Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election, what does it mean for Sligo?

Options
  • 16-01-2016 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭

Okay there is a General Election on the horizon and in my eyes this GE could make or break Sligo. I feel that if Sligo people don't get it right in terms of whom they elect, the County could fall further behind the rest of the country in terms of services, infrastructure, etc. Would anyone else agree?

The candidates will start knocking shortly. I know I will be giving them a grilling, they'll have to earn my vote.

I feel Sligo has lost out by not having elected officials with enough influence.

What are people's thoughts on the whole issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

The individual candidates, irrespective of party or no party, will want the best for the region, just like the rest of us.
    But it's the ones who get into government that will make or not make, a difference. The others can lobby all they want but it will still be the government who will make the crucial decisions.
    We have to be realistic about the whole big picture. The country is only just starting to come out of a major recession and we're still a long way off getting everything we wish for. I reckon it'll take another 5 years at least before we can say the country is financially stable.
    and of course in the meantime we can blame whoever we want for the situation we're in. There is/was never going to be a quick fix for our problems.
    The incoming government will face the same issues as the outgoing one. They'll have to cut according to their cloth.
    I'd love a new 7 series BMW but I can't afford one, so I'll have to do with Ford Focus for another while. It's the same with the govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

red sean wrote: »
    The individual candidates, irrespective of party or no party, will want the best for the region themselves

Fixed that for you. John Perry is a case and point

No need to fix anything for me.
    Perry never did and never will get a vote from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

I would be interested to see a comparison of the number of jobs lost vs the number of jobs created in Sligo over the life of this current Government.

Jobs lost in Sligo or anywhere else over the last whatever number of years are not necessarily the result of government decisions. Most jobs in the country are in the private sector and are at the mercy of a number of variables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

red sean wrote: »
    Jobs lost in Sligo or anywhere else over the last whatever number of years are not necessarily the result of government decisions. Most jobs in the country are in the private sector and are at the mercy of a number of variables.

Maybe I should have been asking my question a different way, has Sligo lost out on any new jobs that it might have secured if it had a better road/rail network? And would it have made any difference if our elected representative had been different.

Example the N4, N15, N16 and N17, all these roads ultimately lead to major towns/cities but all have major deficiencies within Co. Sligo but these same roads are by and large much better in other counties. Surely that has had some negative impact on job creation in Sligo?

And I am not putting all the blame on the current elected officials, this goes back to previous Governments.

Advertisement