Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying Taxes

Options
  • 16-01-2016 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi, I got my first job in Ireland,
    Does anybody know if it's possible to pay taxes being payed in cash?
    I gave my PPS number to my boss, but he still pay me in cash with a discount for the taxes.
    Is there a way to check online if I am paying taxes?
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Call your local Revenue Commissioner's Office phone numbers here

If he is paying you in cash- it is suspicious- however, perhaps your taxes are being paid- who is to tell?

It is highly irregular and unusual for cash-in-hand industries to be tax compliant- even restaurant jobs etc- are normally paid directly by EFT these days. Ring your local Revenue regional office- and once you have your PPSN they can tell you whether they are receiving deductions on your behalf, or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Sparko

Won't revenue only have that specific information from a P35 submission, and depending on when the OP started they might not be included on a P35 until next year?

Has he given you a payslip to detail how your wage is calculated, and if not have you asked for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lynvoh

Sparko wrote: »
    Won't revenue only have that specific information from a P35 submission, and depending on when the OP started they might not be included on a P35 until next year?

Has he given you a payslip to detail how your wage is calculated, and if not have you asked for one?

No, I just asked for a letter to apply for a pps number, once I got it, I passed the number to him to register me in taxes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

lynvoh wrote: »
    No, I just asked for a letter to apply for a pps number, once I got it, I passed the number to him to register me in taxes.

You need to register you for taxes, call Revenue up, tell them where you are working and they will send the details to your employer.

Do you get payslips?

And what industry are you working in?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lynvoh

No, and it's a sales job.
    I will talk to my boss.
    Thanks a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

lynvoh wrote: »
    No, and it's a sales job.
    I will talk to my boss.
    Thanks a lot.

Call Revenue also they can look up you and your employers details.

If you are not getting payslips, I'd be concerned.

It's your responsibility to make sure your tax status is correct, so even if your employer is not paying taxes they should be deducting Revenue can come after you for any due to put it simplistically

Advertisement