Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing A Runner/Issue with flatmate

Options
  • 16-01-2016 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi I really need some advise on my current situation.

I'll keep it as short as I can!!

I'm living in a house share with my partner and two others. We moved into a new place last November; and its been a total disaster.

I'm seriously contemplating doing a runner and leaving the keys in the box at the end of the month.

Theres a serious plumbing leak in the cavities of the house and the mold that has been building is unbelievable. The landlord refuses to acknowledge that there is still a problem with a leak-- even though he actually said to me the last tenants who stayed there moved out without paying the final months rent because there was a leak in the cavity!!

Also some sockets downstairs and upstairs and the extractor fan stopped working. The landlord blamed us first and then said he'd send out an electrician first thing-- this was two weeks ago-- still no electrician.

The real problems started when my flatmate J.R. approached the landlord to get a social welfare form signed. He flat out refused to sign this form stating that he wanted nothing to do with social welfare.

According to J.R. the social have no record of this house being registered on their system. The landlord said the house is registered in his wifes name, but when J.R. signed a declaration with social welfare a letter came in the post the following week from the city council addressed to whom I can only presume is the landlords mother; as he said it was his mothers house and he had grown up there.

So as far as we know he is not registered with the prtb; we signed a lease in November which we didnt get a copy of even though we have asked. Have been dealing cash in hand and have no receipts of payment.

I told the landlord this week that were going to terminate the lease at the end of the month and have found another place to live.

Only thing is J.R. doesn't want to pay Januarys rent as he reckons that the landlord won't give us the deposit back.

Should we do a runner or what? I don't think he'll give us the deposit back really. He's fairly unreasonable, but I don't like the idea of doing a runner as I've never been in a situation like this before.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'm moving the to the Accomodation forum. Please note that rules of that forum now apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ah yes, I know this type of landlord well. I can almost guarantee he will not return your deposit. Your best bet is to start moving your stuff out as early as possible and use your deposit as January's rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Withholding rent is illegal. Suggestions to do so are not permitted in this forum

Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Do you really think your landlord deserves to be treated with more respect than he's shown you?

Do the right thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

caontact the ptrb. see if they can talk to this individual.
    after that finish out your lease there and if, for now, you have to let the deposit go, then let it go.
    you sound like you want to do the right thing, even though this landlord hasn't done right towards you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement