Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballina area, Co. Mayo

Options
  • 16-01-2016 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Anyone any advice regarding the area around Ballina n Co. Mayo?

I'm considering a possible move to the area and looking for help and advice on renting and/or buying in the area. A search on daft.ie doesn't show much in the way of rentals in my price range (low) in Ballina itself.

Is the area prone to flooding, etc.

Thanks

Moderators please move if this is the wrong place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I lived near Ballina when I was first in Ireland and loved it. I would happily go back to Mayo if I had to move. Can you get a map up of Mayo and the area around there online? Killala is lovely and well above sea level etc. Ballina; well I do not like towns so am no help there. But surrounding areas are lovely..Find a map and see which towns etc are nearby. Single person RA is E375. doable on a few properties. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

there are 2 streets in ballina that is prone to flooding, arbuckle row and parts of bachelors walk.

there are a number of letting agents in the town so you could contact them about rental properties, there seems to be loads of them but i'm not looking so i don't know.

on the whole ballina is a nice place to live, a good, busy town center, good enough bars, cafes and restaurants.

there are loads of very active sports clubs in the town GAA, football and rugby of course but also tennis, squash badminton athletics basketball and others. there are plenty of gyms.

there are nice public areas, the town park, beleek woods and enniscrone beach is only a few miles away, there is a cinema and an arts centre and a new museum with nice gardens.

on the down side Ballina has a high unemployment rate and some of the associated social problems but its no worse then most other small Irish towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

My wife is from Ballina so we'd spend a good bit of time there. Like other posters have said it's a decent small town. Beautiful surrounding area too with all of the woods and coastline right on your doorstep.
    The only problem I'd have with Ballina is that it's not the best for shopping or nightlife.

Advertisement