Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German participation in 2016 centenary celebrations?

• 16-01-2016 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

I recall that the 1966 50th anniversary parade had invited German participation, so I wonder if our allies have been invited to participate in the centenary celebrations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Who was there in '66 from Germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭The Chieftain

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Who was there in '66 from Germany?

Kaiserliche Marine

Kaiserliche Marine
    Translation:
    Imperial German Navy.

so you mean veterans of Imperial German Navy.
    anymore details?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

Of course Germany should be invited since they provided the arms for our rebel forces.

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Translation:
    Imperial German Navy.

so you mean veterans of Imperial German Navy.
    anymore details?

Correct.
    I was rather young at the time, but my recollection is that the German veterans were invited, and duly attended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I recall that the 1966 50th anniversary parade had invited German participation, so I wonder if our allies have been invited to participate in the centenary celebrations?
    Allies???

roundymac wrote: »
    Allies???

Quite right, I meant to say"our gallant allies", as per the Proclamation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Sure why wouldn't we invite the representatives of German, along of those of Austria, Hungry, UK, France, Belgium, Italy etc.

Afterall, they are our neighbours and friends within the European Union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

The trouble with inviting Germans into the country , especially with Guns , it might be difficult to get them to go home again !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

I doubt the German military will attend in any official capacity. They don't like to remember any of their military history between 1871 and 1945. The German ambassador might attend though, alongside other countries representatives in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Brindor

Come one German, come all, It'll be a grand time alright.

http://comeheretome.com/2016/01/27/dont-mention-the-war/

Survivors of the German SS Libau (known as the Aud) and the U19 submarine mission to Ireland at Dublin Airport, Easter 1966

Well, on 6 April 1966, five men who took part in the German mission to Ireland arrived in Dublin for the fiftieth anniversary of the Easter Rising. They were Raimund Weisbach (captain of the U19 submarine), Otto Walter, Walter Agustin, Hans Dunker and F. Sohmitz

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Sure why wouldn't we invite the representatives of German, along of those of Austria, Hungry, UK, France, Belgium, Italy etc.

Afterall, they are our neighbours and friends within the European Union.

I think we should invite our historic allies, and leave it at that. The British paraded in Dublin for many a long year, and I see no need for any repeats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I think we should invite our historic allies, and leave it at that. The British paraded in Dublin for many a long year, and I see no need for any repeats.

Unlike a hundred years ago, would they not be now parading under the terms and conditions of our invitation?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

made up mostly of irish born soldiers.

Any seen of our gallant allies in Europe at the centenary celebrations events?

Advertisement