Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 6 logic chip repair?

• 15-01-2016 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

So in March my iphone 6 went weird and died. Blue screen and random shut downs before nada. I put it in recovery mode and that's where it stayed. I've tried updating the itunes etc., but it always ends in an error (23 I think most times.) There was no water damage or drops, it just started happened during a long bus journey.

Now, it was within warranty, but unfortunately I bought the phone in the US and the warranty doesn't work in Ireland. It's now out.

I've brought it to a few phone shops that claimed to be able to go beyond screen repairs, but all said the likes of "the harddrive is gone, there's nothing we can do." etc.
    So far nobody has cracked it open.

Is there anywhere to get this fixed in Ireland, or do I just have myself a shiny paperweight.

Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

FewFew wrote: »
    Hi,

So in March my iphone 6 went weird and died. Blue screen and random shut downs before nada. I put it in recovery mode and that's where it stayed. I've tried updating the itunes etc., but it always ends in an error (23 I think most times.) There was no water damage or drops, it just started happened during a long bus journey.

Now, it was within warranty, but unfortunately I bought the phone in the US and the warranty doesn't work in Ireland. It's now out.

I've brought it to a few phone shops that claimed to be able to go beyond screen repairs, but all said the likes of "the harddrive is gone, there's nothing we can do." etc.
    So far nobody has cracked it open.

Is there anywhere to get this fixed in Ireland, or do I just have myself a shiny paperweight.

Not GSM Solutions anyway!

Did you try the Apple site to troubleshoot? I usually find it decent enough.

Call the Apple store in Belfast? I wouldn't trust anyone else with it.

Did you buy it sim free in the states? Might be getting one myself from the US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Hi,

If there is a shop that can fix it it's e-tech in Dundrum, give 'm a call and they'll be able to tell you over the phone (and give you a quote).
    https://e-tech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Apple will replace it for €320 as a worst case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

OP did you try e-tech?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Not GSM Solutions anyway!

Did you try the Apple site to troubleshoot? I usually find it decent enough.

Call the Apple store in Belfast? I wouldn't trust anyone else with it.

Did you buy it sim free in the states? Might be getting one myself from the US
    Ah, the error numbers it was throwing up suggested it's a logic board yokey problem. It seems rare enough, but after exhausting all the easier fixes, nearly everywhere online said it was a hardware issue (though not a specific one.

Yeah, got it in the states. No problems until this happened. I wouldn't advise it, simply because the warranty only covers the US and they don't except international post etc. It was a good saving at the time, but with the exchange rate as it is, probably not that great.
    flyguy wrote: »
    If there is a shop that can fix it it's e-tech in Dundrum, give 'm a call and they'll be able to tell you over the phone (and give you a quote).
    https://e-tech.ie
    Yeah, so their website led me to believe. I popped in and they tried to reinstall the os, then told me the hardrive was gone and there was nothing to do with it. No mention of replacing anything etc. I wasn't overly impressed I must say. Friendly and it's no fix no fee, but I think the website slightly overpromised. My hopes were high.
    Apple will replace it for €320 as a worst case

Looks like the route I'll have to go down. If only there was a handy apple store. May have to take a trip up to Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Ah, the error numbers it was throwing up suggested it's a logic board yokey problem. It seems rare enough, but after exhausting all the easier fixes, nearly everywhere online said it was a hardware issue (though not a specific one.

Yeah, got it in the states. No problems until this happened. I wouldn't advise it, simply because the warranty only covers the US and they don't except international post etc. It was a good saving at the time, but with the exchange rate as it is, probably not that great.

Yeah, so their website led me to believe. I popped in and they tried to reinstall the os, then told me the hardrive was gone and there was nothing to do with it. No mention of replacing anything etc. I wasn't overly impressed I must say. Friendly and it's no fix no fee, but I think the website slightly overpromised. My hopes were high.

Looks like the route I'll have to go down. If only there was a handy apple store. May have to take a trip up to Belfast.

Did Apple repair or replace your phone for you after? Did it cost 320 pound as another poster said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Did Apple repair or replace your phone for you after? Did it cost 320 pound as another poster said?

Haven't had a chance to chase it up North yet. Will write back if it works. Not looking forward to buying a new one when there's a fancy 7 dues in less than a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

sugarman wrote: »
    For future reference, your warranty is worldwide.
    Ouch...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

sugarman wrote: »
    For future reference, your warranty is worldwide.

Not on phones. They have refused to do warranty repairs on US bought iPhones due to different chipsets. They reserve the right in the warranty conditions to only repair it in the purchase territory, so you'd have to send it back and forward at your own expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

whiterebel wrote: »
    Not on phones. They have refused to do warranty repairs on US bought iPhones due to different chipsets. They reserve the right in the warranty conditions to only repair it in the purchase territory, so you'd have to send it back and forward at your own expense.

My son had a problem with his iphone 5s recently, it was bought in US and I did try the mail in option but told Apple don't do this because of legal reasons. There was Apple+ care on it. I was told to bring it to iConnect in Henry st for repair. Took a few days but there was no problem. I told them it was bought in US and they said it was fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement