chain vaping and gone through around 15ml's of juice !

Yes you can charge the battery in the mod, BUT its highly probable that the USB port will fall apart within a short time of plugging in and out continually (even only with occasional use my one lasted around 9 months)

Get a pair of batteries and Nitecore i2 or similar charger, they are pretty cheap. You'll always have a full battery on hand and you'll use it anyhow WHEN you upgrade your mod (which around these parts is about 2 weeks :p )

I'd only recommend using the USB charger port if you are stuck in a mates house, camping or somewhere else where its dead handy that you can charge it off a Powerbank ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Just picked up a pair of the Samsung 25R's today to replace my aging Sony VTC5's and they are fuppin awesome batteries.

I'm now on my 11th hour of chain vaping and gone through around 15ml's of juice !

Yes you can charge the battery in the mod, BUT its highly probable that the USB port will fall apart within a short time of plugging in and out continually (even only with occasional use my one lasted around 9 months)

Get a pair of batteries and Nitecore i2 or similar charger, they are pretty cheap. You'll always have a full battery on hand and you'll use it anyhow WHEN you upgrade your mod (which around these parts is about 2 weeks :p )

I'd only recommend using the USB charger port if you are stuck in a mates house, camping or somewhere else where its dead handy that you can charge it off a Powerbank ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

I went for Sony VTC5, also got one for my partner which is an Imren 40A 3000 mah. All are charging up and running just fine. The Imren has been on the go 2 days now in her VTC mini, and not even half drained :O Seems to be a very nice batt.

The IMREN is not the battery you think it is! Warning bells should sound when you see 40A on a battery.

Full on test here:

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/imren-40a-3000mah-18650-bench-retest-results-only-a-17a-battery-damaged-at-30a.718006/

Bottom Line
    In my opinion, this is a 3000mAh battery with a very exaggerated current rating. I've only given it a 17A continuous discharge rating (CDR). It gets badly damaged from just one discharge at 30A. Its appearance is identical to the HG2 but its performance is below it. Its pulse performance is average for a 15A-20A cell, up to about 40A without the voltage sagging very low or overheating.

That other battery that claims it's a Sony VTC5 is 99% likely a fake. Be careful buying batteries, lots of dangerous junk out there.

Grayson wrote: »
    I got the samsung batteries and a nitecore charger for my subox. They're grand. One annoyance is that when theyre fully charged the charger says 92%. Besides that it's all gravy.

Is that the D2 charger? On mine it'll say "charged ALL" [if there's 2 full say.

I think if you leave them in the bays after full charge, after a while they will naturally dip a little, and the charger will pulse them, top them up basically. Could be that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I stick the the blue Samsung's and lg he4.

The majority of the other brands, are just rebrands of those batteries, but they are the ones that didn't make the 'best batch'.

Also, anything that says over about 30A is probably not true.

These 18650 batteries are not generally for public consumption. They are made to be placed inside powerbanks and power tools by other manufacturers. So caution and safe battery practice is advised.

It's good to be cautious, of course, but all batt's bar maybe Efest, are good to go. I say that because I've had some of those leak in chargers on me. Why would Sony re-brand Samsung batteries??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Sony don't make vtc4/5 anymore. They are likely fakes or rebrands.

I can't post links due to log in errors on laptop. But a quick Google of 'Sony vtc' will provide the info.

They also state that these were not consumer products.

Likewise if you contacted Samsung or LG about 18650s you won't get an answer unless you are a manufacturer and already have contacts.

It's a grey area.

All very odd :/ So the 'Sony' I bought recently, isn't actually a true Sony? That's a bit of a piss take, considering the price.

Oh well, all i know is the only batt's I've had trouble with were Efest, and some random one I had with no make, a long while ago.

All very odd :/ So the 'Sony' I bought recently, isn't actually a true Sony? That's a bit of a piss take, considering the price.

Oh well, all i know is the only batt's I've had trouble with were Efest, and some random one I had with no make, a long while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Sony have stopped making them, but there is still some genuine stock out there, there is also a lot of fakes. There's a few guides if you google on how to spot a fake. Is your's real? it could be...

Inquitus wrote: »
    Sony have stopped making them, but there is still some genuine stock out there, there is also a lot of fakes. There's a few guides if you google on how to spot a fake. Is your's real? it could be...

I looked up some comparisons, I still couldn't be certain. Going by some, it seems that mine is genuine, then other images it looks more like the fakes :D

Oh well, it works fine whichever it is.

Advertisement