Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone been to San Antonio Tx and/or Austin?

Options
  • 16-01-2016 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭

Like the look of it, and want to do something different in the US. Been to many of the other big cities, so want to try something different! Maybe take in Austin aswell.

Can get good deals on Skyscanner via Atlanta, Chicago, the usual hubs. I was reading on the Tripadvisor forum for Tx that Austin is great, but we are past our mad youth now, and wonder if Austin is just all great nightlife with little to see?

Anyway, I know that the Riverwalk, the missions and the Alamo are the things to do and see in San Antonio, plus eat loads of tex.mex!. But seems three days is enough for all that.

I just wonder is it worth it? I'd consider going via Chicago, and spending a few days there before direct flight back to Dublin. One of the few cities I haven't been to that I'd be interested in. Any other suggestions after SA?

Thanks if you have any ideas for me!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Did 5 days in SA and took a day trip to the LBJ Presidential Library in Austin which is amazing. Took a spin around Austin and it's definitely on the must visit list.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

athtrasna wrote: »
    Did 5 days in SA and took a day trip to the LBJ Presidential Library in Austin which is amazing. Took a spin around Austin and it's definitely on the must visit list.

Thanks for that.

We do not intend to get a car so did you drive to Austin? I am sure we could grab a megabus for the experience! Would you say an overnight or two in Austin is worth it?

I'm guessing yes, but what attracted you to the place, if you don't mind me asking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thanks for that.

We do not intend to get a car so did you drive to Austin? I am sure we could grab a megabus for the experience! Would you say an overnight or two in Austin is worth it?

I'm guessing yes, but what attracted you to the place, if you don't mind me asking!

We drove, did the library and the big Premium outlets, had an amazing dinner and drove back. There was a lovely feeling around Austin and I really wished we had more time to explore. Loved San Antonio too. Like you we'd done a lot of the big cities before, what we tried to do on our trips was add on somewhere slightly less obvious. San Antonio edged out Albuquerque on that trip ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I was in SA for work a few years ago. It was nice enough, but the river walk kind of felt a bit like disney but with mariachi music everywhere.

I love Austin and go every year for SXSW tech and can't get enough of the place. I'd actually live there (and I don't even drink). It's a great place to visit.

I was in SA for work a few years ago. It was nice enough, but the river walk kind of felt a bit like disney but with mariachi music everywhere.

I love Austin and go every year for SXSW tech and can't get enough of the place. I'd actually live there (and I don't even drink). It's a great place to visit.

Thanks. So tell me about Austin and what's so good about it.

If it is that good, we might go to Austin, take a side trip to SA instead. So sell it to me!

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    We drove, did the library and the big Premium outlets, had an amazing dinner and drove back. There was a lovely feeling around Austin and I really wished we had more time to explore. Loved San Antonio too. Like you we'd done a lot of the big cities before, what we tried to do on our trips was add on somewhere slightly less obvious. San Antonio edged out Albuquerque on that trip ;)

That sounds good. We will get a car for a few days if necessary, but if we are not going into the hills (i.e. city to city) prefer to slum it on PT for the experience, and have had many interesting experiences that way too!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

I'm heading to Austin/Dallas & San Antonio next tuesday, hopefully I'll have good things to report !

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭gmurphy70

My wife and I Took a trip last Sept to Texas to try something different and have to say we had a wonderful experience. People so friendly and welcoming,food is delicious! We flew into Dallas,stayed in Fort Worth for 4 days, got to see the Cowboys in the amazing AT&T stadium, spent an great evening at Stockyard station, spent a day in Dallas,JFK tour etc and also got a baseball game. We then headed to San Antonio via beautiful Hill country,stayed overnight in Fredericksburg.then onto San Antonio and have to say it's a really buzzing city and the riverwalk is so nice,easily spend a few evening in there,food is so so tasty! Spent a day in New Braunfels tubing down the guadalupe river,so much fun and a great way to cool down,went to a show at the famous Gruene hall and also caught a band in an outside arena on outskirts of San Antonio, Helotes, really enjoyed the whole country scene, do go to a lovely spot called Luchenbach in the hill country close to Fredericksburg,easily a day trip to both and definitely worth it. Austin then was a smaller city but my god it was electric,great music scene here also,got to see amazing bands each night in Austin. Would highly recommend the trip, there was 4 of us,we done a house exchange in Fort Worth and San Antonio which My wife and I Took a trip last Sept to Texas to try something different and have to say we had a wonderful experience. People so friendly and welcoming,food is delicious! We flew into Dallas,stayed in Fort Worth for 4 days, got to see the Cowboys in the amazing AT&T stadium, spent an great evening at Stockyard station, spent a day in Dallas,JFK tour etc and also got a baseball game. We then headed to San Antonio via beautiful Hill country,stayed overnight inas ideal and spent 2&1/2 weeks there, we easily could of spent much longer and will certainly go back ,definitely the friendliest state I have been in. Was such an amazing trip and wouldn't hesitate going back in a heartbeat. You will have a ball! Any questions you have don't hesitate to ask

mark_jmc wrote: »
    I'm heading to Austin/Dallas & San Antonio next tuesday, hopefully I'll have good things to report !

Have a great time. Looking forward to your report!

gmurphy70 wrote: »
    My wife and I Took a trip last Sept to Texas to try something different and have to say we had a wonderful experience. People so friendly and welcoming,food is delicious! We flew into Dallas,stayed in Fort Worth for 4 days, got to see the Cowboys in the amazing AT&T stadium, spent an great evening at Stockyard station, spent a day in Dallas,JFK tour etc and also got a baseball game. We then headed to San Antonio via beautiful Hill country,stayed overnight in Fredericksburg.then onto San Antonio and have to say it's a really buzzing city and the riverwalk is so nice,easily spend a few evening in there,food is so so tasty! Spent a day in New Braunfels tubing down the guadalupe river,so much fun and a great way to cool down,went to a show at the famous Gruene hall and also caught a band in an outside arena on outskirts of San Antonio, Helotes, really enjoyed the whole country scene, do go to a lovely spot called Luchenbach in the hill country close to Fredericksburg,easily a day trip to both and definitely worth it. Austin then was a smaller city but my god it was electric,great music scene here also,got to see amazing bands each night in Austin. Would highly recommend the trip, there was 4 of us,we done a house exchange in Fort Worth and San Antonio which My wife and I Took a trip last Sept to Texas to try something different and have to say we had a wonderful experience. People so friendly and welcoming,food is delicious! We flew into Dallas,stayed in Fort Worth for 4 days, got to see the Cowboys in the amazing AT&T stadium, spent an great evening at Stockyard station, spent a day in Dallas,JFK tour etc and also got a baseball game. We then headed to San Antonio via beautiful Hill country,stayed overnight inas ideal and spent 2&1/2 weeks there, we easily could of spent much longer and will certainly go back ,definitely the friendliest state I have been in. Was such an amazing trip and wouldn't hesitate going back in a heartbeat. You will have a ball! Any questions you have don't hesitate to ask

That sounds amazing! Thanks for taking the time to give such a great overview.

Might hire a car after all, seems to be the best thing to do in order to see as much as possible.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement