Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter and rubbish around the county

Options
  • 15-01-2016 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I'm sure this is not just Laois\Portlaosie areas, but is it my imagination or is the litter situation gotten so much worse right now?

I've just returned home after 5 years away and I'm pretty sickened by what we see. My wife is Canadian and she is disgusted by it and I feel ashamed by what I'm seeing. Just in the last 2 months alone we've already had 5 bags of rubbish dumped along our road, the amount of cans, plastic bottles, plastic and general crap is sickening, littered everywhere.

I watched a super cool video of Irish people talking about what it means to them to be Irish and there was an accompanying video on you tube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5gNrs2p__c

...not one person mentions throwing litter on the ground or we never see the crap that I can see everywhere as these beautiful images roll out on the screen. We try to do our best and pick up what we can as we walk dogs and are out and about, and the facilities are SO great in Laois right now for hikes in Sheffield Wood, Togher Wood, Stradbally, The Cut, Abbeyleix etc., all these places have had extensive work done to prepare wooden paths and develop them and its so great to see, but when we go and we see the rubbish that is left behind by w**nkers throwing their s**t on the ground. It sickens and saddens me.

Is there anything more could be done? We could do? Are there any groups already in existence that are trying to clean up Laois and major towns around the county? I know there is the whole tidy towns around the whole county that do FANTASTIC work and I guess its hard to change ignorance and lack of caring that most people have nowadays.

At this time with elections just around the corner I know I'll have my guns fully loaded with questions for these clowns coming begging for my vote.

Anyway, my 2 cents!! Maybe one of the Mods could escalate this thread to a more national topic on boards.ie I just wasn't sure where to put it and I'd love to hear what more people think out side of a solely Laois topic.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 mamalawlor

unfortunately laois in particularly portlaoise is occupied with people that lack education and morals its by far the worst county in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭SeanoChuinn

I'm starting to learn that as we spend more time walking in areas around the county. It's disgusting in most places. Like you said its not a policy or rules change at government level is the problem, its education and morals. I don't know how anyone could stand in a beautiful area and admire a view and then turn around and throw their empty bag of Taytos and can of coke on the ground behind them. Then I guess kids see that and do likewise.
    Today for example...we walked to Conlawn Hill, a good walk out into the Slieve Blooms, and the summit is pretty deserted, its a pretty isolated spot in fairness, no proper paths or anything. Beautiful views and a great walk for ourselves and the dogs. We got to top and there was an empty plastic bottle of coke and some plastic containers jammed under the stones on the summit of the hill waiting for us. Such a let down and embarrassment.

Advertisement