Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rushes - Best time to spray

• 16-01-2016 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been discussed before.
    Just had a walk down the land and a lot of my grazing/silage ground is covered in rushes very bad. Never seen the likes of it before, they just shot up during the winter.
    I'm Wondering when is the best time to spray them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

anytime but best results when they are actively growing and green
    I would spray as soon as you can travel and before june when they start to seed
    If they are all white and dead on top old rushes late in the year etc top them first and spray regrowth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭9935452

RD10 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been discussed before.
    Just had a walk down the land and a lot of my grazing/silage ground is covered in rushes very bad. Never seen the likes of it before, they just shot up during the winter.
    I'm Wondering when is the best time to spray them?

They say when they are growing is best but i have used the weedwiper in late october early november with good results.
    The problem we find with spraying is you need to put out the spray heavy (nearlly twice what the manufacturer recommends) to get a good kill but this stunts the growth so expect a poor crop if you do, hence why lads like the idea of the weed wiper .

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ELP

Going to get a bit of spraying done. Soft rushes and buttercup mainly grass is just about growing here and ground just fit to travel on. With the cold week coming am I better waiting another week or should I work away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

ELP wrote: »
    Going to get a bit of spraying done. Soft rushes and buttercup mainly grass is just about growing here and ground just fit to travel on. With the cold week coming am I better waiting another week or should I work away?

I dont think its too cold. I’d be more concerned about it being dry after spraying so that it doesnt get washed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

9935452 wrote: »
    They say when they are growing is best but i have used the weedwiper in late october early november with good results.
    The problem we find with spraying is you need to put out the spray heavy (nearlly twice what the manufacturer recommends) to get a good kill but this stunts the growth so expect a poor crop if you do, hence why lads like the idea of the weed wiper .

I used to think that too but you dont, used mcpa at 2.7l/ha last year as was recommended on the can and I got a great kill. Use a wetting agent to make it stick to the rushes and get some fert out to push the grass on and you'll have no problems at that rate. Here's what I did last year at that rate and there was a lot of rushes in it. Pic taken yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

I used to think that too but you dont, used mcpa at 2.7l/ha last year as was recommended on the can and I got a great kill. Use a wetting agent to make it stick to the rushes and get some fert out to push the grass on and you'll have no problems at that rate. Here's what I did last year at that rate and there was a lot of rushes in it. Pic taken yesterday.
    I sprayed a month ago with mortone and there dead now. Nothing was growing at time but it hit them

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pure breed

We are going using Agritox 500 on fields for rushes, it's 44% MCPA,
    Wondering how some of ye would dilute it, it says 2.7l/H which is fine but wondering how does that translate into the sprayer ie. One that's 400l capacity.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

pure breed wrote: »
    We are going using Agritox 500 on fields for rushes, it's 44% MCPA,
    Wondering how some of ye would dilute it, it says 2.7l/H which is fine but wondering how does that translate into the sprayer ie. One that's 400l capacity.
    Thanks
    Bit more to it, if you are handy with apps then download an app called pesticide calculator.
    If not then what colour are the nozzles on your sprayer and what will your driving speed be while you spray?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭anthony500_1

Normally they recommend 200lts/ha min. So in a 400lt tank that's 5.4lts and that should spray 2ha. But check the water rate per ha of that actual product.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pure breed

Using a jarmet sprayer, hope to do silage fields in first gear little revs.
    Was thinking of putting 5L into 400L tank?

• Advertisement
Advertisement