Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this stove too big for our needs?

Options
  • 16-01-2016 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all, we are doing a 1000sqm conversion and the moment and have a stove and backboiler going in. We have 9 rads to heat including doubles, water for bath, showers etc. Its our main source of heating, we have high ceilings.
    Plumber said we need 17KW so a 20/21KW stove would be good.
    I saw a 23KW stove which is exactly the one I'm looking for but Im wondering what would the stove be inefficient with the extra 3 KW or would I be burning extra fuel with the higher capacity stove?
    Basically is there any harm in getting the higher capacity stove?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

it is definitely not too big.
    you would be good enough if you were only heating rads
    using the water for baths and showers will eat hot water.

we had a Stanley reginold (roughly 19-20 kw) . it heated our house fairly good but we never used the hot water very much. our showers are electric and no bath.
    we also had a dishwasher so all we used the hot water was for the odd dish or large pot.
    a 20 kw stove will only give 20 kw with the best of firing and with it allowing the max air.

now we have an outside log burner.
    it is 20 kw but gives out 20 when needed. I think we get twice the output from that then the stove. the rooms at the end of the hall are way hotter than they ever were.

I wouldn't recommend a stove anymore after seeing our log burner

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

it is definitely not too big.
    you would be good enough if you were only heating rads
    using the water for baths and showers will eat hot water.

we had a Stanley reginold (roughly 19-20 kw) . it heated our house fairly good but we never used the hot water very much. our showers are electric and no bath.
    we also had a dishwasher so all we used the hot water was for the odd dish or large pot.
    a 20 kw stove will only give 20 kw with the best of firing and with it allowing the max air.

now we have an outside log burner.
    it is 20 kw but gives out 20 when needed. I think we get twice the output from that then the stove. the rooms at the end of the hall are way hotter than they ever were.

I wouldn't recommend a stove anymore after seeing our log burner

Any more details on your logburner,sounds like a good job...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i will get the name in a few minutes

the good .
    great heat and fast
    you can fill it up and be ready to light so that when you get home you only have to put a match to it
    if you use a buffer tank (we didn't) you can have a reserve of water to heat your house when the boiler isn't lighting
    ours is outside in a small shed , all the dirt and mess from ashes and fuel is all outside . the house is a lot cleaner as a result

the bad
    you need a good supply of turf, and timber. no point buying as you need it
    there is a lot of cleaning to be done. you have to clean the inside of it once a week and clean the stainless chimney every 2 months. if you don't it will clog up

overall it is a really good system, but it only suits some people. my father is retired and around most of the time so he keeps it tops up and cleaned out

Advertisement