Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Basecamp Query

Options
  • 16-01-2016 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

Is it possible to use Basecamp in advance of actually buying a Garmin GPS unit?

Tentatively planning a trip, 99% certain of the GPS unit I'll invest in, won't be purchasing for some time, but really want to get researching route possibilities well in advance, and Google Maps etc aren't ideal.

Thanks for any replies,

Mark

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Think you can download and install OK without an actual unit, it certainly runs without one. I still prefer the older Garmin MapSource myself but haven't updated Basecamp in 2-3 years so maybe changed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Thanks. I found & downloaded a freeware version, but after all the guff, it said it wasn't compatible with my OS (Vista HP), despite the download site listing it as compatible. I'll keep looking.

Thanks again.

Mark#1 wrote: »
    Thanks. I found & downloaded a freeware version, but after all the guff, it said it wasn't compatible with my OS (Vista HP), despite the download site listing it as compatible. I'll keep looking.

Thanks again.

Running on Win7 here OK. MapSource likely OK on Vista.

I'm on the bottom rung of the understanding-GPS ladder, so please forgive my dumb questions.

Mapsource is an older equivalent of Basecamp?

Mark#1 wrote: »
    I'm on the bottom rung of the understanding-GPS ladder, so please forgive my dumb questions.

Mapsource is an older equivalent of Basecamp?

Yes, it's what Garmin used to bundle with recreational type GPS units. You can get a version here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

but check system requirements.

• Advertisement

Thanks. :)

Seems every download of MapSource I can find online is an update (for which you must already have the full version on your laptop) rather than a full version.

I'll keep looking.

Thanks again.

Advertisement