Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dismissed within probationary period

Options
  • 16-01-2016 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, so apologies if not. I'm at the end of my tether here.

I got fired yesterday, completely out of the blue. I have been in the company for less than six months, and in my contract it states that the contract can be terminated with a weeks notice from either party within this period.

I'm the longest-serving of my colleagues at the moment (there are five of us with the same title), as there is a very high turnover of staff, which I have now come to realise is because it is an extremely badly-run organisation, the owner of which is a complete sociopath and possibly unhinged.

I called the Workplace Relations Commission for advice, and they basically said there's nothing I can do as he is within his rights to dismiss me without reasonable cause during this period.

I am now faced with the issue of what to do on Monday morning. The reason that he lost the plot and fired me was because I was asking for help with a large case that is due for completion in Monday morning, which he needs my help with. At this stage, I am torn between going in on Monday and demanding an explanation before I even consider working out my notice, or just going in and getting my stuff and telling him where to shove his job. I don't care about a reference, as I can't imagine that it would be a great one anyway. I also don't know if I would be eligible for benefits if I don't work out the notice.

I am basically asking if anyone has been in a similar situation or had any advice? There is no structure whatsoever in the company, so no HR department that I can go to or even a secondary partner. I am so angry and upset that he has done this, every time I think about it I feel sick with rage and shock, as I worked so hard at this job and have never had any complaints whatsoever against me. My colleague are all in shock as well, and obviously concerned for their own jobs now as they will be walking on eggshells for the time being so as not to set him off and end up in the same position.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What's to explain? I'd imagine that he does to everyone, just before their probation is due to end. It's a way that some Irish employers use to manage their liability for redundancy payment. (Yes it sucks. But it's totally legal. To complain about it, see your TD. )

Your colleagues should expect that the same thing will happen to them, too.

If you're going to sign on (you should) then you will need some paperwork for Welfare to say that you were fired rather than leaving voluntarily: getting this paperwork is the only reason for going in next week.

Good luck with the job hunting.

Advertisement