Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun safe height!!!

Options
  • 16-01-2016 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

We'll lads, I bought a browning maxus 30" model. The problem I have is it's 1310mm long and won't fit in my infac safe unless broken down as the safe is only 1300mm in height. I know a 1500mm safe can be got but most have a 200mm box in the top. So my question is, on the ones with the box in them, does the box go all the way across or is there room up the side for a barrel or two?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

We'll lads, I bought a browning maxus 30" model. The problem I have is it's 1310mm long and won't fit in my infac safe unless broken down as the safe is only 1300mm in height. I know a 1500mm safe can be got but most have a 200mm box in the top. So my question is, on the ones with the box in them, does the box go all the way across or is there room up the side for a barrel or two?

Saw a bit off the stock or the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Most of the 3-5 gun safes with a top box have no gap. but you could always cut into the top box.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭philmire

A hole saw could sort your problem

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

So my question is, on the ones with the box in them, does the box go all the way across or is there room up the side for a barrel or two?

I have an Infac, 8 gun, safe. The top shelf is not a separate lock box just a shelf, and on the right side is a 3" wide section cut from it. The cut out goes from from to back bar one inch on the front and back to give the shelf rigidity. I bought the safe for this exact reason as my FTR rifle would not fit into my Buffalo River safe because of the lock box on top (it was either this or put the rifle in diagonally which turned my 6 gun safe into a 1 gun safe).

A friend of mine has, over the years, ended up with most of his firearms being long guns. I mean 50" overall length on average. He cut the top shelf out of one of his safes entirely. Just empty the safe, remove the foam (or anything flammable) and cut out the shelf. Either that or try for a full length safe with no shelf.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

I have a Buffalo River 6+ gun safe and to the right of the top box, there is about 4 - 5 inches of a floating shelf with a piece of carpeted wood on it which can be removed. I've a maxus in there no problem and had a FTR rifle with 30inch barrel in there with the shelf removed, again, no problem and perfectly vertical as well. Im guessing it depends on the model of safe.

You could also just disassemble the gun before you put it in the safe too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

You can take off an inch of the butt and replace it with a removable buttpad.
    Atleast you dont have to break it down each time.
    The pads comes with various thickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tilt it to the side?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭12gaugedave

Thanks for all the options lads.I'll just have to go to all the dealers around and see can I have a look before I order a new one as I don't really want to start cutting holes or the like in a new safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Brattonsound do a 9 gun safe without a shelf. I had to buy it to fit my semi - auto with 30" barrel and extended choke. The safe is 1500mm high o/d and only slightly less inside.

Advertisement