Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

License for 125cc and below

• 16-01-2016 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hi,

I live in Spain and want to buy a moped or low power moterbike for work.

Because I have to commute via a motorway a small moped is not possible so I think I need a 125cc bike minimum.

I've been looking for information online but the information has been a been inconsistent so here I am.

I have a 10 year old full Irish / EU driver's license (car).

I always though that I could not drive a motorcycle with this as it's an AM (not an A1, A2 or A license).

I was looking at an Honda CB125 today in a local shop and the sales person said I could drive it with my car license as long as I have had it for 2 years.

As I said I found info online to back this up and to also contradict it.

So what's the story with this? Can I drive a 125cc with my AM license?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

In Ireland, the AM category only lets you ride mopeds with a 45km/hr speed limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Short answer: No. AM lets you ride a 50cc scooter that can do no more then 45 km/h.

Dunno what the licensing regime in Spain is like, but I think the EU is generally standardising, albeit slowly. it's possible the lad in the shop wanted to make a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

Thanks for the replies.

I bumped into some people yesterday who would know and they confirmed that the Irish rule you mentioned is not standard as you can ride up to a 125cc on any A license, once you've had it 3 years.

So yer man in the shop wasn't bull****ting me :D

Would a 125 but ok to take out on a motorway? I'm checking the laws on this at the moment but from a driving point of view would weekly 100km trips be too much for say a Honda CB 125 F (for example)?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

It would be ok for the occasional short journey, but wouldn't be very pleasant.

Top speed is only about 100km/hr so you'll be constantly overtaken and will have no reserve.
    You would be at the mercy of car drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Licensing standardised across the EU from Jan 2013. For a motorcycle up to 125cc you need an A1 license unless the Spaniards got an exemption of some sort which I doubt. If you're using motorways you need a bike that can cruise at motorway speeds, so a 125 is not going to cut it.

You really need to get yourself a full category A license. That way you can ride whatever you want.

Some license info that may help: http://www.magireland.org/a2-license-facts/

• Advertisement
Advertisement